New shimano reel

kickingfrog

Sorry if I missed this before but it looks like Shimano has slipped another spinning reel into their line-up. I thought they had too many reels and overlapping price points already, but what do I know. Maybe they end up dropping the one above or below?

NASCI

Between Saros and Sahara

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/spinning.html

I ended up getting it at the LeBaron sale.

Didn't notice it was 5:1.

Wish I got the faster model. Like my Symetres.

Just something to consider, 5 to 1 on that reel is almost like 7 to 1 on a Shimano Curado?

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/spinning/nasci.html

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/baitcast/curado.html

29 inches of line per handle turn compared to 30?

I've heard talk about Shimano coming out in 2017 with a left hand series tranx in 300 and 400 size? Has anyone heard this?

I have heard there is a chance but it could be a fish tale till iCAST comes around or they release the info prior. Doubt the latter...

I had Shimano gearing on a ten speed I bought in 72, I don't recall any fishing gear with their brand on it at that time.

You're right dave, http://www.shimanousa.com/content/Corporate/english/index/portal-site/history1.html, according to this their reels weren't introduced to the American market until 1978.

http://best-spinningreels.com/shimano-reels-history/

I had a number of the original 100 reels, they all went when I found the Bantam MagPlus 251SG, left hand retrieve reels.

the new Ultegra reels are up on Basspro already. For some reason I can't copy and paste the link.

The reel looks amazing, at the price point it should have the direct drive handle which is a big bonus. much more solid cranking than the older key style handles IMO. and no play in the handle itself at all.

but I'm pissed that they didn't include the tapered bail wire into the line roller like the old saros had. should have not done away with that.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

I've heard talk about Shimano coming out in 2017 with a left hand series tranx in 300 and 400 size? Has anyone heard this?

Seen pictures of it so yes, it'll be coming out around icast I would assume. It looks like the same form as the Curado 200i but bigger. Rumour is it'll replace both the Tranx and the Curado 300e and both right and left hand models will be available.

They have a bunch of new JDM reels coming out as well. The only one if the JDM reels I would assume will make it over here is the bean chronarch MGL.

Edited by Lape0019

I had a number of the original 100 reels, they all went when I found the Bantam MagPlus 251SG, left hand retrieve reels.

You got me thinking and I found an early Shimano Bantam 1000 SG Tournament with the paddle style handles squirreled away in the basement. Bought it around 1980 , still in the original box with the little bottle of oil, a few extra parts and a little wench, I was big on salmon and steelhead and had plans but it was too tiny and didn't have enough line capacity, the ultra thin super braids of today were not an option then. Beautiful tiny thing, now what to do with it ?

You got me thinking and I found an early Shimano Bantam 1000 SG Tournament with the paddle style handles squirreled away in the basement. Bought it around 1980 , still in the original box with the little bottle of oil, a few extra parts and a little wench, I was big on salmon and steelhead and had plans but it was too tiny and didn't have enough line capacity, the ultra thin super braids of today were not an option then. Beautiful tiny thing, now what to do with it ?

LOL Dave, fish with it, sell it, collect reels, or give it to the wife - girlfriend instead of a small appliance for Christmas? That could earn you more fishing time? Alone?

Retrieve was like 4:75 to 1? Slow by today's standards? Probably wouldn't hold up using braided lines of today and not a good reel for species like Salmon or big Trout that make long fast runs?

They handle light mono line better than the Abu reels of their day, 10# test would get between the spool and the frame on Abu casting reels, never had that happen with a Shimano baitcaster. On Lake Erie fishing for Smallies or Walleye with lots of open water to play fish you didn't need more than 10# test.

My Abu 5001 lefties were slow retrieve, unlike other Abu reels of the day, righties, I never saw high speed gears available for them, Smallies on Erie could outrun them coming up.

Mine cast well, a small light reel and comfortable to use all day, LOL what can you get these days for 60 - 70bucks? Shimano made a Curado for a time with a 3.8 to 1 retrieve? a crankbait reel? Slow rolling spinnerbaits? That reel isn't much faster?