lake memesagamesing

zenon11

Hi there,

I'm thinking about booking an ice fishing trip to lake memesagamesing at Matthews Little Portage Camp and was wondering if anyone on the board has any experience there. I've developed a reputation for picking duds when it comes to booking lakes and lodges (hence the lack of reports) and was hoping for some input.

Thanks!

PS - if anyone wants places to avoid, send me a PM. I could talk your ear off.

I've developed a reputation for picking duds when it comes to booking lakes and lodges (hence the lack of reports) and was hoping for some input.

Lol, you're not alone. Believe me. Our ice fishing trips over the past seven years have been great fun, but the fishing was always terrible. I've picked every location.........and they still ask me!

Edited by adempsey

I was up there March 2016, two guys, 4 days 3 nights, 2 lakers, 2 herring, a whole lot of mudpuppies after dark. Lakers were taken in the morning, we saw 2 walleye caught the whole time (about 13 people fishing in total). These are not ice bungalows, just day huts. They pick you up and drop you off morning and evening at the cottage. We didn't find out until after we left that the deep hole was 1/2 way between the cottage and the day huts. They said there have been whitefish caught on the lake but no one targets them anymore, everyone goes for lakers and walleye.

Silt bottom for the most part (seen on FishTV). Bring your own emerald shiners as the chubs and darters get less hits. Stomach check on fish caught the last day yielded alot of hellgrammites in the 1.5 inch size in the larger laker. Both lakers were taken with the tip up with minnow suspended 6 inches from the bottom, anything on the bottom will likely get you a mudpuppy. Use sabiki with small flies for the herring when the schools come by, herring sizes were about 20-25 cm.

They make their own maple syrup up there in 3 grades, light, medium and amber. I would suggest getting some from them if you go up there. Much cheaper and better quality than Costco in my opinion.

I was up there March 2016, two guys, 4 days 3 nights, 2 lakers, 2 herring, a whole lot of mudpuppies after dark. Lakers were taken in the morning, we saw 2 walleye caught the whole time (about 13 people fishing in total). These are not ice bungalows, just day huts. They pick you up and drop you off morning and evening at the cottage. We didn't find out until after we left that the deep hole was 1/2 way between the cottage and the day huts. They said there have been whitefish caught on the lake but no one targets them anymore, everyone goes for lakers and walleye.

Silt bottom for the most part (seen on FishTV). Bring your own emerald shiners as the chubs and darters get less hits. Stomach check on fish caught the last day yielded alot of hellgrammites in the 1.5 inch size in the larger laker. Both lakers were taken with the tip up with minnow suspended 6 inches from the bottom, anything on the bottom will likely get you a mudpuppy. Use sabiki with small flies for the herring when the schools come by, herring sizes were about 20-25 cm.

They make their own maple syrup up there in 3 grades, light, medium and amber. I would suggest getting some from them if you go up there. Much cheaper and better quality than Costco in my opinion.

Thanks for the info. Did you guys just fish their huts or did you explore the lake at all?