TSC Lindsay rant NF

Big Cliff

Saturday Sue and I stopped in at TSC here in Lindsay to pick up some Suet blocks that they had advertised at 50% off, only problem was that they had raised the price then advertised them at 50% off which was still higher than I normally pay for them not on special. Needless to say I didn't buy any.

While I was there I noticed a snow blower on special, nothing fancy but it would have done what I needed and it was only $529.99. We were on our way to a friends for our annual Christmas G2G and I didn't have room in the car so I decided I'd just stop in on our way home today. This morning when I got up there is a weather advisory; 10 to 15 cm of snow on the way, yup going to get me that snow blower on the way home!!!!!

We get to TSC before lunch and that exact same snowblower is now priced at $649.99. I talked to the clerk and he agreed that yesterday it was priced at $529.00 but maybe the sale had ended and only the manager could authorize it to be sold at the lower price.

They paged the manager, they phoned the manager, finally after about 15 minutes the manager called them back and told them he would not honor the lower price,if I wanted it I would have to pay the $649.99.

That will be the last time I shop at TSC for anything!

That manager is answering to someone in an Ivory Tower in Toronto. He has about as much say in a discount once a sale has ended as the check out girl at the register. Now the franchisee could have honoured that sale price. The mgr. may have made the call and the owner said no. I don't know.

When I got my BBQ there and knew I was 100% buying it I paid for it and said "I'll pick it up tomorrow when I have the truck" so I got the sale price and they put it together for me at no extra cost. Went back on the Sun with the truck and it was $150 more as the sale had ended. So I hear ya there Cliff. IF you ever go back in there and you know you are 100% going to get it pay and tell them you will come back and get it later with a better way to get said larger item home.

Now, some of the managers at the CTC in town are great and have been known to give "the last sale price" on some things.

Do stores still do a "raincheck" if out of stock or explain why you cannot buy on the spot?

was it in the latest flyer ? that would be a bone worth fighting over if it was. unless they have super fine print

I have the most recent flyer and no that one was not one of the 3 listed. The lowest price unit in the flyer was $949

Looks like TSC has finally caught up with what most retailers do nowadays!

I tell my wife, there is no point shopping on Black friday or boxing day since I don't really see any deals. Some stuff maybe, but for the most part, I think they just raise the price and give the discount and people blindly buy thinking they are getting a good deal. Sometimes people don't look at the price, just the fact that they got a good deal, or so they think!

End of the season deals are the best IMO if you are quick to get them before they run out!

50% off is called a loss leader, meaning we will sell you this and hope you buy something else. And they are making a profit on the loss leader!

I do work for a major Canadian retailer (not CTC) and if you ever read the "fine print" IF you can read it it has all sorts of as they say exceptions. The best I've seen is nothing with prices ending in $.99 or 00.

Just last week I had an item at 85% off and if you use their credit card at 19.99% you get and extra 25%!!!

Holi they are paying you!

Does't work that way when I questioned them IT'S 25% off the price that is listed!!!

So I figure they are making a huge profit and just printing numbers for us to swallow and rush in!

When I got my BBQ there and knew I was 100% buying it I paid for it and said "I'll pick it up tomorrow when I have the truck" so I got the sale price and they put it together for me at no extra cost. Went back on the Sun with the truck and it was $150 more as the sale had ended. So I hear ya there Cliff. IF you ever go back in there and you know you are 100% going to get it pay and tell them you will come back and get it later with a better way to get said larger item home.

Now, some of the managers at the CTC in town are great and have been known to give "the last sale price" on some things.

Do stores still do a "raincheck" if out of stock or explain why you cannot buy on the spot?

^^ This.

When someone here posted about a sale on a Masterbuilt smoker at TSC, I called them up and paid over the phone to be picked up down the road. Too late for you Cliff but maybe call another store to see if they have it on sale and hopefully can ship to your local store.

I don't know how much say the TSC manager has in regard to sale prices, but one thing for sure is that no matter what store it is, all sales have an expiry date. In your case Cliff it seems like the sale date had ended, so I think you may be reacting overly harsh over this. Did you check the sale sign for an expiry or ask a salesperson if the blower was still on sale the next day. If not then I think you should take some of the onus on this. Just sayin'.

Cheers

TSC stores will have all sorts of in house sales. Not advertised, and ending when convenient for the store ( as in when inventory levels are acceptable) We do purchase farm supplies there, and know that you grab the deal the day you see it. The local manager told us that many of the sales are at the discretion of head office. Stuff moves too quickly, they just take the item off the floor.

Not advertised, and ending when convenient for the store ( as in when inventory levels are acceptable) We do purchase farm supplies there, and know that you grab the deal the day you see it.

This is true for ALL bigger retail stores. Example. My parents got an outdoor patio sectional set from Lindsay CTC @ 45% off and the store closer to them had 1 left in stock at FULL price.

Yep, TSC is crap for stock, and service is marginal, but if it's on sale online I've had very good luck ordering to the store. I will agree that if the sale is over, well I guess it's not their fault. I will say that often CTC will honour a sale price if it's within a couple days and you ask very nice, but CTC is pretty good about most things, and their clearances can be unreal. I cleaned up on tackle, electronics, floater suit etc. Last month!

Edited by porkpie

Cliff, I'm done work at 530pm tomorrow and willing to go in on your behalf and see if they would be willing to help out. I'd even put it on my visa and you pay me if so. Your call but you have to TEXT me and you have my cell # if you want me to try for you.

It wasn't advertised in the flyer or I'd have gone in prepared to buy it. It was sitting out side the front door whit a big "Screaming Deal" price tag on it, that was Saturday afternoon. By Sunday morning (and after the snow fall advisory had been posted) the exact same snow blower had a "Screaming Deal" price tag on it but it was the higher price.

As for CTC in Lindsay, they have always been awesome to deal with and will often honor a sale price days or even a week later.

GBW, thank you so much for the offer but my neighbor came over last night, he just got a new plow for his ATV and wanted to know if I would MIND if he cleaned my driveway this winter (just big enough to park 4 small cars). This place is amazing!

I don't shop at TSC too often, but if I do I normally purchase online at the sale price, and then pick up in store whenever convenient. I've yet to run into any problems at TSC Barrie, although they never ever have any of the big sale items in stock - seems like it's always a week or two later that the product finally arrives.

Put new gas in my snow blower this morning and on the 4th pull it seized.

I will have my guy check it. Likely in market for a nice new one.

Like Jimmer said!!!!!! Do you have any way to get it to me in Lindsay, I'd be more than happy to have a look at it for you!