new fishfinder help.....need some insight

bow slayer

My local retailer has a clearance sale on some new units. I am strickly a recreation fisherman,mainly northern lakes and a few outings a year on erie and st.clair. Looking for something very user friendly and simple. Would like one with gps and maybe DI but not necessary They have these models left and the prices they are reduced to.....any info is greatly appreciated

the units are

lowrance elite 4 chirp $214

helix7 sonar and gps -$299

helix 7 sonar -$249

lowrance elite4xchirp-$139

lowrance elite5chirp-$349 help me decide. thanks

I'd go with the helix 7 all day every day out of that list! Years ago the birds sucked, but they have advanced leaps and bounds to the point I'd take one over a lowrance any day. I run a raymarine on my boat, but previously had a 597, and use a 385 for the ice and as a portable. Excellent units, and I understand the helix is an improvement still!

Yes the retailer is the local Canadian Tire,clearing out all the sonars I listed and some others for cheap.

Thanks for the replies.I seriously debated over the Helix 7 gps combo and the elite 5 and finally decided on the Helix mainly because of ease of use and the larger screen.

I was looking at buying a lowrance elite4xchirp at CTC for $139 but it looks like I would need to buy a new Xducer as well(not incl in that price?). I have a Mark 5x pro right now so I don't thing that would work with the elite 5x. I went on the Lowrance website to see if it would give me a definite answer on that but was confused.

I was looking at buying a lowrance elite4xchirp at CTC for $139 but it looks like I would need to buy a new Xducer as well(not incl in that price?). I have a Mark 5x pro right now so I don't thing that would work with the elite 5x. I went on the Lowrance website to see if it would give me a definite answer on that but was confused.

The unit does come with a transducer. However will your current one work with the different head unit properly I cannot answer. In the box is all you need so that means to re-rig the boat...

Edited by GBW

Thx. You are prob right---I had assumed that it did not. I just ordered it---if no Xducer, then I'll just return it.

Yeah and I'm 99.99% sure it will have one. The one (mark4) I got had all I needed

It'll have a transducer for sure, but your existing transducer will probably work anyway!

If he uses the older one it might not provide the full functionality the new unit offers. What if the old ran on 550mzh and the new on 950mhz... I honestly feel 100% secure that his new one will have all he needs but may need to do a full swap on the hardware. Most transducer mounting brackets are the same so that's one less step if so...

Edited by GBW

Most of the lowrance units of that nature have 83/200mhz transducers. If the plug works the transducer will likely work. The only monkey wrench could be chirp. I don't know much about chirp other than I have it, and I can't tell if returns are better because I have it. But I'm happy with the unit so I guess chirp is ok.

Most of the lowrance units of that nature have 83/200mhz transducers. If the plug works the transducer will likely work. The only monkey wrench could be chirp. I don't know much about chirp other than I have it, and I can't tell if returns are better because I have it. But I'm happy with the unit so I guess chirp is ok.

And that why I was saying it may run on a diff Mhz and won't work properly but the odds are it will. I haven't seen much of a change to a transducer in years BUT I'm not in the "bizz" to know 100% right... I cannot wait to use my Mark4 that I got for $100 on the ice this season!!!

Edited by GBW