Opinions of a pop up shelter

kickingfrog

I'd imagine as good as any of the cheap pop-ups. I'd say they last 2 years of regular use. The windows will likely crack before that. Hopefully the poles don't snap. Although, my bud replaced a broken pole with a chimney sweep rod for fairly cheap.

So, my thoughts are the cheap pop-ups are basically the same.

I'd imagine as good as any of the cheap pop-ups. I'd say they last 2 years of regular use. The windows will likely crack before that. Hopefully the poles don't snap. Although, my bud replaced a broken pole with a chimney sweep rod for fairly cheap.

So, my thoughts are the cheap pop-ups are basically the same.

Pretty much nailed it with that comment. I totally agree.

Its when you make the jump to thermals, is when you're stepping it up, and then, hear various different opinions.

Will you be fishing alone only or with someone else?

Best investment I ever made was going with a Thermal Tent (Clam XL 4000T) and I fish with my buddy on a regular basis (at least once a week for several hours)

Consider a Clam Thermal tent before making your purchase!

2x for the Clam thermal.. Nice warm and lots of room. I have the 6x6 and love it.

Yes, it takes me a little longer to get set up but nice to be able to stand up and move around a bit.

Its a shelter.

If it protects you from wind and rain, its worth it

But the thing is , you want it to last a few seasons , dishing out money every couple of years if the stuff breaks is no fun.

I bought the Clam Thermal 4 yrs ago , a little more money but I've had no issues other than the carry bag is all ripped, but it's been dragged around and in and out of pickups so it's expected but the shelter is still good .

But the thing is , you want it to last a few seasons , dishing out money every couple of years if the stuff breaks is no fun.

I bought the Clam Thermal 4 yrs ago , a little more money but I've had no issues other than the carry bag is all ripped, but it's been dragged around and in and out of pickups so it's expected but the shelter is still good .

Agreed, great point!

I built a shack so I use that on the river.

When im on the lakes I prefer no shelter so my opinion in hindsight is useless.

Get a larger one if you can. The 2 man is great for one person, but its not really big enough for 2.

S.

This is true.

I have had my Eskimo 2 man going on my 4th year now. Snapped a pole due to rushing the closing of it. Replaced it with one of those fiberglass drive way markers. ( easy to replace the poles ) I found it a pain sometime opening on windy days. Trying to hold that bit of a tab fabric loop they have to pull the sides out. It,s a learning curve at first, but I can set mine up in minutes even on the windiest days. I made a simple hook to grab the eye bolt, not the fabric loop. ( those loops break ). Also using bungie cords instead of the shoe lace that comes with them is much easier. Putting the anchors in is a breeze with the adaptor I made for the dewalt. One thing I like about mine, is how tight it is. No flapping walls in the wind. Solid hub IMO.

As for the windows. I have heard the same thing. If you play with them when it,s cold out, the bust up. I have never touched mine. I hardly even have the flaps that cover them open. I just leave the two vents open. Thats enough fresh air coming in.

I can even have my mitts on when using this simple home made hook. Works like a charm.

DSCF3490.JPG

DSCF3491.JPG

I even made my own screw anchor adaptor. Makes quick work using the dewalt.

Have a pic of the drill adaptor brian? Ive been looking for one.

I have a 5 man eskimo. Its huge. I havent used it on the ice yet, but i bought it with intentions of bringing a bunch of kids perching.

I also have one of the costco pop ups. I have put 2 good seasons in that one and broke a zipper on the door. It was my own fault, and it still works, just have to leave a 6" section open all the time.

I have a clam scout flip over, and a clam guide flip over and both have been flawless. The scout had been in service for at least 10 years now. Its my go to. The guide is for behind the sled with a passenger.

I also have a 4x8 hardside, and an 8x10 hardside with a woodstove.

I cant wait for hardwater! My favourite season!!

Go as big as you can and you cant go wrong with the thermal units. That will be my next purchase, but since i have 5 ice huts i may need to sell a couple off first.

S.

This is true.

I have had my Eskimo 2 man going on my 4th year now. Snapped a pole due to rushing the closing of it. Replaced it with one of those fiberglass drive way markers. ( easy to replace the poles ) I found it a pain sometime opening on windy days. Trying to hold that bit of a tab fabric loop they have to pull the sides out. It,s a learning curve at first, but I can set mine up in minutes even on the windiest days. I made a simple hook to grab the eye bolt, not the fabric loop. ( those loops break ). Also using bungie cords instead of the shoe lace that comes with them is much easier. Putting the anchors in is a breeze with the adaptor I made for the dewalt. One thing I like about mine, is how tight it is. No flapping walls in the wind. Solid hub IMO.

As for the windows. I have heard the same thing. If you play with them when it,s cold out, the bust up. I have never touched mine. I hardly even have the flaps that cover them open. I just leave the two vents open. Thats enough fresh air coming in.

I can even have my mitts on when using this simple home made hook. Works like a charm.

DSCF3490.JPG

DSCF3491.JPG

I even made my own screw anchor adaptor. Makes quick work using the dewalt.

I just added a 6" loop of rope to the small loops on the pop up. I can set it with mitts on that way too. Edited by Sinker

Guess it all depends on the amt you plan to use it. Fishing alone that size is ok, fishing with others I agree to go bigger. I have a 4 person...we fish comfortably with 2, and not so comfortably with 3. As far as quality...I bought a cheap one USED off someone on this site about ten years ago...still using it! But I only get out two or three times a year. For that amt of use it does just fine. Gonna fish twice a week? Then go better quality

I have a 4 man sub zero hut that's 11 years old still works great though a thermal unit would be nice, only issue I had was tryiny to set up on a windy day and only had one spike in the ice tore the apron a little bit.\

lesson learned peg it before I pop it, attachment on my drill hut set up in less than 5 minutes

They are all good if you don't rush set up/break down... just take care of it and it'll last a while

I have an Eskimo quickfish 3i

It is insulated thicker material

Fits 2 guys and gear easily

I also regularly fish 2 guys and my little boy without an issue

It's tall enough you can stretch your back without having to go outside (I'm 6'4")

Sets up and breaks down fast... me and my regular fishing buddy can set up or break down in about 5 minutes including 1-2 ice anchors if it's windy

I sold my flip over as I only used it once since I got this pop up