Ice line - Fluoro or braid?

Tjames09

I generally fish from a shelter, unless it's really nice out. I use power pro braid, generally 20lb with a fluoro leader for most pickerel/pike/laker fishing and 3lb mono on my panfish rods. I do keep one medium action outfit spooled with mono in case I have to fish outside in the cold.

I always found that braid froze up on me and gave me problems if outside in the elements.

I use something called floro ice by P-Line for pan fish.

How do you like this line?

All my reels are spooled with nano or power pro. I run 4 ft floro leaders on them all. I only fish outside when it,s mild and no one is around. Other then that, Im in my hub. LOL

I generally fish from a shelter, unless it's really nice out. I use power pro braid, generally 20lb with a fluoro leader for most pickerel/pike/laker fishing and 3lb mono on my panfish rods. I do keep one medium action outfit spooled with mono in case I have to fish outside in the cold.

We fish almost the same. LOL

I generally fish from a shelter, unless it's really nice out. I use power pro braid, generally 20lb with a fluoro leader for most pickerel/pike/laker fishing and 3lb mono on my panfish rods. I do keep one medium action outfit spooled with mono in case I have to fish outside in the cold. I tried nanofil last winter, cause I use it all summer long, but it shreds to bits in the cold.

Edited by porkpie

same as everything else basically, just altered slightly dependent on scenario

on my 500 series reel for walleye, pike and anything else swimming 15lb pp ice braid - Uni Knot - 17lb flurocarbon leader (too many 5lb+ pikes on GB)

for laketrout 1000 series reel, regular PP with a 10 lb fluro carbon leader.

if you are getting too much line twist...throw in a raven xxxs swivel instead of the uni knot.

I always found that braid froze up on me and gave me problems if outside in the elements.

I found the same so I went to a coated braid and it's very similar to mono in the way it sheds water.

The stuff I use is Tuf-Line Supercast. Used to be called Duracast.

It's not ice specific so it comes in bigger spools which is nice.

I use flouro leaders on my braid.

Flouro line is terrible in the winter. It gets really stiff and coily.

Braid with leader, either fluorocarbon, mono or hybrid (e.g. P-Line Floroclear) If I am fishing deep I use braid with fluoro or maybe hybrid line. I rarely fish in a hut, and yes the line does freeze up, but it's manageable enough. It's not like mono doesn't freeze up. Braid is a bit worse in collecting ice though, but easy to clean off. For shallow water (<30feet) I'll use either braid or mono/hybrid. Braid brands don't matter much to me, but I think I have Powerpro Ice braid. They're all basically made of the same thing, some are just more round than others. It's also the one time I will use Trilene Fireline, I find it's actually pretty decent for vertical jigging.

Edited by adempsey

Braid is a no no outside the hut.

These days I like nanofil on the ice with a fluoro leader

I found the same so I went to a coated braid and it's very similar to mono in the way it sheds water.

The stuff I use is Tuf-Line Supercast. Used to be called Duracast.

It's not ice specific so it comes in bigger spools which is nice.

I use flouro leaders on my braid.

Flouro line is terrible in the winter. It gets really stiff and coily.

Those are the two lines I use as well. Back when a member had a e-store he asked the MFG of the Tuff-Line for me if the ice version was any different and they said no, smaller spool and costs more...

How do you like this line?

All my reels are spooled with nano or power pro. I run 4 ft floro leaders on them all. I only fish outside when it,s mild and no one is around. Other then that, Im in my hub. LOL

I use P-Line on all my reels that don't require braid. Mainly Floro clear for summer applications.

Edited by jimmer

For my walleye/white fish rig, I run 10lb micro-ice braid. With a 8.5lb Raven flouro leader. You feel every little tick. I've use 6lb braid, with a 4lb raven flouro leader on my pan fish rods. but I also run a few reels with light light mono and a light rod with and extra sensitive tiped rod. I prefer that..

I have been fishing the micro ice for years, outside, in some very harsh conditions. Dealing with the ice build up is worth extra sensitive action. With my style of jigging, I need go be able to feel minisquel details about my lure, at 100' down sometimes. You just can't get the same feel with mono, IMO.

Edited by N.A.W

How is that for water retention? I was between that and PP.

The guy at BassPro just said he uses straight mono (trilene sensation) on all his ice fishing rods to avoid line freezeup all together.

I use Trilene Sensation for just about everything, it's good line.

How is that for water retention? I was between that and PP.

The guy at BassPro just said he uses straight mono (trilene sensation) on all his ice fishing rods to avoid line freezeup all together.

I don't mind mono if I'm fishing perch or other shallow fish. But 100+ft depths for lakers and whities, it's FC. Water retention isn't too bad, won't notice it inside a hut but if you're outside and the wind is blowing I'll ice up the first few guides after a while.

I can't deal with braid freezing up outside so I prefer mono. At deep depths you do have to become a line watcher instead of a line feeler though if you are using light lures. Anything looks odd, set the hook -- I usually see the strike before I feel it. If you are aggressively jigging a spoon, it don't matter braid or mono, they usually smash it.

Edited by Raf