Pike in Rice Lake??

TJQ

As I understand it, the Kawartha area waters ran over limestone mostly which affected the ph balance that pike were not campatible with...maybe the pollution over the years have changed this...Simcoe has pike and the Bay of Quinte has pike so it was just a matter of time that they showed up in the Kawartha System...that would also explain where the crappie came from...

Edited by Beans

there is 100% confirmed pike in rice lake as is a few of the other kawartha lakes it just takes years to verify as I went through this a few years ago in a lake in haliburton,trying to tell the MNR there was pike in a certain system,and they didn't believe me till I actually caught more and took pics,then they tell me they want a scale sample....they finally caught one in a net and then confirmed they are there so it is a process to get a species confirmed in a body of water...

there is 100% confirmed pike in rice lake as is a few of the other kawartha lakes it just takes years to verify as I went through this a few years ago in a lake in haliburton,trying to tell the MNR there was pike in a certain system,and they didn't believe me till I actually caught more and took pics,then they tell me they want a scale sample....they finally caught one in a net and then confirmed they are there so it is a process to get a species confirmed in a body of water...

A time stamped GPS on photo is not enough???

A simple picture shows date time and location

Silly MNR

As I understand it, the Kawartha area waters ran over limestone mostly which affected the ph balance that pike were not campatible with...maybe the pollution over the years have changed this...Simcoe has pike and the Bay of Quinte has pike so it was just a matter of time that they showed up in the Kawartha System...that would also explain where the crappie came from...

The PH explanation sounds a little far fetched to me. The Kawartha Lakes have existed for less than 200 years. The weren't in the Kawartha Lakes hundreds of years ago because the lakes didn't exist. I think it has just taken this long for them to spread into the new habitat.

I have mixed feelings about the pike in the Kawarthas.

Yes they will pressure the Muskie. And may wipe them out in 20+ yrs.

I like a good fish fry.

Sometimes slot eyes are hard for me to catch on Pigeon especially in the summer.

Pike don't have a slot and are good eating if deboned.

Not sure how they will impact the rest of the game fish.

?

Some lakes have zero issues housing musky and pike.

Look at LOTWs for example.

Every species thrives in that lake

True, but those are usually bigger deeper lakes. And the muskies that live in those lakes are a different strain than the ones that live in the Kawarthas. I don't think the Kawartha muskies will do well with pike.

True, but those are usually bigger deeper lakes. And the muskies that live in those lakes are a different strain than the ones that live in the Kawarthas. I don't think the Kawartha muskies will do well with pike.

Yeah, my comment wasnt to say everything will be fine.

I dont know the chain of lakes so Im just learning from whats been said on here in numerous threads, and from alot of knowledgeable and passionate anglers.

I hope it doesnt cause issues for the lake(s) and or there is a reasonable solution.

If I was there, id be teaching people to fillet pike.