2017 Blue Jays

John Bacon

They just signed Brett Cecil to a three year contract...I personally think that is a bad move...I shake my head every time they bring him in to pitch to more than 1 batter...

They have extended him an offer, he hasn't signed yet.

He has been our best reliever besides Osuna for 3 outta the last 4 years...I'm all for bringing him back

I'd like to see Upton given a shot as an every day player, providing they haven't already gotten rid of him when I wasn't looking. Home runs are exciting but so is speed on the base paths, Uptons got both power and can really move, maybe a slim chance at a 30/30 season. I think he's also a relative bargain as I don't think the jays are on the hook for all of his contract. Would be nice if Pillar would start swiping bases again too.

I'd like to see Upton given a shot as an every day player, providing they haven't already gotten rid of him when I wasn't looking. Home runs are exciting but so is speed on the base paths, Uptons got both power and can really move, maybe a slim chance at a 30/30 season. I think he's also a relative bargain as I don't think the jays are on the hook for all of his contract. Would be nice if Pillar would start swiping bases again too.

Agreed, I think that is the plan.

I don't see them signing two outfielders either way, so either Upton or Pompey will be a starter in 2017

Edwin wants to stay in Toronto, badly. he'll take less money to stay there. Morales will be DH, they sign edwin as an everyday 1st baseman, smoak is there for relief to get someone off their feet for a game or 2 at a time, reliable backup, great defense, very good late inning replacement.

I hope they can sign Cecil, he had an off year, and his injuries most likely played a major role in that. (Torn calf muscle, and an arm problem early on this season)

Can't go wrong with Uptons deal, San Diego is picking up 3/4 of the bill, strong arm, good speed, but does strike out a lot.

Lot of signings still to go. Jays have 11 free agents. Darwin Barney is in that group as well.

After a long hiatus away from the game for me as a fan I am amazed to see the salaries of Major League ball players today. It is far higher in MLB than a NFL player. There are only a hand full of impact Football players that make between 15 and 20 million a year. A Pro Bowl player might earn between 8 and 15 mil a year. The average playing career is far less for a NFLer as well. We aren't talking chump change in the NFL and my heart doesn't bleed for them, I am just surprised at the wage gap between the 2 games given that NFL teams make greater earnings than MLB teams do. Costs for a MLB team must be substantially higher for 162 games vs. 16.

This kid looks good, it would be nice to have 2 players of this caliber. I don't have an idea as far as his defensive skills are concerned.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

After a long hiatus away from the game for me as a fan I am amazed to see the salaries of Major League ball players today. It is far higher in MLB than a NFL player. There are only a hand full of impact Football players that make between 15 and 20 million a year. A Pro Bowl player might earn between 8 and 15 mil a year. The average playing career is far less for a NFLer as well. We aren't talking chump change in the NFL and my heart doesn't bleed for them, I am just surprised at the wage gap between the 2 games given that NFL teams make greater earnings than MLB teams do. Costs for a MLB team must be substantially higher for 162 games vs. 16.

This kid looks good, it would be nice to have 2 players of this caliber. I don't have an idea as far as his defensive skills are concerned.

With the exception of a quarterback, I think football players are much easier to replace than baseball players.

The Jays have every intention of being in the playoff hunt next year. Having another slugger signed is a real nice problem to have. I really hope that EE stays with the Jays. Man what a real potent batting line up that would be. Even with one or two of the top 6 batters in a slump it would still be formidable. Love it.

The pitching is very good to good but not great. Can't sign great new pitching then sign more great hitting. A win is a win, if they win 1-0 because great pitching or 17-16 because of great hitting,it's still a win. I like what the Jays are doing, working to put the possible team on the field that they can, not the best team ever but the best possible team. Remember all the other teams are trying to do the same thing. I like our chances for 2017. The Jays just got a little better.

MUD

Upton hasn't been a decent everyday player since he left Tampa. He wasn't very good in Atlanta.

I'm beginning to think that the Jays front office is looking to change the team, more than keep what they have had.

Objectively looking at the last two seasons, the Jays were essentially the same team. That team has proven twice, that they are just not good enough to win it all, close, but not quite there. So, management have decided that they have had their shot, their collective soft underbelly exposed and the realization has been made that this group just aren't able to move to the next level.

I don't except them to sign either Jose or Edwing. I expect them to address the issues that have presented themselves, namely, more consistent hitting and left handed hitters.

I am willing to let them do their thing, before I pass judgement on their decisions.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I hate this speculation game... Just make some signings and start playing again!

I do really hope they do give EE another shot, throw the fans and a loyal player a bone. It'll be a while before he signs anywhere because he is probably the most sought after power hitter in this current free agent market. Jose, I'll be sad to see him go. He was my favourite player for the past few years and has provided a lot of great memories, but I don't think he is high on the priority list or part of the long term needs of this team.

I'm all for trading a bit of power for some speed, contact and a look at the left side of the plate or a switch hitter. The Jays have sufficient power even if they lose EE and JB with the likes of Donaldson, Martin and Tulowitzki (of course they have to play up to their reputation too). It's going to be a different team next year for sure, and I doubt there are going to be any defensive holes.

Didnt EE and Bautista already decline qualifying offers?

Thats what I seen.

And TO isnt gonna go higher, so IMO they are both gone

Qualifying are not intended to be accepted. It is just an administrative procedure to ensure the Jays will get a draft pick if the players sign with someone else.

Declining the qualifying offer does not prevent the player from signing a more generous and/or longer term contract with the Jays. But they are also free to talk to other teams as well.

Edited by JohnBacon