Tesla Model X

huzzsaba

So I bumped into a friend of mine at a dinner event last week. I found out prior to that that he had bought a Model X (7 seater) and we talked about the car for some time. finally he asked me if I would like to take it for a spin and I am glad he did. I am not that into speed, but love having something with a little bit of power. He told me to step on it and wow!!! This thing is fast! Faster than anything I have driven in the past. We finally get on the highway and he tells me to put on the autopilot. I must say it was freaky in the beginning since you see the steering moving like its possessed, changing lanes on a dime. The interior was very spacious and comfortable. The ride was very comfortable and handling was pretty impressive for a big car.

All in all, I was sold on it. But for now I will stick to my Volvo until I win the lottery lol.

I didn't realize that auto pilot cars are out there already. I was under the impression they are still in the test phase. I am really surprised they are out in public. I don't think I like the idea yet. Maybe that lady doing her hair and makeup the other day doing 100K was on auto pilot.

I want one so I can post here on drive you guys bonkers on OFC while the car gets me to wherever I want to go, as long is it isn't 51 k's away and I don't have enough juice to get home.

Are there charging stations out there besides the GTA?

The auto pilot definitely isn't ready to replace the driver quite yet.

There was a guy killed recently when his Tesla drove into a truck. He was heading into the sun and theory is that the auto pilot was not able to detect the white truck against a light background. I guess the auto pilot is good enough to make people think that they can rely on it; but not quite good enough for people to actually rely on it.

I didn't realize that auto pilot cars are out there already. I was under the impression they are still in the test phase. I am really surprised they are out in public. I don't think I like the idea yet. Maybe that lady doing her hair and makeup the other day doing 100K was on auto pilot.

I want one so I can post here on drive you guys bonkers on OFC while the car gets me to wherever I want to go, as long is it isn't 51 k's away and I don't have enough juice to get home.

Are there charging stations out there besides the GTA?

My friend drove his from Mississauga to Algonquin. He had to recharge in Huntsville. Lucky for him Huntsville has a supercharger. I believe the bigger cities have the superchargers already. Supposedly takes 45 mins for a full charge. Model X range is around 300 kms per charge I believe based on how you drive.

Range anxiety especially when juice needed for heating and air conditioning

I agree with you on the range anxiety part!

Edited by huzzsaba

I definitely am pessimistic as far as the auto pilot cars go. I am very surprised the MOT is allowing them on public roads. Our provincial government doesn't trust us enough to cross the street, thus the flashing, beeping, bird tweeting and a timer on a crosswalk but auto pilot cars are safe enough? Do these cars have a big banner across the rear warning it is an auto pilot car, if not they should. I want to know myself so I can get away from it.

The other downside to a auto pilot electric vehicle is the cost. They are expensive to buy and operate. I don't know about maintenance but a neighbour has a 1st generation Toyota Hybrid and his new battery bank was over 6 grand to replace. Similar to dropping in a new tranny I guess but I just bought a series 48 battery for my Silverado for 100 bucks and I don't expect to ever drop a new 4X4 tranny in it if service it as recommended.

edit: I was quoted $225.00 for a new battery from the good guy I do all my service for the truck and my wife's Nissan. I am more than happy with Mikes service at Caledonia Tire Caledonia On. The same battery, no actually better battery was $99.99 from Acme Battery Parkdale Ave. N. Hamilton. Including the same warranty. He is the wholesaler to many shops. Cut out the middle man saves big bucks. I have been dealing with Acme for 40 years.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Self diving cars are a certainty, and will be infinitely safer than human drivers. I see multiple almost or actual accidents daily driving to work and back in this city. Human drivers are frankly terrible. Computers don't get sick, tired, angry, distracted etc. I welcome the day I can fish an extra two hours and then tell my truck to wake me up after it tows the boat home.

Self diving cars are a certainty, and will be infinitely safer than human drivers. I see multiple almost or actual accidents daily driving to work and back in this city. Human drivers are frankly terrible. Computers don't get sick, tired, angry, distracted etc. I welcome the day I can fish an extra two hours and then tell my truck to wake me up after it tows the boat home.

BAAAHAHAHAHA

Absolutely I relish the day someone can launch and retrieve their boat with out seeing a Gong Show. I am following Canada's Worst Driver this year that they filmed down the road at the old Dunnville Airport the past summer. Talk about a Gong Show. A friend does the security when they are filming and I have been there when they do film a few times this past summer. Man the best free entertainment ever. One idiot admits he needs 4 beers or more to get him relaxed enough to drive and admits to no less than 20 hit and runs in the last 2 years. I guess I trust auto pilot compered to that goof. Another can't drive without her phone on her lap and texts no less then 1000 times a day and 100% of the time when she drives, it relaxes her. There are only 1440 minutes in a 24 hour period. Another Hippy reads poetry and touches her beads with both hands and uses her legs to steer to drive as she chants her Mantras.

I want 15 minutes in a room with them and a bucket of water and a towel.

I definitely am pessimistic as far as the auto pilot cars go. I am very surprised the MOT is allowing them on public roads.

I think the technology moves faster than law makers can keep up. I don't think they are allowing them so much as they just haven't addressed the issue yet.

I think you still need a sober driver paying attention in the drivers seat. I don't think that you can legally text away on your phone because you have the autopilot turned on.

There's a guy on iboats.com that retrofit his own electric boat, 17' Bayliner bowrider. It flys but only has a 30 minute range at WOT. Again I am not able to cut paste the link here but will try to find it and type in the site. He built it in his garage, impressive. Range is the issue and cost since Hydro ain't cheap.

I just fell off my chair. For the Model X 70D base price in Canada is $122,700.00 to $208,300.00 for the P90DL. Holy electric sticker shock. I am flabbergasted. Come on Man!

You have to be a very serious green person to drive one of those. Yea "Green" as in the colour of 20's. Like 10,000 of them.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

there awesome cars great riding, as the technology advances cars are gonna improve, just thinking of all the guys in my early years we thought were smart and taking fuel injection and electronic ignitions off and replacing with carbs and dual point breaker ignitions cause they were better lol

There's a guy on iboats.com that retrofit his own electric boat, 17' Bayliner bowrider. It flys but only has a 30 minute range at WOT. Again I am not able to cut paste the link here but will try to find it and type in the site. He built it in his garage, impressive. Range is the issue and cost since Hydro ain't cheap.

I just fell off my chair. For the Model X 70D base price in Canada is $122,700.00 to $208,300.00 for the P90DL. Holy electric sticker shock. I am flabbergasted. Come on Man!

You have to be a very serious green person to drive one of those. Yea "Green" as in the colour of 20's. Like 10,000 of them.

Tesla has the model 3 coming out next year. I believe people camped out (similar to US thanksgiving day lineups) at the Tesla Showrooms when they annouced the first day of sales. the price starts at 35k USD. If there is one I would seriously look into for the price, It would be that one.

Edited by huzzsaba

I agree with you on the range anxiety part!

I shouldn't be too big of a problem for many who live in the city. Most families have two or more cars. You can have one electric vehicle for getting to and from work and around the city and still have a regular vehicle for any long drives.