Reel cleaning/maintenance?

Tjames09

Hey guys, wondering what you guys do for reel maintenance and general cleaning over the winter for next spring. I have BPS Johnny Morris Carbon Lite Im looking to clean out. Do you guys just take it to BPS, or DIY? Im okay with DIY but Im not sure exactly which parts need cleaning and re-greasing or lube.

Lots of information online

You should clean your reel once a year if you're a weekend warrior , while adding oil to spool bearings every second or third weekend. Reel will last much longer . Send me a PM if u have issues on teardiwn etc. That's a straightforward reel, just make sure u hold the reel on its side (handle shaft facing up) when u remove the side plate: you don't want to lose the two springs above the pinion shaft / yolk

I had a long post written out but somehow lost it...

Here is the coles notes.

I use Shimano grease, oil and drag grease.

Grease goes on worm gear, main gear and pinion and a little to hold the springs in place. Oil goes on bearings and drag grease goes on drag disc.

When opening a reel, I was told to do it in a Ziploc back so you don't lose the springs or the spring clips that hold the bearings in on most reels. This has been a valuable tool and has saved me a lot of time. Every year I would lose at least 1 spring or spring clip and they are a pain to find on any surface.

It really isn't that hard if you are handy but watch a few videos online to see how it is done before starting.

I used to do mine DYI until I found out a lical shop does it for free for in store purchased reels?

Shore reels twice a year.

Reels in the boat at the end of the season

Ice fishing reels nah. I use pretty cheap reels on the ice and replace them every other season or sooner.

If DYI, keep the parts in order to save a pain in the rear as you disemble

The most important step in reel maintenance is the cleaning portion otherwise you're just putting grease and oil onto the problem. I know this may sound obvious but what I mean is a thorough cleaning. I have an Ardent reel cleaning kit that includes a solvent and special foam Q tips to facilitate proper cleaning. Once you get all the old lube and grit out, then its time to lubricate. I'd rather do a full cleaning/lub every 2 years than a half-assed attempt every season.

Its time consuming and tedious but very rewarding come next season. And what else have you got to do all winter...lol

PS. Anyone know where I can get more of these foam tipped stix???

The most important step in reel maintenance is the cleaning portion otherwise you're just putting grease and oil onto the problem. I know this may sound obvious but what I mean is a thorough cleaning. I have an Ardent reel cleaning kit that includes a solvent and special foam Q tips to facilitate proper cleaning. Once you get all the old lube and grit out, then its time to lubricate. I'd rather do a full cleaning/lub every 2 years than a half-assed attempt every season.

Its time consuming and tedious but very rewarding come next season. And what else have you got to do all winter...lol

PS. Anyone know where I can get more of these foam tipped stix???

No idea up there, but the foam ones seem to be used for electronics a lot? Maybe at a place that caters to them?

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Cleaning-Sponge-Printhead-Optical/dp/B00ST37P62/ref=pd_sim_194_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GQJJ3MY9NKXB4E19VVVA

My wife has some foam tipped ones, look in the ladies' cosmetic section, they use them for eyeshadow or something :tease:

edit: here you go, foam tip and brush all in one, pretty reasonable too

https://www.wish.com/c/573128aa1b54055d153a1603?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=pla1&gclid=CjwKEAiApLDBBRC8oICb9NvKsg0SJAD9yOHskDelohAM38JHdobjljK7hZMNxPjDXBNTBFHvRttNsBoCZuLw_wcB

Edited by dave524