Little Lake, Barrie - Ice Conditions

FishFinder17

Hi OFC,

Happy New Year!

So I just bought a new hut (Clam XL4000T), heater, rod and more to get ready for the ice and I'm itching to get out there.

I'm planning to go up to Little Lake in Barrie on Saturday with three buddies and we have been keeping an eye on the forecast hoping for good ice. The boys are a little nervous about ice safety (especially after this rain) so I'm hoping I can gain some insight from some who may live in the area or frequent the lake.

Can anyone confirm how much ice is currently on Little Lake? Anyone planning on fishing it between today and Saturday?

Because I'm organizing the day trip I feel responsible for my friends' safety, so I just want to have some confidence that there's enough ice under our feet.

Thanks in advance,

FF17

drove past little lake on friday and didnt see anyone out there. A mix of rain, snow etc has been making ice conditions crapola up in that neck of the woods. things may have changed over the past few days? or will most likely improve with the upcoming cold snap.

my advice is to Take all precautions. i.e. Carry picks, a float suit, consider roping off to eachother, and spud spud spud.

Edited by AKRISONER

Bad thing is the snow, it insulates the slush from freezing and takes way longer to become something I'd walk on.

Ya that's definitely not going to help. Forecast shows highs only reaching -7 and lows around -15 between now and saturday so hoping that will do the trick.

I'd hold off man.

I assume based on all the new gear, your just getting in to ice fishing?

The ice has been very sketchy this year.

Most places don't have a good base of clear ice. Just a lot of half frozen slush sitting on an inch or two of ice. With all the snow we have in this area, a few really cold nights aren't going to really change that. Unfortunately.

My early season spots in this area are usually locked up tight by now. But I still need to spud my way around. And have had my spud go through in one shot many times..

I'd hold off man.

I assume based on all the new gear, your just getting in to ice fishing?

The ice has been very sketchy this year.

Most places don't have a good base of clear ice. Just a lot of half frozen slush sitting on an inch or two of ice. With all the snow we have in this area, a few really cold nights aren't going to really change that. Unfortunately.

My early season spots in this area are usually locked up tight by now. But I still need to spud my way around. And have had my spud go through in one shot many times..

Thanks NAW. I've been ice fishing for a few years now but usually go out with my brother-in-law who knows the ice a little better than I do - this time I'm organizing the group so don't want to take any chances (also why I had to buy a hut and heater because I can use his lol).

Based on your feedback I'm likely going to hold off unless someone goes out there and finds 6"+ of ice. I have a friend up that way who say's he's going to go check it out so if I get any info I'll be sure to share.

My brother-in-law says he's going to Lake St John on Saturday so we'll see what kind of ice he finds. If Little is a no go are there any other lakes within a half hour that might have better conditions? Might be a silly question but thought I would ask.

Really appreciate your response.

FF17

I saw an ice report from John Whyte that measured 5" of black ice on Couch.

It was on the LSMB Forum, Not sure the exact location. But I am going up tomorrow to poke a few holes and check the ice in a few spots.

If the ice is good, and I end up actually catching some perch, I'll be sure to post up a report for everyone!

I saw an ice report from John Whyte that measured 5" of black ice on Couch.

It was on the LSMB Forum, Not sure the exact location. But I am going up tomorrow to poke a few holes and check the ice in a few spots.

If the ice is good, and I end up actually catching some perch, I'll be sure to post up a report for everyone!

Good to know NAW - hope the ice is good for you! good luck

Thanks Steve - I saw your report on the LSMB, great video.

How do you think the ice is holding up? Will you be back out there before Saturday? I'm thinking I may try Cooch or St John based on some of the reports about Little Lake

Cheers,

FF17

I doubt we lost much ice, but this snow isnt helping to build any, thats for sure

I went to couch today.

The fishing was slow.

But the ice was decent. Like others have said.

There's a decent amount of snow and slush. But it's not that deep. Absolute pain in my butt dragging the sleigh through it!!!

F it, I'm building a Smitty!!

I had to peel my floater and one of my layers off and dry them in the hut..

Which limited me to fishing in the hut. I only managed 3 keepers.

I went to couch today.

The fishing was slow.

But the ice was decent. Like others have said.

There's a decent amount of snow and slush. But it's not that deep. Absolute pain in my butt dragging the sleigh through it!!!

F it, I'm building a Smitty!!

I had to peel my floater and one of my layers off and dry them in the hut..

Which limited me to fishing in the hut. I only managed 3 keepers.

Great news! thanks for sharing.

I'm going to head up on Saturday. Will stop at Little to see how it looks and if it's a no go will continue north to St John

So, is there still access to Little Lake?

My brother-in-law was up there a couple weeks back. said parking was okay (might not be a lot if it get's busy) and can access the lake through the usual spot.

I'm heading up to little/st john tomorrow so might be able to give you more info after that.

Cheers,

FF17