Clean Disruption NF Electric Cars not that far away!

Headhunter

A friend recently sent me this link. I found it fascinating and pretty eye opening. It's a little long, but there's a lot of information here and perhaps even some crystal ball moments.

We are in for a massive amount of change in our lives if this is really true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxryv2XrnqM

HH

I listened to a very good 900 CHML radio techie program last week where the electric car was discussed. It should be available on line.

For a 100 kilometer trip a Tesla as well as the GM Volt will cost an owner around 3 kilowatt hrs of electricity plus delivery charges to a residential home to make the trip and the range was 100 KM with a full charge. What I got from it is it isn't any less expensive to run a car on Hydro than it is for traditional fuel. Add in the greater cost for a vehicle, cost to have your home wired to charge it, the cost of system maintenance and very expensive battery replacement as well as the limited numbers of those trained to maintain them add in the lack of charging stations an electric car is a very long way off from us seeing them in a neighbours driveway. It is a "look at me I'm Green" status symbol for the rich and famous. I am all in for being Green but it isn't in my budget for a small uncomfortable car that will never tow my boat. Certainly a long, long way from being a Rural transportation solution.

I love the look of the Tesla but there's a certain amount of Range anxiety with all electric cars.. if you had some kind of solar/wind charging system at home that would be cool but I think the chev volt is a better option right now..

First take away the internal combustion engine (trying for many years) then it will be the electric car is no good and soon the only legal thing will be a bicycle.........try towing your boat while peddling down the highway........LOL....Not ! ! !

horse

I love the look of the Tesla but there's a certain amount of Range anxiety with all electric cars.. if you had some kind of solar/wind charging system at home that would be cool but I think the chev volt is a better option right now..

Tesla goes a lot further on a charge without an additional gas engine and it is crazy crazy quick. Price is a little more than a Volt though

Edited by kuha

I listened to a very good 900 CHML radio techie program last week where the electric car was discussed. It should be available on line.

For a 100 kilometer trip a Tesla as well as the GM Volt will cost an owner around 3 kilowatt hrs of electricity plus delivery charges to a residential home to make the trip and the range was 100 KM with a full charge. What I got from it is it isn't any less expensive to run a car on Hydro than it is for traditional fuel. Add in the greater cost for a vehicle, cost to have your home wired to charge it, the cost of system maintenance and very expensive battery replacement as well as the limited numbers of those trained to maintain them add in the lack of charging stations an electric car is a very long way off from us seeing them in a neighbours driveway. It is a "look at me I'm Green" status symbol for the rich and famous. I am all in for being Green but it isn't in my budget for a small uncomfortable car that will never tow my boat. Certainly a long, long way from being a Rural transportation solution.

At some point it will be more economical for some to install solar panels on their house and reduce fossil fuel costs for both their car and heating. It will start in cities and with those can afford to pay up front to save long term.

Bottom line is the cost for any/all energy. Once the cost of solar comes down to the point that it's becomes a viable option ie: cheaper than other fuels and the technology becomes that much better....say goodbye to fossil fuels.

This guy nailed it. Very interesting video.

Very interesting talk.

What he didn't talk about is the environmental impact in making all transportation electric/electronic? As in what's going to happen with the chemical waste generated in making all these batteries, solar panels and the electronics, to operate these new systems.

What is going to fuel all the hydro generating plants, to supply the electricity until solar does hit what he calls the breaking point?

I don't know how else to word it; but how much and what type of pollution are we going to have making a green car?

Dan.

Those are good questions Dan, some that I thought of as well.

What my take on the talk is, is that we are in such a fast moving/paced time, with technology these days, that there are potentially limitless options available to us today and obviously in the future.

Sure, most of what he talks about is conjecture but based on scientific fact.

It's a good time to be alive!

HH

Back in 68 I was going to the show to see 2001 A Space Odessey, kids were watching the Jetsons cartoons thinking that was the future and I drove a 68 VW Beetle . They are still making the gas combustion Beetle only it is front wheel drive and 20 grand instead of 2 grand, change comes a lot slower than you like to think.

For discussion purposes only, yes and no Dave.

Much of what has traditionally held us back from innovation, has been a lack of desire to do so, by those who have held an interest in keeping things the way they are, specifically corporations.

As we are now a global economy, those corporations don't have the monopolies that they historically had. That's why companies such as those in the automotive industry, have only recently, begun to invest in new technologies... to say nothing of the oil industry and they're influence around the world.

GM has recently announced a centre for innovation to be built in Markham and I would be that they are not doing anything related to the internal combustion engine!

HH

Very interesting talk.

What he didn't talk about is the environmental impact in making all transportation electric/electronic? As in what's going to happen with the chemical waste generated in making all these batteries, solar panels and the electronics, to operate these new systems.

What is going to fuel all the hydro generating plants, to supply the electricity until solar does hit what he calls the breaking point?

I don't know how else to word it; but how much and what type of pollution are we going to have making a green car?

Dan.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of pollution associated with the oil industry (over an above the emissions during the end use). So there would be some positive environmental changes associated with going to more electric.

The entire renewable energy movement is geared towards environmental protection. If there is money to be made doing this corporations will be more than happy to be onboard. Many years ago we were charging basically what was dirt with some Iron in it to make iron. The furnaces went for a dump. The then CEO asked me why? I told him we were trying to make Iron out of garbage. He said if we can make more money burning garbage we are now in the garbage business. Say what!!!