Quick 8" hole

misfish

Lets see.

40 holes x 10" with still half battery life left = ?

The drill would use more battery the deeper the holes are, more friction once the entire auger is in ice as apposed to 10".

But yeah it probably still fairly good, I dont see why not?

Edited by manitoubass2

How does a full day in cold affect the battery, Do you carry back up battery and/or can you easily convert back to manual by carrying top handle piece

anyone running these with the older standard 18V Dewalt battery

I have the handle with me, JUST encase. Just undo the butterfly bolt, remove and put the handle on. I leave the second battery at home. Have yet to have a need for it. Like I said, I left the auger outside on Saturday. when I got home, put the battery on the charger. would not charge as it was still at full cap. I think Terry was using his dewalt with the 8". Not sure what he thought of it. I know the 6" was a piece of cake when I started with the dewalt 18. With the xrp battery packs though.

I have the handle with me, JUST encase. Just undo the butterfly bolt, remove and put the handle on. I leave the second battery at home. Have yet to have a need for it. Like I said, I left the auger outside on Saturday. when I got home, put the battery on the charger. would not charge as it was still at full cap. I think Terry was using his dewalt with the 8". Not sure what he thought of it. I know the 6" was a piece of cake when I started with the dewalt 18. With the xrp battery packs though.

Better try it again.

When my lithium ion batteries are left in the cold they won't charge either until they warm up.

Same happens if they are too warm after use.

If you are out on the ice all day and intend to drill lots of holes , would it help to remove the battery from the drill after use and keep it in something insulated and warm to keep it from discharging quicker from cold ?

I was thinking maybe using one of those hot packs that you put in your mitts.

Edited by jds63

If you are out on the ice all day and intend to drill lots of holes , would it help to remove the battery from the drill after use and keep it in something insulated and warm to keep it from discharging quicker from cold ?

I was thinking maybe using one of those hot packs that you put in your mitts.

I guess that is a good idea. I could just bring the auger in my flip, as I took the 2nd seat out. I always have the heater on, so ya, that works.

I use my 18V Makita with my 8" Fin-Bor.

I baby it to extend the batteries life. I bring a hot water bottle in a cooler bag just for my batteries. I take the battery off and put it back in the cooler bag after the holes are drilled.

When drilling, I clear the shavings from the hole frequently as I drill.

I had the drill and batteries already but, it will definitely be a consideration when I upgrade. Milwaukee has a 9.0Ah battery out now. Mine are still the 3.0 Ah ones. I bring my 3 batteries with me and I always bring the handle just-in-case.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

I just got a K-Drill not the least expensive option but is very light weight and is specifically designed to be used with a cordless 1/2" drill.

Been using it with an 18v Ryobi and 4amp lithium battery pack. So far not even thinking about ever using a gas powered auger again...

Highly Recommended

Bought mine at Radioworld

Cheers

Here is a link for the K-Drill from Radioworld:

https://www.radioworld.ca/kdrill-idrl08

Looks like it's up a bit in price (Cdn Dollar is killing us on US product)

Here is the link for the K-Drill site:

http://kdrillauger.com/8-inch-k-drill-ice-auger.html

Hope that helps

Randy

Hell, I wont buy a nils for $255, Im sure in the hell aint paying that for the KD. LOL

Thanks for responding though Randy.