Private Cottage Recommendation for Weekend Ice Fishing Trip

adempsey

Trying to find a private cottage rental for a weekender ice fishing trip in late Feb/early March. This is for 7 adults and a dog (lab mix).

Don't need much, just a watefront cottage on a lake with OK fishing - lake trout, splake, rainbows, walleye, whitefish are all good. We all walk, no ATV/snowmachines.

Would be great to find somewhere on Lake Simcoe near Laker/Whitefish grounds within 1kM from shore. Any lakes in the Haliburton/Minden/Bancroft/Hunstville/Muskokas area are fine.

Feel free to PM me. It's really grueling searching for a private cottage, so I am hoping someone has a recommendation.

Thanks!

Not sure if they still rent in the winter but their cottages are excellent with good walleye / pike fishing / lake trout.

http://www.brookscottages.com/

Thanks! Doesn't look like they do winter rentals any more though.

Im not real picky but good fishing for lakers/whities/walleye. We have sleds and portables so access isnt a big deal.

There are some alright looking places on Simcoe, but not good for us without sleds. Check VRBO.com and Airbnb.com.

It's tough to get any rentals that will take pets. Make sure you tell them you have a dog you want to bring. When I rented my places down south "No Pets", ever.

WHY, dogs people take on their vacations are well behaved pets. No one wants to travel with a dog that isn't trained or disciplined.

WHY, dogs people take on their vacations are well behaved pets. No one wants to travel with a dog that isn't trained or disciplined.

Some places don't want dogs because they shed hair and make a mess of the cabins and create a lot of extra work for the folks cleaning them. I know of at least a couple places that require a deposit that's refunded if there's no mess but keep it to cover the extra expense of cleaning unwanted hair.

Generally No Pets because of what Lew said, plus, not everyone is a dog person. Others in the community don't want to hear barking at anytime when on vacation, not everyone is a dog person. I know folks that have inherited their kids and kids, kids dogs and can't wait to go on vacation to get away from them. Plus insurance for "pet" damages cost money. It is my experience that many rentals are not pet friendly. Unless you are looking at Million $ condos south most condo corps now are "no pets allowed" even for owners, both mine were no pets unless grand fathered in.

Yes, having a pet cuts things down to at least 30%. Still, plenty of places take pets. More in the winter. Comfort Inn takes pets and we would overnight there and go ice/open water fishing for a couple days.

Turns out dog not coming this year.

We booked Ogopogo resort on Mountain Lake.

The owners of Brook's Cottages mentioned this place http://www.matthewslittleportagecamp.com

Looks like a great option. Might try it next year.

Edited by adempsey