More bucks than doe this winter

lew

Every winter I keep a trough full of a mixture of corn, oats and molasses in the back yard for the deer and usually have about a dozen deer a day stop by for something to eat.

Mostly females, some with young ones, but I seldom see any males until this year and in just the last couple days I've had 5 different males show up and it sure is impressive to watch these big magnificent bucks up close.

None of these pictures are very good and I'm thinking it's time for a new camera but you can get an idea of what I get to watch every day.

They range from a 4 pointer, a 6, a 7, an 8 pointer who lost one antler 2 days ago right up to one that was here twice today and my best guess it has somewhere around 12 to 13 points from what I could see thru the binoculars.

These are all different deer in my yard from the last couple days.

001_5.jpg

The 8 pointer with a full rack

001-001_2.jpg

Same critter with one side missing

003_1.jpg

006_1.jpg

008_4.jpg

And the last one with a HUGE rack

006_2.jpg

Edited by lew

What a cool hobby Lew and a cool thing to do for nature!

My late Father, used to love feeding the birds and particularly the Chickadees because they were so friendly and would always take food from your hand. Well that tradition carried on with me although I don't try to hand feed them.

Nice shots Lew...We don't get as many deer since the guy up the road stopped feeding them (he found out that he could be held responsible if one of them got hit on the road)...We were asked not to feed the birds until the bears were in hibernation...?

Thanks guys, good to hear everybody likes seeing deer and Dara, that's a couple great pics of a lot of deer. Most I've had in the yard at one time was 17.

I've also thought of the trail cam.

Here's a favorite picture I took a couple years ago.

That's a big ole Tom turkey that took up residence in my yard for the whole winter once he found out there was a constant food supply and he didn't care how many deer were already at the trough, he'd just muscle his way in between everybody and gorge himself. Best part was watching the deer move over for him and If he could'nt push his way thru the crowd he'd jump right up into the trough LOL

007-5.jpg

Hey Lew.

Grains like corn and oats are mainly carbs and not very nutritious for the deer if they are eating a lot of it.

You might consider a dairy ration (for cows) that includes some protein ( soy) and vitamins and minerals.

Costs more but more useful to the deer. Especially pregnant does.

I know you like to do things right.

Merry Christmas