Recommendations on a Musky setup: Left hand baitcaster & 2 Piece rod?

PUMP KNOWS

Hey OFC,

I'm looking to purchase my first Musky setup. It needs to be a left hand baitcaster with a 2 piece rod. I'm hoping to be able to cast everything on it. I don't plan on doing any trolling. Also I would like to be able to use this setup to target pike by throwing big swimbaits.

Can you guys recommend a setup for my needs?

I did some research and I found a Shimano Curado 301E for a good left handed baitcaster. And I noticed the only 2pc Musky rods that St. Croix carries is the Premiere

Edit: I'm looking for a setup that I can use to get me by for Musky and it can double as a pike setup for bigger baits.

Edited by PUMP KNOWS

Not a Musky guy here. I did go on a charter with Dan Columby and used the Shimano Curado and Calais if I remember that Danny supplied. It did not tire me and had not a single birds nest all day. I am not a bait cast user at all. That says a lot for the reel. I did pick one up a used Curado this year and love it. From light tubes for Smallies to heavy stuff I tossed for Northerns this year it worked well.

I wouldn't rule out trolling for them. Why would you? You don't need to troll slow which limits many without a smaller kicker or electric.

If you want to learn in 1 day that can take you many years to experience solo contact Dan Columby. He is out of Calendar Bay on Nipissing. I believe he is a sponsor here, I am not trying to break any rules. Well worth it. I never went for Musky specifically before for them, 1 incidental catch years ago fishing for Walleye. I got 2 nice fish in the 5 hours we were out . Dan was disappointed I was over the Moon. I have boated 8 since then on our own in only 3 days of fishing specifically for Musky. 6 were trolling at 4.5 miles per hour with short leads in the prop wash. Dan taught me that. 2 were casting, don't rule out trolling, for sure.

If you figure a day out on your own boat costs are 50 to 75 bucks, probably more, and fish for 4 or 6 days blind a day and come up with nothing then a day with a Pro is money well invested. Invested not spent.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I meant to give you a more detailed response but the iPad ran out of juice. There are a bunch of guys on this board with far more experience than me but I'll give you my 5 cents worth anyways. I was a frequent but casual musky angler, lots of outings but Short ones, sneaking in an hour or two here and there. If you plan on spending 8 to 12 hours on the water my input may not apply. I've owned a bunch of different rods in different lengths and actions and a few reels but looking back I think the most versatile of them all was a 7'6 MH premier musky rod. No such thing as a do it all rod but this was the closest I ever came to finding it. I had it paired with a few different reels and although the Abu c3 (6501 left handed) seems to have fallen from favour these days, I liked it. Reasonably low gear ratio, good line capacity, clicker, decent drag and mine cast quite nicely. No, it probably won't last forever and won't excel at burning big buck tails or picking up slack line but in my opinion a decent do it all kind of reel at a good price. Felt like it paired well with that rod. If I ever find the coin to refit myself with a solid musky set up I'd be content with that set up.

The curado/ premiere combo you've researched will do good

All my rods are premiers and the get the job done

I used to have a curado but it was a little small for my needs/liking

I'm using a daiwa Lexa 400 and a Abu Garcia revo toro winch and an Abu 7000i

All great reels that come in lefty

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Don't know your budget but this outfit is relatively midrange.....

Diawa Lexa 400HSL with power handle. A great working reel lots of power to burn the big blades like Mike's Handlebarz dbl 10s. This reel is heavier than the ABU Toro NaCl, but, it feels better in hand.

You can see the rod in the background on this photo. I am using the Lexa 400 as well.

888500_4c96c80cba57476dac713aaf81947530~

Not sure what length you are hoping to achieve once the rod is collapsed. My okuma EVX extra heavy 8'6" collapses to 6'11". It's a great working setup.

I use this for Muskie on ALL lakes I fish. This combo also goes with me for tossing smaller lures like Gliden Raps and small invaders for pike. Depending on size of Pike in the lakes you fish, it might be a little overkill.

888500_7b054690c8e74f00874e917b0842f17b~You can see the rod in the background in this pic too. My buddy is using the NaCl as the combo.

888500_5afdee08b49045ea9c89ad4f847325b6~

Most important, make sure you go with high speed reels. I am using a power handle on the Lexa 400 and a double paddle on my NaCl for jerk baits.

