The Christmas feast

bigugli

No matter how hard I try, I find myself swamped through the month of December. The very last batch of cookies is made with all the grand kids taking partdefault_rolleyes.gif. I just fished cleaning up. At the end of it all, there is a mountain of cakes, cookies, pies and Christmas bread. Enough to feed a ship's company.

Tomorrow, I get down to working on the meals for 3 days of feasting

Bruce, I feel for you :) our Eve is of a seafood kind, Nothing that I have caught :) with a pasta dish to start, after the seafood we go to fruit , and sweats. Torrone and stuff. Espresso . . .

I have 3 of my kids and 5 grands :)

Sunday we are at my daughter's who didn't attend the eve, first time in 8 years.

hope the weather is for us and enjoy the family time. keep safe if you are out. I have to drive Sunday :(

Bruce, you da man. I can only visualize your feast of goodies. No one in my family has come close to me nans mollasses raisin cookies that I miss so much. That was my favorite cookie of the season. there was a family cookie swap last weekend, OMG, these women call them selves bakers? I think they bake them, just to attend the wine tasting. LOL

Albert, your travel will be well my friend. Enjoy your family time. I know I would be like one of the family eating at the middle of the table. I dont speaka the italian,but I can munja with the best of them. And yes, to finish off, a nice cup of expresso with a shot of Grappa, would be the capper. LOL

Buone Feste

I am going to be breaking the turkey tradition some what, and cooking a boiled dinner. (when I get back from fishing that is ) Salt beef and all the fixings. A breast of turkey will grace us. Have not had a boiled dinner in a couple of years, as I have been staying away from the salt content. Im looking forward to the peas pudd,n and gravey. I would make the mollases one, but again, late nans recipe that none can reproduce. Even I.

I NEED ME A NEWFIE FIX

Edited by Brian B

Bruce, I feel for you :) our Eve is of a seafood kind, Nothing that I have caught :) with a pasta dish to start, after the seafood we go to fruit , and sweats. Torrone and stuff. Espresso . . .

I have 3 of my kids and 5 grands :)

Sunday we are at my daughter's who didn't attend the eve, first time in 8 years.

hope the weather is for us and enjoy the family time. keep safe if you are out. I have to drive Sunday :(

I've celebrated a couple of Italian Christmases up in the Soo. On the Eve there is no meat. Lots of Bacala, shrimp and lobster tails and a hearty serving of Polenta, washed down with copious amounts of wine. A Christmas day feast of a roast pig and side dishes beyond counting. I think it took us 2 hours to get through the dinner. To help with the digestion we would go for a caminata with a couple of bottles of wine. Then we would settle down to the desserts

I've celebrated a couple of Italian Christmases up in the Soo. On the Eve there is no meat. Lots of Bacala, shrimp and lobster tails and a hearty serving of Polenta, washed down with copious amounts of wine. A Christmas day feast of a roast pig and side dishes beyond counting. I think it took us 2 hours to get through the dinner. To help with the digestion we would go for a caminata with a couple of bottles of wine. Then we would settle down to the desserts

and --you dessert it Bruce--Peace-like many here perhaps-- have enjoyed your reports over these short years-sharing trials and tribulations and Carp Advise -we've met== Fishing for Tyler and........in a world of negativity you always manage to play a positive spin--Take the High Road--All the Best --Stay the Course and SMILE--hey to LIL Ugly

Paul

Bruce, you da man. I can only visualize your feast of goodies. No one in my family has come close to me nans mollasses raisin cookies that I miss so much. That was my favorite cookie of the season. there was a family cookie swap last weekend, OMG, these women call them selves bakers? I think they bake them, just to attend the wine tasting. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icjv2YS4ca4

Albert, your travel will be well my friend. Enjoy your family time. I know I would be like one of the family eating at the middle of the table. I dont speaka the italian,but I can munja with the best of them. And yes, to finish off, a nice cup of expresso with a shot of Grappa, would be the capper. LOL

Buone Feste

I am going to be breaking the turkey tradition some what, and cooking a boiled dinner. (when I get back from fishing that is ) Salt beef and all the fixings. A breast of turkey will grace us. Have not had a boiled dinner in a couple of years, as I have been staying away from the salt content. Im looking forward to the peas pudd,n and gravey. I would make the mollases one, but again, late nans recipe that none can reproduce. Even I.

I NEED ME A NEWFIE FIX

Brian, Bruce and all OFC. We are fortunate to have enjoyed a family dinner. What was on the table we cherished. Canada has offered a lot more, with hard work, which we appreciate.

Our family respects all traditions. Bruce, Baccala is good but I like mine in olive oil and parley with a bit of garlic , cold. The others like it in a tomato sauce :) again a difference between regions in Italy! my wife made me a portion!

no turkey for us. My son and lawan I shared a 1/2 a lamb which is half will be BBQed on Sunday!

