sturgeon froze up

ecmilley

Famous last words of everyone who has fallen through . That lake gives me the hebejebes a bit , I I lost a family member when I was a kid on that lake.

Scariest Kawartha lake for me too, and I grew up on it. She can get nasty!! The ice is messed up too. Current from all directions.

S.

Famous last words of everyone who has fallen through . That lake gives me the hebejebes a bit , I I lost a family member when I was a kid on that lake.

Thanks.,....Someone made a thread about Sturgeon being frozen and I asked how to tell if its safe and that turned into me dying, lol only on OFC. Why not post ice safety tips instead.

Thanks.,....Someone made a thread about Sturgeon being frozen and I asked how to tell if its safe and that turned into me dying, lol only on OFC. Why not post ice safety tips instead.

I did when I told you what 'gear' to have

I

I did, No ice is safe ice. Hopefully you understand that.

You think anyone who has gone through meant to do it?

I never said you were dying, I said I had a family member die on the lake your talking about going on 2 days after it froze. He went through when most of the lake had 10 inches of ice.

You think he knowingly went out on a snowmobile thinking it was not safe? Stuff happens man and you need to be ready for it.

Always be prepared to go through. I always when traveling on ice have picks on me and wear my floater . Early in the season you must spud your way out. And don't go solo.

Edited by Freshtrax

No, you asked if anyone was going out there. If you want to see ice safety tips post another thread and ask.

Just wait until there are lots of people going out, stay on a main trail, and you will be ok.

First ice i take an ice spud and chip every step of the way. My spud will cut 3" on one poke, so if it goes through with one shot, thats where i stop. I dont recommend doing that if you dont know what to look for though. Like already said, ice is never really safe, and there is a bit of science to knowing what good or bad ice looks like.

Picks and a floater suit are great to have too. Ive never had to use them, but they are good for piece of mind at the very least.

S.

No, you asked if anyone was going out there. If you want to see ice safety tips post another thread and ask.

Just wait until there are lots of people going out, stay on a main trail, and you will be ok.

First ice i take an ice spud and chip every step of the way. My spud will cut 3" on one poke, so if it goes through with one shot, thats where i stop. I dont recommend doing that if you dont know what to look for though. Like already said, ice is never really safe, and there is a bit of science to knowing what good or bad ice looks like.

Picks and a floater suit are great to have too. Ive never had to use them, but they are good for piece of mind at the very least.

S.

It was the first thing I asked in this thread actually.

I'm looking to go out on sturgeon this year for ice. What's the best way to tell of the ice is safe? If the weather stays like this I want to go out there around Dec 27 or 28

Edited by Tjames09

Some spots on the Kawartha Lakes are scary and unexpected. I live on the south end of Pigeon Lake and everything looks great until you happen to stop on top of the old river bed. It can be 15" and then 2" a foot away because of a current that follows the old bed.

Some spots on the Kawartha Lakes are scary and unexpected. I live on the south end of Pigeon Lake and everything looks great until you happen to stop on top of the old river bed. It can be 15" and then 2" a foot away because of a current that follows the old bed.

Sturgeon is really bad for that. Current coming in from scugog, and fenelon never stops. I don't like that lake in the winter. It can be sketchy.

S.

Sturgeon is really bad for that. Current coming in from scugog, and fenelon never stops. I don't like that lake in the winter. It can be sketchy.

S.

Is Balsam safer in the winter? The spot I was thinking in Sturgeon isnt near Fenelon Falls, nor is it near the river. Its in the main lake closer to the east end of shore.

Is Balsam safer in the winter? The spot I was thinking in Sturgeon isnt near Fenelon Falls, nor is it near the river. Its in the main lake closer to the east end of shore.

The stretch from lunge haven out to the main lake is very sketchy on that side of the lake. Last to freeze first to open.

I dont know balsam very well, so not much help there.

S.

The stretch from lunge haven out to the main lake is very sketchy on that side of the lake. Last to freeze first to open.

I dont know balsam very well, so not much help there.

S.

Is it because there's current through there? Its not very deep through that entire area. I would have thought that flat would be okay.

Is it because there's current through there? Its not very deep through that entire area. I would have thought that flat would be okay.

That area took a very long time to even freeze over last year and I'd never go there. The OP (Ernie) is the only one I have fishing that lake with on the ice as he lives there and knows it that well (where current is or isn't and humps and or weed areas). I won't fish that lake often in the winter. But if I do I spud out to the spots I know from being with him that should be safe.

A bonus with balsam over sturgeon is you can ice fish pike. If you look at sturgeon on the map, the lake looks like a big opening in the river, flowing down from fenelon into pigeon. I don't ice fish those lakes but can see how it can have more current than the others.

Make sure to get a spud bar if you are going exploring on early ice. Don't go wandering around new areas without checking ice every few feet.

Edited by JoshS