Cougars in Haliburton

chris.brock

I emailed my grandmother and she said what she seen many times on the top of the drive was a Lynx. She even said some times it would lay there in the shade for hours. She ALWAYS looked outside before we were able to head off to the treefort we made in that area...

They have said there are cougars in Ontario... They just cant confirm if they are escapees or natural

Because they were released by the MNR to try and slow down the coyote growth. And trust me there are LOTS of those buggers around here...

One winter at our place in Grand Valley both of my parents saw a large cat in our back yard.

I asked them to describe it to me and it was definitely a cougar.

Wish they thought of taking a pic. :(

If I had a nickel......Really, I'm not hard to convince....just some solid proof. I hope Chris's samples prove to be that, it would make the woods that much more interesting.

I just read in Ontario Out of Doors that the Lanark County Stewardship Council is hosting a "wild cats of Eastern Ontario workshop."

Here is a link from their website:

http://lanarkstewardshipcouncil.ca/#!/wildcats

This is co-sponsored by OFAH Zone F. OFAH, out in front of the MNRF, as usual................

Doug

I've had three coworkers tell me about seeing a cougar in the area of keele st and teston rd in the north end of Vaughan in march.

Back in the mid 80's I lived and worked at Beechwood. We were always amazed by the diversity of wildlife we would spot so close to Toronto. There were always deer and yotes in the back 40, and twice we spotted a lynx.

An update if anyone's interested. The biologist has all the pictures of the prints that I have. He said he wanted the scat but I haven't heard back from him and I'm not going to bug him. It's been about a week since I emailed the pics. I know the MNR is understaffed and busy. I'm not holding my breath though.

The guy that said claws in the pic- pretty sure that's just hair imprinted in the snow when it moved forward.

Like Singing Dog, I'm skeptical too, but I've seen big feline prints a few times over the years. It's the first time I have some scat.

keep plugging Chris.If they are here, they are very elusive, hope they will be found and protected.

I live next to the Kortright Centre for Conservation which has a good variety of wildlife. I took two of my grandsons in for a hike/walk and after viewing the information board and what they COULD see, I told them they would have to be quiet if they wanted to see some of them! we saw a hawk, with their screaming and running in the trees and trails everything else was hiding . Good three hours of fun.

An update if anyone's interested. The biologist has all the pictures of the prints that I have. He said he wanted the scat but I haven't heard back from him and I'm not going to bug him. It's been about a week since I emailed the pics. I know the MNR is understaffed and busy. I'm not holding my breath though.

The guy that said claws in the pic- pretty sure that's just hair imprinted in the snow when it moved forward.

Like Singing Dog, I'm skeptical too, but I've seen big feline prints a few times over the years. It's the first time I have some scat.

Hey Chris-- a whole week--just kidding -Scat is DNA--am with Shag here i think

My best guess as a layman--There are cougars in Ontario--in addition to the Barfly variety-:-)

Paul

Edited by icedude

Interesting topic to say the least that has been talked about for years . I have my own story that I don't talk about too much because I don't want

people to think I'm crazy but I know what I saw . About 8 years ago I was driving in the area just NW of Orangeville when I seen something walking

on the side of the road . It was approx. 100 yards in front of me and I first thought it was a big dog which didn't really alarm me but as I got a bit

closer I realized it wasn't a dog but couldn't really tell what it was . I quickly sped up to see if I could identify the animal and of course it disappeared

down into the ditch in the blink of an eye . There were two things that really stuck out with this encounter and one of them was the animal had a long

thick tail that I immediately noticed as I got closer and realized it was not a dog and the second thing was where I seen the animal it was fairly open

farm land and a fence row with scrub and trees . I was not that far away from the animal when it jumped into the ditch (dogs don't evade) and I fully expected to see it in

the field or in the tree line but do you think I seen it again , no chance ! What ever it was, it made off at lightning speed or was good at hide and seek .

Now , I know what I saw that day and the details are etched strong into my head. I still can't imagine it would be a cougar but that is the only thing

it could of been. I Believe !!!!

My fathe inr laws friend shot one , it was in the tree above the kids play set just outside smiths falls. He had tried calling Mnr as he had sighted it a few times. They said no such thing. They showed up a few days after he shot it looking for the raido collar it was wearing.

Edited by Freshtrax

I've positively seen two. One was at Lingham lake. One was closer to home around Janetville. The one I saw by janetville jumped clear across a 2 lane road in one leap. The one at Lingham lake walked across an opening along the shore of the lake in a very secluded bay. Thought it was a deer at first, but there is no mistaking a big cat like that. We were only about 70yds from it.

There is no mistaking the tail on these cats. And the size of them is scary!

I hope you get some info back, Chris. Would love to hear it.

S.

He had tried calling Mnr as he had sighted it a few times. They said no such thing. They showed up a few days after he shot it looking for the raido collar it was wearing.

Very interesting. I'm of the idea they DID or DO have a few out there to try and fight the Yote problems. In Lindsay there is a TON (or sounds like it) of Yote's yipping in the North end almost nightly. Next time I see my cousin who (last I was aware) worked for MNR in PTBO I'm going to have to remember to ask her a few things and this is one!

I've positively seen two. One was at Lingham lake. One was closer to home around Janetville. The one I saw by janetville jumped clear across a 2 lane road in one leap. The one at Lingham lake walked across an opening along the shore of the lake in a very secluded bay. Thought it was a deer at first, but there is no mistaking a big cat like that. We were only about 70yds from it.

There is no mistaking the tail on these cats. And the size of them is scary!

I hope you get some info back, Chris. Would love to hear it.

S.

Yep. See my experience. 50 or 60 yards in a few bounds.

Us outdoor folk know thats no bobcat or lynx lol

BIG CATS

I love the MNR conspiracy theories that float around out there. I do dragonfly surveys and help with the Ontario Herp atlas, and get told several times every year that the MNR releases them to control (pick one) mosquitoes, blackflys, stable flys....

Cougars to control coyotes. Massassauga rattlesnakes to control turkeys. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. We have a local guy that swears he has killed "a bagfull of rattlesnakes" on his property, and that the MNR released them to control turkeys. Same story.....the pics always mysteriously disappear.