Loose Lips Sink Ships

Old Ironmaker

By the way I was born the week of Hazel hitting. TO got it worse than we did.

My folks had a new home built at Leslie & Lawrence in Don Mills in 1954 and the day Hazel hit was the day we moved in. Long time ago and I was only 7 but I remember it like it was yesterday and can still see our stuff blowing down the street. West end of Toronto got hit far harder then we did in the east end though and if I recall correctly 88 people died in the Humber River area.

Lousy day for Toronto.

Edited by lew

I wouldnt read too much into it Iron.

I honestly feel like spam bots etc are making up a large portion of that anonymous number.

Seriously, do we actually think a crowd of 300 people are on here unregistered attempting to get intel? The majority of the crap on here is just political rants and questions about sonar units.

I post reports, yes i do not reveal exact spots but I would be crazy if I thought it meant that people were now fishing my area more. At most you might have someone saying hmmm i was thinking of fishing either French river or Pointe Au Baril, ive seen AKRISONER catching fish in PAB I think we should try there this year.

You have to feel pretty special if you think a fishing report that says "I fished Georgian Bay/The Kawarthas/ Lake Ontario/ or lake simcoe and now everyone wants to fish there because of you lol.

You wanna try fish Pointe Au Baril, go right ahead! I will tell you right now I am 1000000x more concerned of the fact that when im in my honey hole, boats driving by see me in my honey hole, than someone on here saying hey AKRISONER fishes in Pointe Au Baril and catches fish!

Edited by AKRISONER

I honestly feel like spam bots etc are making up a large portion of that anonymous number.

Seriously, do we actually think a crowd of 300 people are on here unregistered attempting to get intel? The majority of the crap on here is just political rants and questions about sonar units.

I post reports, yes i do not reveal exact spots but I would be crazy if I thought it meant that people were now fishing my area more. At most you might have someone saying hmmm i was thinking of fishing either French river or Pointe Au Baril, ive seen AKRISONER catching fish in PAB I think we should try there this year.

You have to feel pretty special if you think a fishing report that says "I fished Georgian Bay/The Kawarthas/ Lake Ontario/ or lake simcoe and now everyone wants to fish there because of you lol.

You wanna try fish Pointe Au Baril, go right ahead! I will tell you right now I am 1000000x more concerned of the fact that when im in my honey hole, boats driving by see me in my honey hole, than someone on here saying hey AKRISONER fishes in Pointe Au Baril and catches fish!

You haven't been here long enough to have experienced what these types of boards can do to locations and people. Check back in, in a few years and let us know what you have found out.

HH

I think we overestimate the influence these type of fishing boards have. e.g. I live next to the Notty. The number of people fishing nearby varies a lot, depending on the river conditions and how well the fish are biting. It doesn't at all depend on anything posted on the boards---I have never seen anything specific. Everyone knows about this spot----fishermen come from TO, Hamilton, all over. They've been coming for years(more like decades) long before the existence of fishing boards.

Just remember how prevalent texting is and how quickly word spreads----he told 2 friends, the told 2 friends etc, etc, etc. The very definition of exponential increase.

You haven't been here long enough to have experienced what these types of boards can do to locations and people. Check back in, in a few years and let us know what you have found out.

HH

ive been here 3 years and consistently posting reports...no change what so ever so far except that I have learned a lot, Ive met a few cool people and have gone fishing with them and learned a lot from them.

Thats about it.

If you want to try fishing in my area go right ahead, i spent 10 years fishing my area and without the right techniques, patterns etc I didnt do well for a very long time.

I have had people reach out to me directly including a couple of guys asking me specifically for GPS co-ordinates to my best spots and I simply brushed them off. Thats about the extent of it.

I hope if you fish PAB you get your bait from Dennis in PAB, anything I can do to keep his business alive.

Edited by AKRISONER

When it comes to seasonal stuff like steelheading, reports can absolutely make a huge difference. I've seen it more then once. Also, you ever wonder why there seems to be a floatilla of pontoon boats floating down the Notty on any fishable weekend? You think it was like that 5-6 years ago? I'm guilty of it myself unfortunately, it sucks because I can't take any of those reports/pics back.

My folks had a new home built at Leslie & Lawrence in Don Mills in 1954 and the day Hazel hit was the day we moved in. Long time ago and I was only 7 but I remember it like it was yesterday and can still see our stuff blowing down the street. West end of Toronto got hit far harder then we did in the east end though and if I recall correctly 88 people died in the Humber River area.

Lousy day for Toronto.

I remember having to walk in the pouring rain from College and Yonge Streets to Coxwell and Gerrard Streets as the streetcars were not working...The streets were like having to wade a shallow creek at every intersection...The babysitter gave me crap for being late...LOL

I agree with most of what you're saying...especially the political and electronics line! Too funny. But, Pointe Au Baril is a very large area with countless individual structure targets. A very different scenario than what has been experienced in southern Ontario. Bill's example of the Notty is bang on. A complete stranger can break it down in a day by people watching alone. You know that you could fish PAB every weekend for a decade and not fish the same spot twice if you chose to. In addition, and most importantly, it's not 40 minutes from Toronto. You could increase the number of fisherman up there on any given weekend by 50 guys and never notice(other than the ramp)...try that same number on most rivers or a lakes.

