Video Making

bobowski

I often see some nice video reports that have been edited with music and captions. How are you guys putting together these videos? Is it as simple as using an app on your phone or are you using an editing program on your computer? I have the boys annual fishing trip coming up soon and i would like to put something together when we get back to share with the boys for memories sake. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

There are plenty of apps on your phone that will allow you to create a nice video. You can splice clips together, add transitions, add music, and add captions. The phone apps are usually pretty basic, but they do work and you can upload directly to YouTube. Doing all that on a phone can be tedious and isn't for everyone.

There are a handful of free video editing programs you can download and use on your PC or Mac. If you have a PC that isn't running Windows10, I recommend the free version of Windows Movie Maker. It works well, but is only available for pre-W10 operating systems.

You can also buy entry level stuff for around $60, or more advanced programs for $$$$. I use Wondershare Filmora on my PC. It cost about $70 and I really like it. It's fairly easy to use and works fine. I don't use it to it's potential, but I'm happy with it.

One important thing to know .... it can take a LONG time to edit and build a nice finished product, depending on how much post-production you want to do. For beginners, it's not very intuitive and there will be a learning curve. Also, video editing can really tax your system. Lots of memory, a fast processor, and a bunch of patience is definitely needed.

Microsoft Movie Maker is pretty easy to use, which I use on my Windows PC. However, if you're not familiar with video or photo editing there's a bit of learning curve to any software. I also bought Corel Video Studio, but it stopped working for whatever reason (never again Corel!!). You can also use Blender (which is free), but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is completely new to things.

There are plenty of apps on your phone that will allow you to create a nice video. You can splice clips together, add transitions, add music, and add captions. The phone apps are usually pretty basic, but they do work and you can upload directly to YouTube. Doing all that on a phone can be tedious and isn't for everyone.

There are a handful of free video editing programs you can download and use on your PC or Mac. If you have a PC that isn't running Windows10, I recommend the free version of Windows Movie Maker. It works well, but is only available for pre-W10 operating systems.

You can also buy entry level stuff for around $60, or more advanced programs for $$$$. I use Wondershare Filmora on my PC. It cost about $70 and I really like it. It's fairly easy to use and works fine. I don't use it to it's potential, but I'm happy with it.

One important thing to know .... it can take a LONG time to edit and build a nice finished product, depending on how much post-production you want to do. For beginners, it's not very intuitive and there will be a learning curve. Also, video editing can really tax your system. Lots of memory, a fast processor, and a bunch of patience is definitely needed.

Actually this version of Windows Live Essentials 2012 runs fine on Win 10, even though it isn't listed.

I have it installed on my machine for quick little movie edits.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/14220/windows-movie-maker-download

I have Adobe Premier for detailed and heavy editing.

Very costly and very steep learning curve similar to Photoshop but fer makin' moovees!!! ;)

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out Simon. I will give windows movie maker a try on my PC. Much appreciated.