Looking for Ice fishing spot suggestions

Court R

Hi guys, I have a few friends that want to get away for the weekend for 2 or 3 days this winter and was looking for suggestions on where to go, don't want Simcoe, Quinte or Nippissing, somewhere 4 or 5 hours from Niagara is good, rent a cottage or something, thanks.

What fish do you want to target?
Do you have sleds / quads? How far are you willing to travel on the ice to get to good spots?

There are tons and tons of lakes in your search criteria. But finding a winterized rental cottage would be the limiting factor I would think.

Knowing what fish your trying to catch will narrow down your search quite a bit.

This guy is local to where I am.

I don't know him and haven't used his services but I've not heard anything bad about him.

His ice bungalows look nicely set up if that's what you're after.

Distance from Niagara likely a little more than 5 hour drive.

http://www.ottawariverfishing.ca/en/index.asp

Ott river would be a cool ice fishing destination for sure, Temagami and Rabbit Lake both have bungalow options with lots of good whitey and laker fishing. Nosbonsing is closer and easy access, mid winter fishing can be marginal though. Maybe look into Restoule and explore the various stocked laker lakes in the area...

Temagami is always a good bet, but also look at Bark Lake (Sunnyhill Resort). However, that's a deep lake and has trouble freezing up if the temps are not cold enough. The bonus is the huts are about 50 yards out from the amazing cottages. There are lakers, large pike and walleye along with some whitefish.

Temagami is always a good bet, but also look at Bark Lake (Sunnyhill Resort). However, that's a deep lake and has trouble freezing up if the temps are not cold enough. The bonus is the huts are about 50 yards out from the amazing cottages. There are lakers, large pike and walleye along with some whitefish.

Yea I had some good times there in the past, also at High Country Snoasis. Fishing the "cribs" in March can be real good on Bark. Plus we fished a few other back lakes for other trout.

Jimmer, as of last year Sunnyhill isn't offering ice shacks any more. The lad that was doing that moved on, and the owners told me it wasn't worth their while any more. They still offer accommodations though.

As for ORGF, Yannick has an 8,6 and 4 man "bungalow". Prices include everything. He is getting good bookings from what he posted recently on Fish Hawk. Mid week prices are excellent.

Regardless, for the OP there's got to be tons of places closer to Niagara I would think.

Cheers

Lake Bernard isn't bad. Not too sure how many cottage rentals there are though.

Lake of Bays and Rosseau are also reasonable options for fishing, but the cottages are a bit pricey for what you get. Not all cottage rentals will have decent fishing near by either.

Boshkung/Twelve Mile area OK, couple of places you can rent from. Although, I imagine coming from Ottawa you have better options heading west/northwest. We did poorly on Nosbonsing, but maybe it's better at the right time? Cottages were decent on Nos. I always wanted to try Sunnyhill on Bark lake, which was already mentioned. Another place I've had my eye on for a long time is Limberlost Lodge. I think there's a guy on Restoule that rents for the winter as well....another place I want to try, lol.

Good luck though, not really a lot of places that have cottages and hut rentals, at least in southern Ontario. Probably more North of North Bay and Sudbury though, just too far for my group to go for a weekender..

• 2 weeks later...