Ice fishing newbie

Shloim

How far do you want to go with it? You'll need an auger. You'd be surprised how big of a fish you can pull through a 6 inch hole, and a 6 inch manual auger generally cuts pretty easy. You'll need 2 ice scoops, because you'll eventually drop one down the hole. A second fishing pole as you can fish 2 lines through the ice, and it's good to have a back up. It's nice to have a simple wood tip up as well, and they work great for whitefish! If your fishing minnows get a pail. I use those insulated Coleman drink coolers on the ice. You can usually find one at your local bibles for missions or goodwill for $2-3, perfect for bait! Then just a selection of jigs, a couple slip floats and some hooks and splitshot etc. I use ball head jigs and swim baits, airplane jigs, Swedish pimples, buckshot rattling spoons, jigging rapalas Johnson thinfish, and a selection of genz bugs, but there are lots of good Lures out there! Also get yourself a pair of ice picks to hang around your neck in case you fall in. You've got a flotation suit so your covered there. Also, if you don't have any experience it's best to fish with a friend, and carry a rescue line. I have only had one incident in 25 year of fishing lake Simcoe, but I still go out prepared to have one! As for shelters and whatnot, fish on sunny low wind days and see if you like it, if so then spend the money on a good hut, they are worth every penny!

Edited by porkpie

Rods , assorted lures, good clothing ... start basic ... as much as you can get away with and then if you get hooked ... no pun intended ... first thing is you're going need more money ?

Then the obsession goes to needing, a snow machine, portable Otter XT Pro Cabin, top of the line electronics , booking getaway ice fishing vacations ... be afraid ... very afraid ?

Really, the most important stuff is proper clothing and safety equipment. Be safe. Be comfortable. Good boots, good wool socks, thermal leggings/shirt, a bucket to sit on and a sled to put all your stuff in, not a bad idea to have ice picks in case you go in (can make your own and more important if you fish alone or early/late in the season). I always have a couple hats, a balaclava, couple pairs of thinner gloves and one good pair of gloves/mitts [stuff gets wet]. I typically sit outside a hut and am normally quite comfortable even at low temps due to what I wear. If you use a heated hut, you can obviously get away with fewer layers etc...

Tip-ups are nice too and not that expensive. Not as useful if you're going after panfish though.

Also, don't forget your sunglasses.