Whatever we have is a lot better than what I read in the news. With people suffering and wars.

Hopefully this will end and we can all live in peace and share our customs.

Who would know that I would meet a NEWF from OFC that we fished the same rivers in parking lot and had a great chat!

And the feasting begins. Must admit we are truly blessed in this land, both in the blessings of family and the bounty on our table.

Christmas Eve is all comfort foods.

Moose sausage, piggies in a blanket, dried sausage, prosciutto and cheeses aplenty, jalapeno poppers with crab, and devilled eggs. Washed down with some beer, and elderberry brandy. Assorted cakes and cookies for dessert.

After that we drove to the Falls to take in the Christmas light displays.

Edited by bigugli

Buone Feste

I NEED ME A NEWFIE FIX

Perhaps you can find a similar recipe here.https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=recipe%20for%20molasses%20raisin%20cookies

Thank you Ralph. I,ll give them a try.

I have all the fixing pretty much ready. There was a time I would boil the beef and drain/ change out the water only once. Today I drained and boiled it 3 times. I guess it,s for the best though. My doc will be happy. LOL

Day 2 of the feast is now in the history books.

We started with a cold plate with 3 different salamis, wurst, brie and 4 other northern cheeses. Plus a plate with 4 different spreads and breads. Don't forget the shrimp.

This was followed by baked spring rolls, egg rolls, mozzarella rolls, chicken breast and quiche pies.

Dessert was Finnish cookies and pulla.

Now to wash it all down with some good old domestic brews.

Very very nice Bruce.

The family went visiting , which allowed me to tend the finishing of the boiled dinner. All arrived in time to be sat,plated and enjoy my cooking. It was an early dinner, as there was other commitments for the son and grandaughter. Nanny is on route with them now.Got all cleaned up here, ( yes, I cook and do clean up duties), quietness is in the air. Time to sit back,reflect,and enjoy a scotch.

Easter will be here soon enough. And it all happens again. LOL

Hope everyone enjoyed thier time with family.

Cheers.

B

Very very nice Bruce.

The family went visiting , which allowed me to tend the finishing of the boiled dinner. All arrived in time to be sat,plated and enjoy my cooking. It was an early dinner, as there was other commitments for the son and grandaughter. Nanny is on route with them now.Got all cleaned up here, ( yes, I cook and do clean up duties), quietness is in the air. Time to sit back,reflect,and enjoy a scotch.

Easter will be here soon enough. And it all happens again. LOL

Hope everyone enjoyed thier time with family.

Cheers.

B

T

And you still find time to fish?

Today is the big dinner. Could not get the family all together til now.

We start of with a turkey complete with stuffing and gravy. Fresh baked rolls. Turnip casserole, creamed onions and sweet squash casserole, broccoli and a mountain of whipped potatoes. Dessert will be homemade cherry or pumpkin pies and a jar of elderberry brandy for toasting.

Today is the big dinner. Could not get the family all together til now.

We start of with a turkey complete with stuffing and gravy. Fresh baked rolls. Turnip casserole, creamed onions and sweet squash casserole, broccoli and a mountain of whipped potatoes. Dessert will be homemade cherry or pumpkin pies and a jar of elderberry brandy for toasting.

I now know where you get your "SANTA" look Bruce. LOL

Enjoy.

Day 2 of the feast is now in the history books.

We started with a cold plate with 3 different salamis, wurst, brie and 4 other northern cheeses. Plus a plate with 4 different spreads and breads. Don't forget the shrimp.

This was followed by baked spring rolls, egg rolls, mozzarella rolls, chicken breast and quiche pies.

Dessert was Finnish cookies and pulla.

Now to wash it all down with some good old domestic brews.

Wait. What?

As in Pulja bread?

Must be. My Finnish heritage used to make the BEST Pulja bread. My great grandmother made Pulja bread with Finnish pancakes.

What I would do for some of Mummo's Pulja and Pancakes.

She also used to make Pulja buns, which were similar to cinnamon buns.....just....well....different :)

Enjoy the holidays and the family kind Sir.

Nothing like my Gram's recipes from home. I grew up in her kitchen learning all the nuances to making good pulla, both as a coffee bread and as a decadent sticky bun. As far back as I can remember, Gram always took time to teach me how to braid so I could make my own tea ring every year.Just can't cheap out on the quantities of butter and cardamom. And the final proof to a good dough was in getting that perfectly smooth satiny texture

There is also no such thing as old, stale pulla. Just slice it thin and toastin the oven to make rusks for dipping in the tea.

May just have to make some sticky buns for New Years

do you have a recipe or ability to make traditional Finnish pancakes?

dipping pulla in coffee was a childhood favourite. :)

I will get the recipe from my mother. It is something I have not interfered with, myself, as that is Mother's special dish