You're young, I predict that one day years from now you'll be posting about how you'd fish all day and not see another boat. Don't expedite that, just enjoy it now. :good:

I agree with most of what you're saying...especially the political and electronics line! Too funny. But, Pointe Au Baril is a very large area with countless individual structure targets. A very different scenario than what has been experienced in southern Ontario. Bill's example of the Notty is bang on. A complete stranger can break it down in a day by people watching alone. You know that you could fish PAB every weekend for a decade and not fish the same spot twice if you chose to. In addition, and most importantly, it's not 40 minutes from Toronto. You could increase the number of fisherman up there on any given weekend by 50 guys and never notice(other than the ramp)...try that same number on most rivers or a lakes.

You're young, I predict that one day years from now you'll be posting about how you'd fish all day and not see another boat. Don't expedite that, just enjoy it now. :good:

you are right, the 3 hour drive crazily acts as some kind of force field that keeps the majority of goons at bay.

I fish buckhorn fairly often and I see what a difference that extra hour and a half drive makes.

Lol you got me there as well in reference to never seeing another boat...unless you are targetting eyes in the fall, i can fish all day for smallies in November and never see a soul.

I had a house trailer on a small Kawartha lake for 36 years and the musky fishing was excellent yet very few people ever fished for them there except me. I knew every rock, stump and blade of grass that held fish but most days I had them all to myself

Alot of years I'd average around 100 fish annually and usually get at least 1 a week over 45" with plenty over 50" and one morning I boated 9 fish in 2 1/2 hours.

I used to post a ton of fishing reports on this board over the years but never once did I ever name the lake. Plenty of guys from this board fished with me and I always asked not to name it either.

Don't know if that helped keep the place unknown or not but I imagine it must have helped. I'd think if everyone knew how great the fishing was there it would have been much more pressured.

Haven't been back there for 7 years now but I still never see the name posted on this or any other board and I think that's a good thing but who really knows.

I remember having to walk in the pouring rain from College and Yonge Streets to Coxwell and Gerrard Streets as the streetcars were not working.

That's crazy Norm as that's exactly where we moved from that day.

We left Robbins Ave which was the 1st street south of Gerrard running east off Coxwell. You may have seen my family running around the neighborhood trying to catch all our flying furniture LOL

ive been here 3 years and consistently posting reports...no change what so ever so far except that I have learned a lot, Ive met a few cool people and have gone fishing with them and learned a lot from them.

Thats about it.

If you want to try fishing in my area go right ahead, i spent 10 years fishing my area and without the right techniques, patterns etc I didnt do well for a very long time.

I have had people reach out to me directly including a couple of guys asking me specifically for GPS co-ordinates to my best spots and I simply brushed them off. Thats about the extent of it.

I hope if you fish PAB you get your bait from Dennis in PAB, anything I can do to keep his business alive.

I agree with this on large lakes, sure. Lake O, Georgian Bay, Simcoe, Lake Joseph, Rosseau, its easy to name drop those places. Unless your photos have a landmark in the back or you post your GPS points, its very difficult for people to find where you are fishing.

The reports that always concerned me were the ones that said "(insert lake name) fishing report' for the smaller or back lakes. People can google search and find info or they look at the forum and see the name of a lake. It automatically receives more pressure just because people know the lake exists.

you are right, the 3 hour drive crazily acts as some kind of force field that keeps the majority of goons at bay.

I fish buckhorn fairly often and I see what a difference that extra hour and a half drive makes.

See, that right there is why some of us don't post reports anymore. The lake I fish the most isn't a big lake so it's easy to say "oh I know that cottage and where it is". In fact, I made a new fishing buddy for that very reason via a facebook fishing group post. I was not the poster of the report or pic but I sent him a msg, "see that boat and the Canada flag in the background of your pic over your wife shoulder, say hi that's my place"

See, that right there is why some of us don't post reports anymore. The lake I fish the most isn't a big lake so it's easy to say "oh I know that cottage and where it is". In fact, I made a new fishing buddy for that very reason via a facebook fishing group post. I was not the poster of the report or pic but I sent him a msg, "see that boat and the Canada flag in the background of your pic over your wife shoulder, say hi that's my place"

Pretty sure if I posted the pic of me holding a big ole walleye or bass in front of the 'blue boathouse' a lot of people would know where that is.

So depending on your outlook it can be harmless posting details or it can do great harm. I never thought about the PM scenario. We, well I at least would answer PM's for my Bass spots here on Erie, they can be hot, very hot and it is a massive body of water until one considers how small it can get along the shoreline. And I always presumed most don't eat Bass. Wrong. I'll not be answering PM's with specifics any longer. Want to catch and keep massive Carp, PM me, you can park in my driveway.

A guy at work I hardly knew, came up to me earlier this week actually and said he knows me from OFC. I asked what's his name or handle on the board. He said he just lurks and has been doing so for years. He's probably reading this :)

On another board a guy gave a glowing ice fishing report on a spot near my cottage. I drove by the next Saturday and there was people and pop up huts everywhere.

I carelessly posted a picture and some guys I know recognized the lake. It was a great little lake. It didn't take long for them to keep everything and fish it out, now it sucks.

The moral of the story, reports are great but best be careful.

If you're on here to get spots, you're NOT going to be a registered member. It's one thing to anonymously show up beside you on your spot and play dumb and another to pull up the weekend after your great fishing report and look like a tool if/when recognized. If I wanted to fish a spot I saw here, pm'ing the OP would be the first thing I'd do.

Don't underestimate the far reaching grasp of the info on here. I've googled lakes before and I think every damn time I get a link back to a conversation on OFC!