Recommendations on a Musky setup: Left hand baitcaster & 2 Piece rod?

PUMP KNOWS

I wish I could but I didn't post those links

with luck those following who did will. again, good luck

*edit to add* PS make sure the auction doesn't have a "reserve bid" as that's the lowest they will let it go for

Edited by GBW

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks David for the recommendation.

As for the Calcutta Conquest, it went over what I wanted to pay.

I'm actually thinking of pulling the trigger on a Shimano Curado 301E for $340 tax in. Anyone here own this reel? If so what do you like to throw with it?

I was also thinking of buying another setup down the road that can handle bigger baits with a one piece st.croix rod.

But for now I think the curado 301E and a 2 pc st.croixpremier might be it at the moment.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Okuma Komodo, can get in Left with a power handle. Stainless steel gears. Have a KDS-364, 6.4:1 ratio. similar in size as the Curado 300. Been solid for the 2 years I have had it. Also has a clicker on it if you do wish to troll.

Just ordered the new Komodo SS KDS-471, which is a bit bigger, closer to the Tranx and Beast size, but with everything inside Stainless now and a 7:1 ratio. Tough to find in Canada at the moment though.

• 2 months later...

I run a very similar set up the Shimano 201e bantam matched up to a 6'6 St.Croix 2pc med. heavy rod and I have caught countless muskies on it love the set up. Most of my muskies are on the smaller side as the lake I fish Lower Buckhorn in the Kawartha's doesn't have really huge muskies in it although I have heard of a few in the 50" + range being caught and I am pretty sure I have had 48" long fish on but have lost them or even bigger from some I never saw just felt big and broke me off. Personal best is around 42" if I recall I cast and troll a lot favorite lure is a blue fox #5 bucktail black with a bit of red and big silver blade can cast that or troll it all day with my setup. I use some other lures but some like the small bulldawgs are a bit much for the rod to handle. Good luck!!

Kawartha Kev

Edited by Kawartha Kev

Yup, I'm looking for a good deal on a St.Croix 8'6-9' rod so I can do figure 8s on the boat.

I run a very similar set up the Shimano 201e bantam matched up to a 6'6 St.Croix 2pc med. heavy rod and I have caught countless muskies on it love the set up. Most of my muskies are on the smaller side as the lake I fish Lower Buckhorn in the Kawartha's doesn't have really huge muskies in it although I have heard of a few in the 50" + range being caught and I am pretty sure I have had 48" long fish on but have lost them or even bigger from some I never saw just felt big and broke me off. Personal best is around 42" if I recall I cast and troll a lot favorite lure is a blue fox #5 bucktail black with a bit of red and big silver blade can cast that or troll it all day with my setup. I use some other lures but some like the small bulldawgs are a bit much for the rod to handle. Good luck!!

Kawartha Kev

Have you ever tried throwing Vibrax #6? I purchased a few at a good price. Copper Vibrax #6 and I was thinking of adding bucktails to the trebles.

Edited by PUMP KNOWS

Yup, I'm looking for a good deal on a St.Croix 8'6-9' rod so I can do figure 8s on the boat.

Have you ever tried throwing Vibrax #6? I purchased a few at a good price. Copper Vibrax #6 and I was thinking of adding bucktails to the trebles.

I might have made a mistake about the lure identification they may be the Vibrax #6 but still in the same colour pattern very similar to the old single hook Mepps musky killer with just 1 treble hook I'm not a fan of the newer ones with the double hooks.

Kawartha Kev

Edited by Kawartha Kev

Where did you score that? Good deal. Looking for a Curado 301E myself. Best price I've come across so far without too much digging is $279 including tax.

From a local seller. He sold it to me for $210. The cheapest I've seen used was $250 on kijiji

I love the Curado 300 I also use a Calcutta 400 and a Lexa 300 but the Curado is my favourite. That being said I don't generally throw huge baits

Whats the biggest lure you throw with your 300 and how many ounces is it?

I might have made a mistake about the lure identification they may be the Vibrax #6 but still in the same colour pattern very similar to the old single hook Mepps musky killer with just 1 treble hook I'm not a fan of the newer ones with the double hooks.

Kawartha Kev

The double trebles looks like a mess waiting to happen

I think the one I use is actually called the Blue Fox musky buck in the black and silver pattern. You can check them out here http://www.basspro.com/Blue-Fox-Vibrax-Musky-Buck-Lure/product/7571/

I really like the silver black model but have tried some of the other colours but not with anywhere near the same rate of success

Kawartha Kev

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Whats the biggest lure you throw with your 300 and how many ounces is it?

It's not the size/weight of the lure that's the limiting factor, it is how much resistance in the water it has.

For instance, a 4oz jerkbait is no problem on a curado, a 2 oz double 10 bladed bucktail is -- the curado just wasn't designed to handle that type of stress.

Edited by Raf

These ones are very popular for the big bucktails:

Shimano Tranx

350_350_Shimano-Tranx-300-and-400-Low-Pr

Revo Toro Beast

81cePI9wmeL._SX355_.jpg

But they ain't cheap!!

However, there are some more budget friendly options

Daiwa Lexa 400

carretilha-daiwa-lexa-hd-400-xs-p-xsl-p-

Okuma Komodo

Free-EMS-Okuma-Brand-KOMODO-KDR-364-Righ

I am planning on either a Curado or the Komodo [maybe even the Lexa] for a big bait pike/light musky setup. Most likely the Curado, but the Komodo is a definite consideration. Just hate to shy away from Shimano. Price will guide me!

Edited by adempsey

• 1 month later...

I got to use my setup this weekend for pike and I like it so far.

I currently have 20lb mono on it but I will be putting 80 or 100 pp braid on it soon. When spooling the reel, do you add backing or go straight braid?

I currently have 20lb mono on it but I will be putting 80 or 100 pp braid on it soon. When spooling the reel, do you add backing or go straight braid?

I just put 1-2 wraps of electrical tape on the spool

Very limited experience with braid, I used a mono backing with a similar diameter to take up some of the excess line capacity. If it should break or get worn - frayed in a spot? Why have to replace more line than you will probably ever use?

if you have money to burn, go straight braid

otherwise fill the reel up with cheap mono and put a couple of cast lenghts of braid over top.