An apology to Art and others! NF

Big Cliff

I am so sorry, I honestly wanted to try to learn about something that I truly didn't understand. I really thought that there was enough intelligence and maturity in the members of this board to keep things civil and respectful in a debate, I guess I was wrong!

The name calling and insinuations breaks my heart, these truly aren't the family I've come to know over these many years! I honestly can't see many of the things said being said in person during a day of fishing.

Once again; my apologies, I will be far more careful in the topics I post in the future.

Big Cliff

No issues from me Cliff. We got a set of rules here to make it comfortable for almost everyone from 8 years old to the grave. We all can seem to follow the rules on any subject except politics. I have tried it both ways being rigid to the rules and being lax both ways I get crap for. It is just easier to stop the political threads quickly in the future.

Art

I am so sorry, I honestly wanted to try to learn about something that I truly didn't understand. I really thought that there was enough intelligence and maturity in the members of this board to keep things civil and respectful in a debate, I guess I was wrong!

The name calling and insinuations breaks my heart, these truly aren't the family I've come to know over these many years! I honestly can't see many of the things said being said in person during a day of fishing.

Once again; my apologies, I will be far more careful in the topics I post in the future.

Big Cliff

Cliff, in my opinion :dunno: you did nothing wrong.. you asked a question on something and it is not your fault it went the way it did... and again you are correct, this is not the family it used to be... only for a few of us that have been around when this board grew : :wallbash: :Some one please correct me if I am wrong..... nicely :angel:

Edited by Loonietoon

Been there, done that, right Art? It seems sometimes that it is impossible to have a civil, adult conversation, especially in the faceless thing called Social Media before some revert to acting like grade schoolers. Grade schoolers actually act much more civil. The sites out there that are specifically for political discussion are just for Keyboard Cowboys that appear to not have a life. Those are the people that President elect Trump described as being 300 pounds and laying in bed. Hey I snuck that one in eh!

No need to apologize Cliff, I know I did though.

Cliff I am unable to copy and paste, you said something like " these truly aren't the family I have come to know over these many years". It sounds like you are talking about my own Family. Times change, relationships change, the Alpha leaders change. I don't like paradigm shifts but have come to learn there is no formula to keep things the way they were, not something one can control. Change with the times or times will pass you by. Loonietoons said basically the same thing. Without new blood viewing new posts then participating this site will die, no views, no revenue, no revenue, no OFC. I wonder if there was a survey that asked who is or was T.J. Quesnel, most newer members that have only been here for a few years would even recognize the name? He was actively posting when I first joined here. I haven't seen a post from TJ for years. Times change, nothing you can do about it.

If anyone wants to have a mature and civil conversation that relates to this past US election or other political issues we can via PM I would think. We could invite others to "join the conversation" on a PM. If someone acts up we can just lock them out rather than locking the entire dialogue. Is that a doable thing Art?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

U did nothing wrong.

But I think all political threads should be killed immediately too. I used to wade into them but then I started to get kissed off which is silly I know. I would like to see more fishing threads. I would post some but lately I suck - although I did go 7 for 11 on the Detroit for Muskie last weekend. That was after 5 straight skunks though. I will post some pics of my soft plastic musky Bait adventures soon. It's gotten out of control.

I work in the USA a lot from coast to coast.. I must say no matter where I go my American friends are always passionate on their views.

I always respect the views right or wrong.

Friends respect each other no matter what.

Cliff you did not ask anything that a million other were not asking.

Political conversations is good if done in a respectable way. A a true intelligent listens to both side of the arguments makes there own decision but still respects the other side for the argument.

peace to all.

Political conversations is good if done in a respectable way. A a true intelligent listens to both side of the arguments makes there own decision but still respects the other side for the argument.

And this is how this thread should come to rest with a HONEST AND 100% TRUE STATEMENT!

We do have a chat feature that you are welcome to debate in. It is open to board members and we have relaxed the rules to a point in there. In past times it was a meeting place to drink a beer and yack about your day with friends. Some nights with 10 or more people showing up. To answer another question T.j. is the founder of this board 14 years and 4 versions ago. He is still here and active behind the scenes keeping ads up to pay the bills. I was voted the Ax man because I live far away and if a threat is made they have to drive far enough to reconsider there idea. Roy is here to help as well and keeps the bills paid and his wisdom is invaluable to me. Spiel is a Masterrod builder who works hard to read a lot of the content and makes adjustments as needed. That's it we all have busy lives but what this board has given us over the years we want others to have the same enjoyment.

Art

It would seem that the influence of political attack ads have spread to the general public.. opinions aren't discussed online without mud slinging and anger.. we pick political sides based on either what our parents followed or our life experience be it good or bad .. the fake or embellished news stories we see online certainly don't help.. take all news with a grain of salt and be sure to check facts before forming an opinion ....

We do have a chat feature that you are welcome to debate in. It is open to board members and we have relaxed the rules to a point in there. In past times it was a meeting place to drink a beer and yack about your day with friends. Some nights with 10 or more people showing up. To answer another question T.j. is the founder of this board 14 years and 4 versions ago. He is still here and active behind the scenes keeping ads up to pay the bills. I was voted the Ax man because I live far away and if a threat is made they have to drive far enough to reconsider there idea. Roy is here to help as well and keeps the bills paid and his wisdom is invaluable to me. Spiel is a Masterrod builder who works hard to read a lot of the content and makes adjustments as needed. That's it we all have busy lives but what this board has given us over the years we want others to have the same enjoyment.

Art

Is it only 14 years Art? I know I was on this board (well OFC) before we moved up to Lindsay and that was 16 years ago. (it changes the N to a C on me).

Edited by Big Cliff

A thread where Cliff apologizes for creating a political thread is becoming another political thread. Now that's humourous.

Art, a big thank you to T.J., Roy, Spiel, and yourself for all the fantastic unselfish work you guys do to keep OFC alive for us all. I read other forums and on-line news publication where they ask for donations to keep the site on-line. I have never read here that donations are welcome. I know I would pay a nominal annual fee or a donation to ensure OFC stays on-line. Being a privately owned L.L.C. or corporation that might not be something allowed legally, I'm not sure. You guys would probably refuse to accept donations anyway.

Thanks again, I probably speak for us all in thanking you.

My time line might be wrong I was member 77 on the first board. We sometimes would go for a week and not flip a page. The community began to expand past just fishing reports as we shared our trials of life. We liked the format and it has been working since then, The ads we run are minimum to keep the board flowing. The amount of bandwidth and the security updates and support at times is taxing but Roy has done an amazing job with dealing with the issues and negotiating deals that make it possible for us to survive. The donation route has been discussed and we would rather have people look at the ads and if one of them interests you go ahead and click on it. That will put a few pennies in the bank for bills without taking money from just a group that donate here. We all like the fact that OFC is here and strong with the loyal members we have here.

So Thank you as well to all here and in the future.

Art

I believe 2002 was the official launch...

I remember T.J. calling me to offer a stay at a fishing lodge as a prize from the board. I had to turn it down because it was too close to my wife's due date. My son was born on October 26, 1999. That is how I know that the board has been here since at least 1999.

The board was a lot different then. 2002 may have been the launch of a later version.