Cheers, Ron...

Cheap but fairly durable reel - Cardiff 301 or 401

Abu 6500 - affordable but not durable in my experiences

Abu Low profile reels like Toro or Nacl - durable but more $$

Curado - priceyish but durable and good up to Mag Dawgs and #8 bucktails

Premier 8' H or XH would be a great all around rod to start with

Tackle Industrise 8' XH is another good choice - Google 5/0 sports in London Ontario

Not a muskie fisherman by any means, but I see bass videos from California and they are using Shimano 400 size Calcuttas for bass there. A 300 size reel might be considered a bit smaller for regular muskie use?

Interesting

Might be worthwhile mentioning your budget. The majority of suggestions you are getting are going to set you back 500 dollars easy, if you plan on buying new.

My budget would be $500 for the setup. Maybe I can buy it on boxing day

I had a curado 301 and it cast very well and was good for smaller baits. the second I tried bigger baits with it I found they didn't work as designed and I was wearing myself out faster. go big on the reel and if there is only the 7' and 9' I'd go 9' for casting distance and figure 8's boatside. I too am by no means a musky expert. that's just what I'd do if I was going to get back into targeting them. I sold 95% of my musky stuff mid season this year...

you've got 6 months till opener

keep your eyes open for a used calcutta 401 series. you will likely have to go new and compromise on the rod if you're dead set on a 2 piece. most people use one piece muskie rods and the manufacturers don't provide a lot of selection in 2pc. an 8' one piece will fit in a typical sedan.. especially if the rear seats fold down exposing the trunk, FYI.

regarding rods and action, i consider st croix to be the gold standard when it comes to musky rods and noticed the other manufacturers are a bit 'generous' with their ratings. ie. a shimano H is the equivalent of a st. croix MH. so keep that in mind when you're going through all these suggestions.

Edited by Raf

Abu 6501 is the cheapest, throw a power handle on it for $20 and it will get the job done. Abu Record is a little better with the free spool a little easier to engage as your going into figure 8's. Shimano Curado 301e with a power handle is what I've been using for the last few seasons and loved and I've spent countless days burning D10s all day. Might not fit into your $500 rig though. I'm picking up the Diawa Lexa 400HSL-P this winter. I think it's around $245. Reviewed as the poor mans Tranx lol perfect. Can't help with the two piece sorry

Although an official release is not for a while, I have seen information slowly trickling out that a new Shimano Tranx is coming out and the price with come in around $300 USD. It will have both left and right hand retrieves available as well as high and low gear ratios.IMO, This will be a great Musky reel but may be out of your price range.

The real reason I bring this up is that you may see some deals on the curado 300 or the older version Tranx. The new Tranx looks more like a Curado than the original Tranx but has a price point closer to the 300E. With that out there, my advice would be to wait a bit and see what comes out at the bassmaster classic or if you can, ICAST 2017.

Depends how much musky fishing you plan on doing.. If you're going few times a year and don't plan on throwing large bucktails, then you can get by with a curado. But the curado 300 is definitely not a good reel for big bucktails. I have one and have grown to use it only for small bucktails and topwaters. One bonus is it doubles as a good pike reel for bigger baits..

If you're dead set on shimano and are looking for an all round versatile reel to handle every bait, go with calcutta or tranx. For $500 combo, I'd be getting an all around rod like a premier 8' H and a used calcutta d or something equal in versatility. A new calcutta B can be found within your budget as well. There are other options that should be considered aside from shimano. I've had good experiences with warranty from abu as well. Tons of reviews on all reels online.

There are rumours of a new smaller tranx coming out soon, makes sense to confirm that and wait. Might drop the price on the old tranx or put some more used ones out there.

Thanks for the input guys. Lots of great information

Depends how much musky fishing you plan on doing.. If you're going few times a year and don't plan on throwing large bucktails, then you can get by with a curado. But the curado 300 is definitely not a good reel for big bucktails. I have one and have grown to use it only for small bucktails and topwaters. One bonus is it doubles as a good pike reel for bigger baits..

I won't be doing much Musky fishing but I would like a setup just in case situations. I've been asked a couple times this year to target them but I kindly declined due to not having the proper gear.

I guess I'm looking for a setup that I can use to get me by for Musky and it can double as a pike setup for bigger baits.

If I go hardcore with musky I can always purchase another setup.