2017 Blue Jays

John Bacon

!: Saunders is not coming back he defense was adventurous at best, and his 2nd half was something to forget. They have 5 outfielders in their system right that could easily see time in the bigs, outside of Pillar, Carrera, and Upton JR, they have Pompey, and then Anthony Alford, and cant forget about Cecilianni.

2: Edwins agent screwed him by waiting, every desirable team that was interested, Jays, Astros, Yankees, Rangers and Red Sox maybe, are now out because his agent waited.

3: Bautista, 1-2 years max, at 17mil per year. His range has diminished, his arm, non existant anymore, its average to below average since he hurt his rotator cuff in 2015 vs Baltimore on a stupid play

4: Jays outfield is in decent shape with Pillar, Carrera, Upton JR/Pompey, and Pearce can also play outfield. which means they can focus on rebuilding the bullpen, and possibly adding a starting pitcher (Doug Fister is a free agent) would be a good addition to the back end of the rotation, and then can swing liriano into the pen.

EE is still the top free agent, that hasn't changed. Heres the problem, teams have a timeline, free agents have a timeline. Edwins agent said wait, find out what your value is, and get a ton of teams interested. problem is, teams were interested, they weren't interested in waiting over a month to figure out if 20 mil is or isn't available to them.

Teams have moved on to their plan B, and went with cheaper, yet suitable alternatives. One way I can see the Jays signing Edwin is this, they turn around and finalize Pearces contract, then trade him for pitching, or an outfielder, then sign Edwin. its a possibility, although unlikely.

Ok... a little math here.

They signed Smoak to a two year 4 mill per season in the summer. Had they not done that, it would have freed up 4 mill per year to put towards EE. By not signing Jose, that's another $15 mill in budget space. So, there's roughly $20 mill unaccounted for in the budget.

That's enough to get Edwin back. They also have the roughly $12 to $15 mill that EE got last year, still in the budget.

I'm not far from calling shenanigans!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

!: Saunders is not coming back he defense was adventurous at best, and his 2nd half was something to forget. They have 5 outfielders in their system right that could easily see time in the bigs, outside of Pillar, Carrera, and Upton JR, they have Pompey, and then Anthony Alford, and cant forget about Cecilianni.

4: Jays outfield is in decent shape with Pillar, Carrera, Upton JR/Pompey, and Pearce can also play outfield. which means they can focus on rebuilding the bullpen, and possibly adding a starting pitcher (Doug Fister is a free agent) would be a good addition to the back end of the rotation, and then can swing liriano into the pen.

I hope to hell the blue jays arent comfortable with there outfield situation..counting on Carrera or Pompey as potential everyday guys is not a good idea.

I hope to hell the blue jays arent comfortable with there outfield situation..counting on Carrera or Pompey as potential everyday guys is not a good idea.

I think they are trying to sign Dexter Fowler. Pearce can also play in the outfield; but I doubt that they would use him as an everyday outfielder.

I think they are trying to sign Dexter Fowler. Pearce can also play in the outfield; but I doubt that they would use him as an everyday outfielder.

Yupp i want them to get Fowler...

They need another real starting outfielder IMO, Carrera can start in a pinch but give him everyday at bats and its going to be a pretty stat line at the end of the season.

Pompey may still turn out great, but it would be wise not to depend on him being an everyday guy this year

I have no idea why they'd bring back Smoak either, especially to the tune of 4 million bones. He's like a .223 career hitter and completely one dimensional, showing occasional power. It's hard to imagine there isn't a power hitting prospect somewhere in the minors who couldn't equal or best his numbers if pressed into service at a fraction of the cost. Might even give fans something to get excited about. I also liked Ben Revere and Rajai Davis before him. He won the stolen base crown this year I believe which is pretty cool considering his age and limited playing time. Good for him.

I have no idea why they'd bring back Smoak either, especially to the tune of 4 million bones. He's like a .223 career hitter and completely one dimensional, showing occasional power. It's hard to imagine there isn't a power hitting prospect somewhere in the minors who couldn't equal or best his numbers if pressed into service at a fraction of the cost. Might even give fans something to get excited about. I also liked Ben Revere and Rajai Davis before him. He won the stolen base crown this year I believe which is pretty cool considering his age and limited playing time. Good for him.

For me, my first baseman has to generate offence. Hit, steal bases, have power, walk lots. I feel like a defensive first baseman will always be a secondary need. With Smoak hitting sub .250 I could care less how well he can cover the bag.

For the life of me I don't know why they brought Smoak back. Especially so soon into free agency. That extra $4 million could have come in real handy now.

That was signed last summer; not during this free agency season. But that deal is still not looking that good.

Smoak is not an everyday player, he plays very well defensively, and I do believe he won at least one game this year, game tying homerun, then walk off homerun in extras. He will be used to give players some rest. I think the main reason they signed him, was to be backup for Edwin, use him to give Eddy some time off his feet at 1st base.

Even worse. Its not like teams were going to be clamoring to sign him.

Dexter Fowler goes to St Louis. Its official. We have the worst outfield in baseball.

they do?? Pillar won 2016 fielding bible award, an award that is held in higher regard than a gold glove, since only one player wins this award at each position, not 2 http://www.fieldingbible.com/

Upton, has great speed, and a very good arm

Carrera is an average fielder at best

Pompey is a very good fielder, great speed, only thing that kept him down has his bat

In terms of defense I'm good with Pilar in center. I have no problem with that. Upton made a lot of bad plays last year and Pompey is not the player everyone thought he was going to be.

I'm all for a defensive minded team, but when they end up hitting a combined .220 with about a dozen homeruns and a sub .300 on base percentage we are screwed. Right now all of our Offence is going to come from Donaldson and, if we are lucky maybe Morales.

Edited by jeremy84

Pillar is fine defensively, but he is clueless when it comes to hitting. Dude would strike out in the on-deck circle if it was within the rules.

HH

he only struck out 90 times in 548 at bats, thats about average across the league. for example, Ichiro, one of the best contact hitters of all time, averaged 65 strikeouts a year, Saunders, well, lets just forget about him, 157 strikeouts over 490 at bats.......

If the jays could get Edwin for 20 million a year for 3 it would be a bargain. I'm looking over some of the other contracts out there and 20 million doesn't necessarily get you a lot. Dexter fowler just signed for 17 million a year. Decent player but no Edwin. I can't believe Chris Davis in Baltimore has a 162 million, 7 year contract. Guy struck out 220 times last year and had a whopping 85 RBI. Horrid.

If the jays could get Edwin for 20 million a year for 3 it would be a bargain. I'm looking over some of the other contracts out there and 20 million doesn't necessarily get you a lot. Dexter fowler just signed for 17 million a year. Decent player but no Edwin. I can't believe Chris Davis in Baltimore has a 162 million, 7 year contract. Guy struck out 220 times last year and had a whopping 85 RBI. Horrid.

davis was horrible this season, but a dangerous hitter none the less

I would say, offer edwin 4 years at 18 mil, and see what happens, he may take it, his market is pretty dry right now. whats the worst he can do, say no?