Any Lowrance Guru's on the forum?

KraTToR

i dont think he was asking for people for their dislike of lowrance

but rather which lowrance units to put on the boat

im sure we can find people to call every make fishing crap but again i dont think that is what he is asking

Thank you Terry!!

This Panoptics option on these Garmin units looks pretty interesting.

Especially the down view version.

Would be awesome for jigging up whitefish and lakers.

WOW. Garmin is stepping up bigtime.

That historical view looks fantastic for profiling the fish.

I say this every time this type of question comes up; if you're somewhat tech savvy, consider a navionics + t-box setup. http://www.sonarphone.mobi/

There's also the wi-fish by Raymarine, it uses CHIRP to give improved image.

For $300 you have a setup capable of doing what only $2000+ Humminbird units can do. That is, chart bathymetric maps on the fly. Plus you don't have to pay for the "chip". Speaking of chips, those are archaic rip-offs, just like paying for GPS map updates yearly.

There are some downsides of course, but for the price, totally worth it.

Thats pretty neat those devices can do that. Which is better the raymarine or the sonarphone? You just have to keep paying for navionics + every year Id imagine.

Id think the cost is more than $300 though, especially if you need to buy an Ipad. It looks like that Raymarine is $300 on its own, then you gotta buy Navonics and a Ipad.

Thats pretty neat those devices can do that. Which is better the raymarine or the sonarphone? You just have to keep paying for navionics + every year Id imagine.

Id think the cost is more than $300 though, especially if you need to buy an Ipad. It looks like that Raymarine is $300 on its own, then you gotta buy Navonics and a Ipad.

You need to remember that the screens on phones and tablets are pretty poor in direct sunlight while dedicated units are optimized for outdoor use.

Remember that you will also need a waterproof case for your phone or tablet unless you only want to use it on nice days. ;)

Assuming the raymarine works reliably, I'd say it's probably better considering it's a CHIRP setup. I own the sonarphone t-box and it's super reliable.

I think you do pay for the app every year, not 100% sure though. This is my first year using it. Key difference is that any lake updates are automatic and instant. Also you can select the areas to download, rather than downloading the entire country and taking up all sorts of space.

Most people already have a tablet so the cost may or may not be considered as part of the setup. I must have spent $600+ on my setup since I loved it so much (brackets, case, wiring, etc).

You need to remember that the screens on phones and tablets are pretty poor in direct sunlight while dedicated units are optimized for outdoor use.

Remember that you will also need a waterproof case for your phone or tablet unless you only want to use it on nice days. ;)

Definitely some problems with using a tablet for a purpose other than what it's intended for. Some units don't perform well in direct sunlight. You want a high brightness tablet like the Tab 4.

There are other issues too, like certain cases acting as insulation and making the tablet overheat!

I have been taping socks on my 2 rear transducers for years now. The old black and white Garmin is now 21 years old and matches my readings of my 3 year old HB. It is so simple to do I don't understand why folks don't do it regularly. Especially on long drives and running on back roads to get into the lakes. Take a look on the bottom of the transducer. Joslin at Angler Outfitters recommended this at a seminar years ago. If you want to get the most out of you electronics go to one of his seminars in London. He be the man when it comes to electronic imaging.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If you're in KW - go see Jos down at Angling outfitters. Usually this time of year he is running seminars 1 night a week. Make sure you have a bit of time if you plan on asking him some questions about electronics though,,, he's not one to hold his thoughts in on any fishing related subject, and as for electronics,,,,,, well he does kinda like them.

Agreed, Joc is the man, like they say it`s worth the drive to Woodstock ;)