Marina Pike tips

huzzsaba

I recently discovered some pike at a marina at the tail end of my weekly fishing routine, so I decided to throw a crankbait in the water. I reeled it in so it stopped in front of the pike and it decided to take a close look at it. I am pretty sure it gave it a nudge too, then decided to turn around. I cast again and it decided to inspect it for a second time but no bite.It probably wanted something tastier lol. I didnt have time to experiment with other baits, although I did try a green/silver little cleo and didnt get any follows.

I pulled out some frozen sucker minnows from the freezer and plan on using that under a float next time. I have wire leader in my tackle box but not sure if I should go with that or go with heavy 30 lb mono line, or straight braid?

Any other tips? I have been hunting for local pike for a while and finally found them. Would like to hook into one at least before they disappear lol.

Thanks!

Definitely use a leader, pike teeth will cut through braid instantly. I find pike, particularily bigger pike wont hit if you can see them because they can see you. Big sucker minnows is always a good strategy though i prefer using live one.

Try throwing a big spoon like a williams whitefish or a large len thompson or try tossing some grandmas or rapalas in a stop and go motion.

Even the biggest pike love grabbing a lure that suddenly stops or suddenly takes off away from them. Try make long casts to your spots to give them a chance to hit before they get too close.

Good luck!

It seems every inlet, river mouth, bay, marina, etc. along Lake Ontario holds some Pike. Some really big ones too.

Most guys use a suspending bait like an X-rap to get them to strike. Long pauses.

Definitely use a heavy fluorocarbon leader. 80lb and up as Pike will slice through braid with ease.

Make sure you have permission to be where you are and a safe and fish friendly spot to land/net the pike before you start casting.

Cheers,

Mark

Lake O marinas hold lots of big pike, plenty of 40" pike around. My favourite technique used to be jerkbaits, my favourite was a suspending husky jerk. Cast it out, jerk jerk, and loooooong pauses, I have watched a pike stare at a suspending jerk bait for over ten seconds before deciding to hit it. Spoons like wabblers will definitely work and dead bait under a float is a good choice as well, but I've never found anything more effective than a jerkbait.

Get yourself a few HJ14 husky jerks and fish them like a jerkbait like Joey mentions above. It's by far the fail-safe technique for those fish. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. Get that down and catch a few then experiment with some different baits to develop the arsenal as they won't always want the jerkbait, but most of the time they will.

Thanks for the replies.

So I got out this morning and there weren't as many there as a few days ago. I am sure they are there but spread out. The only Pike that was there didn't go for the dead sucker. I will try the husky jerk next time. I do have one which I believe is the blue and orange one. I think it is HJ12.

I did get a few 5-6 lb bass take a good look at the sucker, but I am sure they saw the steel leader. On a positive note, as soon as the bass showed up, so did a group of Special Needs folks who were asking if there were any fish around. They were delighted when I showed them the 2 monster bass swimming about. Hopefully that made their morning :)

Anyone have issues with birds taking your deadbait? There's lots of cormorants in the marina's I fish.

Anyone have Seagulls dive bombing their Jerkbaits? It happens.

Most Cormorants should be heading South.

Just use an X-rap, Husky Jerk, type bait like has been mentioned.

Slow down your pauses until you think it is too long, then slow down some more.

If Pike are there and going to be biting on that day, they will take the Jerkbait.

Cheers,

Mark