2017 Blue Jays

John Bacon

Qualifying are not intended to be accepted. It is just an administrative procedure to ensure the Jays will get a draft pick if the players sign with someone else.

Declining the qualifying offer does not prevent the player from signing a more generous and/or longer term contract with the Jays. But they are also free to talk to other teams as well.

Thanks! I learned some there.

But TO has stated they wont go above that offer, have they not?

Thanks! I learned some there.

But TO has stated they wont go above that offer, have they not?

I haven't seen that anywhere...they also have not released the contract they have offered him,

The only info you can find is Edwins Agent saying the offer "wasn't quite where we wanted it to be"

I haven't seen that anywhere...they also have not released the contract they have offered him,

The only info you can find is Edwins Agent saying the offer "wasn't quite where we wanted it to be"

Oh I hope your right! I want both to stay

It was on sportsnet last night that I heard

Edited by manitoubass2

• 2 weeks later...

This may signal the end Encarnacion time in Toronto. Jays sign Steve Pearce. He can play 2nd and and outfield in addition to 1st base; so perhaps there is still room for EE; although it does seem less likely now.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-blue-jays-add-lefty-masher-steve-pearce-151649279.html

Edited by JohnBacon

I am guessing that EE and Jose are scratching their heads wondering where all the offers are. They have waited years to get access to free agency and the windfall of cash and are finding out that baseball is turning into a young man's game.

At their ages, teams are are extremely cautious and given their salary demands and teams being so close to their financial caps, both may end up being a bargain when it is all said and done.

HH

Eddys agent screwed up big time...

Jays made their offer, they politely rejected under the idea that they would get a bigger offer elsewhere or a big counter offer from the jays. Neither of which happened...and now eddy is going to have to go sign somewhere he doesnt want to play for the amount that the jays initially offered him.

The jays have already said that the prices have changed and the original offer they made is no good anymore.

yep, EE and his agent blew it. I would fire that agent. How can anyone need more than $80 million. Yeah, I know it's about the market and all that, but there comes a time when a player has to stand up for what he truly wants. He always said he wanted to stay in TO and at his age, he should have grabbed the $$$$ and stayed here. Bautista will probably get a year or two somewhere else for less than he expected. However, it's the sport world and crazy things happen every day!

The big thing they mentioned is that EE may have been getting a lot of pressure from the players union to hold out for a better deal. Although, looking at it now, EE turning down 4 and $80 may have screwed everyone over.

Its a shame, they Jays are giving up...... 70+ homeruns this year by having Joey and Edwin walk

Jays need to get EE if at all possible.

If they lost 70 hr giving up EE and Joey. How many did they get back with the players they got.

12? Maybe 25-30 with a strong year.

Oops. Morales had 30 last year. I'll give him benifit of the doubt. So we are talking 40-45 with the two signings.

Edited by jeremy84

I don't think they have any plans to bring Saunders back.

That would probably depend on who else they sign. They have a budget for salary, and they are trying to sign other players; rumor has it that they have made an offer to Dexter Fowler. Depending who else they sign, they may or may not have a need or budget for Saunders. If they have room for him, I am sure that they will make an offer.

What about Ben Revere??? I liked him as a lead off guy. Maybe they can get him back.

I should have become a baseball player (yeah, in my dreams) Benoit signs with the Phillies for $7.5 million for one year. Not a bad salary for his age.

Edited by jimmer

Heard on the radio,Jays are talking to Jose again. We need both or at least one.

I understand originally the Jays had offered him 80 mill for 4 years, rumour has it some one offered him 60 for three recently so maybe he's trying to get that old offer back.

edit: sorry,my mistake, that was Edwin

Edited by dave524

Jose might have one or two exceptional seasons left in him, providing he can stay healthy but I think signing home to a mega buck 3 or 4 year contract would be a mistake. He might actually be worth the 20 million this season, maybe even 25, but I can't see him having a ton of interest from any team for a long term deal.