Buckhorn Lake - Open Water!

fisherman7

Hi all, just so you know - the secondary channel of the TSW (the one you take if you're going to Chemong from Bobcaygen) has open water now. This is the area between Fox island and Emerald island.

It was frozen but I think they've final opened up the dams in the town of Buckhorn.

So beware!!!!

Lower Buckhorn also has some open water as can be seen from the webcam from Reach Harbour half way down the lake here is a link to the site if you are interested http://www.reachharbour.com/just click on the webcam button at the top of the page. Unfortunately the webcam from Sunrise resort at the base of the dam no longer apears to be operational.

Kawartha Kev

Managed to get up to buckhorn on Friday. On the way up there was no ice what so ever in Gagnon Narrows. On the way back just a thin coat.

Even our back bays had poor ice. After the next two weeks of forecasted weather I think I have a better chance of splashing my boat then taking the sleds out.

So strange, I had a friend saying she was out all weekend on Buckhorn. Don't know where her boyfriends cottage is. Must have just been in a real lucky spot with thicker ice.

Well not sure what happened Friday night. I heard what sounded like ATVs roaring around the north side of Fox Island. Then around 11pm or so a helicopter flew over my house and looked like it set down behind the island. Fell asleep and didn't hear it take off and didn't see anything on the news.

The open water is on the south side of Fox Island.