Recommendations for kicker controls

buckhorn250

Hi

Looking to add a kicker to my Lund Impact 1875. Most likely will go with a used Mercury 15EL with a Panther tilt and trim.

My question is what is the best way to control steering, trottle and shift. Was planning on using a steering bar but still not certain about best controls.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks

Troll masters are great for speed control, I have one on my old boat. I'm actually leaning towards the iTroll for the new one though, I like the idea of the 'hunt' feature and it will also control a remote steering system if I decide to go that way later but for now it's a tie bar. Given the layout of my new boat I had to put remote start/choke, & shift/throttle on it but it gets pretty expensive and you'd likely be fine without it. I often troll with the kicker set straight for propulsion and let the Terrova autopilot steer and trim the speed which works fine too.

http://www.itroll.us/itroll.buy.html

Edited by G.mech

thirty some years ago I went for an EZ Steer, was and still is ridiculously expensive for what you get, but works well

http://www.ezsteer.com/

I dunno why people buy these to be honest. The front mount system we use is so cheap (A piece of threaded rod, 2 ball ends and you're good to go). Plus I don't have to lean over the back of the boat to disconnect it.

I dunno why people buy these to be honest. The front mount system we use is so cheap (A piece of threaded rod, 2 ball ends and you're good to go). Plus I don't have to lean over the back of the boat to disconnect it.

The front mount works great if both motors are mounted on the transom, I tried the threaded rod ball joint route for a couple of years but the geometry of the main on the transom and the kicker on the bracket when lowered to operating position was far back of the main and lower as well resulting in a rod that was crookeder than dog's hind leg and prone to binding, the back of the motor connection was straight across and worked flawlessly.

On the boat in question you should be able to use the front link. The quick disconnect joints are nice so you can easily remove the bar when not in use. You can either buy the quick disconnect ball joints and make your own connecting rod or buy the panther kit and cut/bend to suit:

https://www.amazon.ca/Panther-55-2401-Auxiliary-Motor-Steering/dp/B003E1OBTI

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IVD0LU/ref=pe_140030_221599160_em_1p_0_ti

Note that the thread is 3/8-24-NF so you need a fine thread die to make your own. I just made one for the new boat with 3/8 dia aluminum round bar, threaded the ends and put a piece of 1/2" electrical shrink sleeve over the whole length. Looks like a nice black rubber coating that came from the factory!

Edited by G.mech

The front mount works great if both motors are mounted on the transom, I tried the threaded rod ball joint route for a couple of years but the geometry of the main on the transom and the kicker on the bracket when lowered to operating position was far back of the main and lower as well resulting in a rod that was crookeder than dog's hind leg and prone to binding, the back of the motor connection was straight across and worked flawlessly.

I could see if you ran the kicker on a bracket how the front mounted setup wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

So you got a merc pro-kicker or something then? If you can't reach the tilt button on the side of the motor you can either buy a remote tilt button at Bass Pro or somewhere (I think they are about 60 bucks) and wire it yourself or you can buy a kit from Merc (assuming that's what you got) for about $120 that has a little remote button and harness assembly to make the tie ins all neat and tidy. I have the part number and diagrams for it somewhere if you need them.

I disconnect ours from the kicker when I'm making fast runs with the main. Although it really depends on your setup, both ball ends have lots of movement, you might be fine with keeping it attached all the time. Just check it in the garage before you hit the water.