Bringing goods into NY state

mike rousseau

Hello

Anybody ever bring used goods across the USA border to remain in the USA?

I sold some lures and shipping from Ontario into the USA is expensive so I'd rather drive them across the border and ship from that side if possible

Anyone ever done this?

Do you have to pay at the border?

Thanks

If you declare the goods on the way in, you will be subject to the law and the way the person you are talking to interprets it. if it's just a few lures, I doubt there will be much of an issue. If it's boxes piled up in the back seat, you will likely have to go through a customs broker, and bend over, if that's the case.

Edited by floatman55

If you are trying to save the person that bought the lures money based on shipping costs, don't! They enjoy a 25% bonus on their money which will let them at least break even on shipping costs. If you are taking them over to increase your profits on selling, then I'd still say don't. It isn't worth it.

However, if you drive a F150 with a 36 US gallon tank, and like to drink beer, and want to take your wife out to lunch, then by all means send from the US. Go over with an empty tank. Gas right now is $2.41/gal. Beer is $10 for 12, and lunch at Olive Garden is wonderful!

Let's look at the facts:

If the across border travel expense is NOT an issue...

You are transporting your own used goods. They are yours just like the box of tools you carry for repairs, the laptop or briefcase you might have, or a change of clothes for an evening out.

Just don't put the final wrap or shipping info on the boxes until you're on the other side. If you get asked at the border about them, they're yours.

If asked, they're in the vehicle because you <took them outta the boat that day, were sorting your tackle boxes, left there since you stored the boat, etc. etc.>

May sound cagey but really do they (crossing guards) know anything you haven't told them?

Wrap 'em & Label 'em at the USPS or UPS store and carry on.

I'd be one to do it if I lived near the border and had other reasons to cross (lunch, show, sporting event, shopping etc) that I could combine with the trip but that's just because I'm cheap. If you're footing the bill for the shipping and the difference (probably considerable) is enough to warrant it - have at 'er!

My $.02 worth, hope it's more for you!

Michael

(PS - toss in a couple of rods for window dressing if it makes you feel better!)

Dang Cagey 'Crossing Guards'-- :wallbash:

A lot of factors involved--not gunnin for honest fisherfolks with a healthy sense of humour from Ontario-To be Sure MIchael-lol

Paul

Edited by icedude

Thanks for all the info

I never lie at customs so some of the advice doesn't fly with me lol

I ended up shipping Canada post and next time I cross I'm gunna ask USA border crossing

Honest man, nothing wrong with that!

With small volume im assuming they will just tax you.

If large volume comes into play later it will be a broker and $$$

So I crossed the border today and asked some questions

If I bring a package through customers to ship as I sold items online I would have to fill out 1-2 forms each time and a $13 USD fee

Add that to the shipping and I'm right back to what I paid to ship from Canada

So I guess I just have to sell more used tackle local