Anyone see Bernard Hopkins get knocked out last night? NF

Old Ironmaker

I can't paste the link from You Tube of course. Joe Smith knocked the 40 year old Hopkins clear through the ropes in the 8th round of a scheduled 12 round light heavyweight bout last night. He unceremoniously landed on a few fans in the first and second rows. Hopkins has been retiring for the last 10 years. No way to go out that way. You go out like Peyton Manning did this year holding the Super Bowl trophy.

If anyone can post the link from You Tube I thank you. It's time for me to try
a different browser, Google maybe?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks Brian. That is something you don't see every day. He could have had 20 minutes and he couldn't have gotten back into the ring. No way to end a fantastic career that has gone on 5 years too many, even fighting at 35 is crazy to me. If you listen to Hopkins he said he was pushed out, sorry Bernie you were punched out. As soon as someone helped him up he was automatically DQ'd.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

For sure they do it for the money. The number of past Champs that retire broke is amazing. Big names. Mike Tyson, well everyone knows that story. He has kicked his drug habit and his 1 man stage show a few years back is amazing. If you have never seen it I highly recommend it, he is hilarious, who knew.

The saddest story is that of Heavyweight Champ Joe Louis that died penniless in 1985. He was Champ from 37' to 49' and earned then 4.5 million dollars. He had to turn to Wrestling to help pay off the IRS. He ended up as a greeter at Caesar's Palace. His longtime foe Max Schmeling of Germany helped pay for his funeral. There was no money to bury the man.

Some of those world champs that died broke or are broke, Riddick Bowe, did 5 years for sexually assaulting his baby sitter, Trevor Berbick, murdered by his nephew in Jamaica. Won the title as a Canadian beating the likes of Ali when Ali was a old man suffering from neurological decease. I will never forgive him for that. Leon Spinks, beat Ali for the title in 79' is now a janitor at a YMCA in Columbus. The list is long, too long.

Its not shocking.

When I watched how boxers live their life after they reach fame its rediculous. They spend like nothing ive ever seen before. Plus they roll in crews 20-30 deep and guess whos paying for everything?

Look at fliyd mayweather though. Hes the exception. Smart enough to use his fame to invest and boy is he rollin in dough

My favorite boxer right now is tevin farmer. Phenominal talent. But he is already showing that when he makes it big(which he will) is gonna be one of those washed up broke guys.

I spoke with tevin on instagram a few days back and I told him to stay humble and be smart with his money. He told me hed fly me to philly so he could knock me out. Pretty classy guy. As much as I respect his boxing style, now I went from fan to hoping I get to watch him get his lil ghetto behind kicked

Wow Rick, what a class act he is. Maybe you were talking to one of his "crew". They all seem to have them from every aspect of pro sports, not so much in hockey I think. A 21 year old kid gets signed in MLB, NBA (some are right out of high school) or the NFL that came from humble backgrounds and sign multi million dollar contracts spend 2 years of salary the first year on their crew. I read in a book about Ali that he once had a paid staff of 100 people, if he was your friend you had a pay cheque. The NFL Players association at least runs a rookie and veterans program trying to steer these kids and they are just kids, in the right direction. The average playing career for the NFL is less than 5 years. Most never had a job and don't know what income tax is. Don't tell me they spent 4 or 5 years in University learning anything but working out. Just listen to many, they can't string 2 sentences together. Just axe me, you know what I'm sayin'. The NCAA prepares them for failure. More and more football players are not finishing their Sr. year so they can enter the draft and be able to buy a decent dinner before they are injured and their dollar value plummets. They aren't supposed to take a free coffee now. In one case I read a top prospects family was evicted from their home, Mom and several children and was kicked out of school by the NCAA for accepting money to get the family a roof over their heads. His value dropped several million dollars because of it. But an amateur "Olympian" can take a monthly stipend from the school. I don't get it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No, that was Tevin. We talk(ed) fairly often and now the guy has just let it all go to his head.

All he used to do was keep quiet and train. Really down to earth too. He'd invite anyone in the area to run 6km with him whenever he went out.

No hes got a squad around him and hes asking me If I would tell him if I slept with his women? Like seriously???

And hes chain smoking cigarettes.

Its sad to see really. Hes no doubt set to fight for a belt in 2017. But hes already on the downfall.

If he just stayed humble and hungry he has the potential to be great.

Im also friends with duncan keith, grew up with him and his older brother. Very classy guy! Brings the cup to fort frances. Jokes about us paying for drinks, then pays for it in barter for a fishing trip next year. And guess what? He has no crew. Takes pictures with everyone who asks and remembers my kids names. Even brought them some jerseys last year. My kids asked if he could sign them. He says I didnt bring you jerseys to hang on your wall kiddos, why sign something I excpect you to wear? Lol

The guy is an awesome human, far from me as a kid dropping him upside down into a garbage bin at the fort frances arena around bantam.

I'll have to Google these guys. I'm so far out of the loop these days I can't even see where the loop is.

Googled. No wonder I don't know about Keith, he plays hockey. He's the real deal 3 Stanley Cup rings. I don't know about this Farmer guy. 29-4-1. Not much about him but he is touted as a late blooming up and comer by a Internet blogger.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Tevin farmer is an up and coming boxer from philly, hes 26 years old. If I remember correctly hes fought 29 times, lost 4. Hes got remarkable defensive skills/counterpunching but has lately garnered attention for chasing down opponents. Looks like a young floyd mayweather with more power.

Duncan keith is a defenseman for the chicago blackhawks. Defensive player of the year(norris trophy winner)and a few stanley cup rings to go with it(3). He also has two olympic gold medals playing with team canada.

Hes born in winnipeg but he grew up in fort frances. Hes a few years younger than me. I think hes 33 or 34.

Hope you are feeling better Rick. I'll call you this week. Out all day tomorrow to Hamilton shopping and taking Mom and Dad out for an early Christmas dinner.

Today was slightly less painful?

Crappy day though, I feel bad for Jenn and Karsten. Hes caught the flu and is miserable. And I cant help him.

She finally got him to bed(its 4:21 am)

Hopefully he feels better throughout the day