sturgeon froze up

ecmilley

how long does it take if it stays below zero to get 5-6 inches of ice?

March :whistling:

IMHO it depends more on wind before the lake skins over. If it's real windy it can get pretty cold and the lakes won't skin over because of the waves on the water. However in perfect windless snowless conditions mother nature can give you 5-6 inches of ice pretty quick. One year I went up to Cooch for my first ice trip on a Sunday and it wasn't safe enough for me. I went again on the Friday...5 days later and there was 7 plus inches of ice and a few sleds where out.

Like Sinker I expect to be chipping and stepping somewhere next weekend.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I always wondered why my "CLOSE" (buddy 140 Lbs) says, you go out to the spot (Dave 250 Lbs) and I'll be there soon. :whistling::rolleyes:

If you're not sure and you don't have a spud bar, DON'T GO!

Thats the way Terry always thought. I would lead. But now were tied in wieght. ( Think he has a few pounds on me now though ) MAYBE WE CAN WALK SIDE BY SIDE THIS YEAR. :whistling::Gonefishing:

EDIT TO ADD

On a seriuos note, I always step and chip. A couple of good smacks with the spud tells me if it,s good or not. Once I feel comfortable, I will auger. Check ice thickness 100%

If it,s safe, I,ll continue to walk and chip and repeat. Once I get to my local, I just set up shop.

Edited by Brian B

Things are looking alright.

And cliff, I second your feeling.

I am so pumped up for the ice, it's driving me crazy!

Orr lake us froze over.

Holland River in Bradford....

Lots and of soggy spots... But it's a start!

Cooks Bay is wide open....

Anyone plan on going out on Sturgeon around the 26th,27th,28th?

No, but if you dont know the lake, and have no experience on ice, do not go on the river....at all....ever. I believe you fish out of the south end, so do not go out on the ice down there if you don't know what your doing, and your not familiar with the ice. Try off long beach.

S.

No, but if you dont know the lake, and have no experience on ice, do not go on the river....at all....ever. I believe you fish out of the south end, so do not go out on the ice down there if you don't know what your doing, and your not familiar with the ice. Try off long beach.

S.

I hope to God you have ALL the proper safety gear man... floater suit, ice picks and a spudbar before you even fathom trying to take a step on the ice.

Well that's why I want to see if anyone is going out. And you cant fish the river, its a fish sanctuary, need to be on the lake.

I wouldnt go out if it wasnt safe, thats for sure.

Well that's why I want to see if anyone is going out. And you cant fish the river, its a fish sanctuary, need to be on the lake.

I wouldnt go out if it wasnt safe, thats for sure.

Invest in some stuff to keep you safe because you don't always go out with someone and they may not have 'extra gear' to keep you safe. I make my "sister" wear a lifejacket on the ice when unsure of the conditions 1st hand. I don't trust web reports of safe ice...