Rice Lake. 1 dead, 1 missing.

Locnar

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2016/11/11/body-pulled-from-rice-lake-south-of-peterborough

My friend called my last night, and told me the news. His brother's good friend went out on fishing Rice Lake with another guy back on November 10th, and hasn't been seen since. They found his boat at the bottom of the lake, engine was still full throttle and looked as if it nose dived into the bottom. They found the other guy, floating\washed up on shore... dead. No signs of the my buddy's friend. Sad news, very sad. Hopefully they find him soon, and really hoping they find him alive... but the chances don't seem too high.

Be careful out there.

No the chances are definitely not good. I told my buddy that, but he seems optimistic... I guess it's a good way to be, but thinking of it logically... The odds are stacked against him. I'm confused how the boat nose dived, full throttle.

I'm confused how the boat nose dived, full throttle.

I read the story when it happened and I have been wondering if the 2nd person had been found. As for the nose dive, reports were that the weather was very bad with rather large waves. The boat could have speared a wave or two and well...

*edit to add* and I'm sorry for you and all involved!!!

Edited by GBW

Yes i heard about it the day they found the first guy and the boat. It was a VERY nasty day to be on rice lake in a small boat. It was blowing NW at 40 gusting to 60. There would have been some serious waves out there, and r8ce has steep waves that are stacked close together. It really wouldnt take much to swamp their small boat. We will never know what really happened. Bad things happen quick and always when you least expect it. The one guy they found was wearing a life jacket. I fear the second guy will be a recovery now. That section of the lake skimmed over last night.

Sorry for your friends loss. I heard he was an experienced boater who wasnt one to take chances, so i have to wonder what happened that night. I have been out on rice in the area they went missing twice since it happened, but no sign of anything out of place.

S.

That's another blow to the family. Sad.

Very sad. It kills me not knowing what went wrong. I spend a lot of time on that lake, and it can get nasty. I have helped a lot of people out there in bad weather. The day they were out was a really bad day to be out there. With the throttle still wide open when they found the boat, I have to assume they had water come over the bow, and swamped the boat. Once they were in the water, it was game over. Either that, or they took a wave over the transom and pinned it to try and keep the boat up. Its tragic any way you look at it. Its my worst nightmare, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

S.

Very sad. It kills me not knowing what went wrong. I spend a lot of time on that lake, and it can get nasty. I have helped a lot of people out there in bad weather. The day they were out was a really bad day to be out there. With the throttle still wide open when they found the boat, I have to assume they had water come over the bow, and swamped the boat. Once they were in the water, it was game over. Either that, or they took a wave over the transom and pinned it to try and keep the boat up. Its tragic any way you look at it. Its my worst nightmare, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

S.

the bold says it all...

We will never know how or why either and can only guess as to how it happened...

• 5 months later...

OPP followed up on a tip by a canoeist and found a dead man in Rice Lake on Saturday afternoon. - Shawn Salo

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP -- A boater who went missing this past November while fishing has been found.

Police suspended the search for his body last November and had begun again this April.

On Saturday (April 22) around 2:40 p.m. Northumberland OPP said they received a report of a body floating the north shoreline of Rice Lake off Hannah Road.

The body was pulled from the water shortly after 3 p.m. near Bailieboro.

RELATED CONTENT

UPDATE: Durham man pulled from Rice Lake pronounced dead

Rice Lake search for missing Oshawa man suspended

UPDATE: OPP search continuing for missing boater on Rice Lake

Investigators recovered a dead man who fit the description of the missing boater that police have been searching for since last Nov. 11.

The Regional Coroner attended and has scheduled a post mortem for the week of April 24 at the Office of the Chief Coroner and Forensic Pathology Service in Toronto.

Search efforts for the second missing boater have been suspended pending positive identification of the deceased.

Northumberland OPP began searching for a missing Oshawa man on Friday, Nov. 11, 2016 after a second person, a 45-year-old man from Whitby, was found in Rice Lake off Halstead Beach Road, east of Bewdley.

Residents found the Whitby man unresponsive in the water, police said.

After being pulled from the water he was given CPR and then transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Just a sad, sad story. Maybe preventable, maybe not. Rice can kick up without warning, most lakes can in fact, some more than others. Let us all learn through all these tragedies we hear of almost weekly here in Ontario. With the warmer weather coming we will hear about more as time goes on. Don't let these people die in vain. My condolences to family and friends of the diseased. I seem to be saying that too often.

The biggest waves I've experienced on Rice were about 4'. Not much if you have ever been on the ocean but if you take a 4' wave sideways on a small boat you will be in a world of hurt.

Walleye Guy

I find 4ft waves on the ocean or even Lake Ontario are very different from 4ft waves on a small lake. On the bigger bodies of water 4ft waves are more like big rollers, where as in a small lake they're violent choppy waves. Not to say 4ft waves aren't choppy and dangerous on bigger bodies of water, but they seem more likely to be rollers. Either way, it's a sad story... my good buddy and his brothers have lost a long time friend. I never knew the person, but it sucks none-the-less.

Horrible story, sad to say the least

I've taken in a big wave before and got really lucky I was 50ft off shore.

Lots of twist and turns on rainy river and the water was glass. Me and a buddy in a 16ft turned the corner sharp near shore as it's deep compared to the middle of the turn, actually everyone takes that route as it's marked.

As we turn the corned we know we're instantly in trouble as it was 60km windgusts coming off a flat feild and instantly it went from glass to a 6ft gong show chop, took Abit of water over the side as we veered for shore and almost took a 6 footer right over the bow. Seriously off by 2cm, we woulda sunk right then and there and probably been badly injured too, then in for the swim of our lives.

Got to shore, proceeded VERY close to shore back towards were we came from and ended up fishing the glass 100 yards off the launch lol

Scary stuff though how quick something dangerous could occur so quickly

We take the American side now,waaaày safer

I'm sorry to hear about this. I always wear a full floater coat if I go out that time of year, but suppose anything could happen.

That boat looks pretty rickety tho, easy tipper . I would not go out more than 20 feet from shore with that in bad weather ...

Again my condolences

Anything can happen no matter the boat, float suits and/or whatever safety devices on board. Given Temps and a time of year when 3/4 of people have gone home for the winter, one wrong move and no one hears or sees you. Dead in the water. Nothing new. Sad but if not them there, someone somewhere else.

Anything can happen no matter the boat, float suits and/or whatever safety devices on board. Given Temps and a time of year when 3/4 of people have gone home for the winter, one wrong move and no one hears or sees you. Dead in the water. Nothing new. Sad but if not them there, someone somewhere else.

Sad but true.