Daiwa Lexa 300; Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60; Shimano Curado 300e

Tjames09

I got a Lexa 400 as well as a revo toro winch 61 brand new this year

If I had to say what reel is better so far... Revo Toro

First musky on my Lexa I bent the power handle on the hook set (my fault) but when I looked at it the handle is a terrible design

Revo is smoother... feels more sturdy...non disengaging line guide... clicker if you need it...

I got a Lexa 400 as well as a revo toro winch 61 brand new this year

If I had to say what reel is better so far... Revo Toro

First musky on my Lexa I bent the power handle on the hook set (my fault) but when I looked at it the handle is a terrible design

Revo is smoother... feels more sturdy...non disengaging line guide... clicker if you need it...

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the winch was discontinued. Looks like the really shortened the Toro lineup to 3 reels. Toro, Beast, and rocket.

Too bad you weren't looking for musky gear a couple months ago.

I just sold off everything I owned including some high end rods & reels, all the musky tackle you'd ever use, a couple tackle boxes, a Frabil/Beckman musky net hybrid and everything in between.

Even tossed a 19' SKEETER deep V, tandem custom trailer & 150 Yammy into the mix

A few fellas on this board got some very nice deals.

Edited by lew

If you're willing to dish out the money, I would say tranx hands down. Its an awesome reel, and it can do it all but comes with a higher price tag and only in RH retrieve. I have a lexa 400 now and after a few season of throwing baits its starting to go. Might get one more good season out of it. My brother has the Calcutta 400 and loves it, uses it for everything. I've heard good things about the Revo Toro S 61 and the Revo Toro Beast. I think it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

Too bad you weren't looking for musky gear a couple months ago.

I just sold off everything I owned including some high end rods & reels, all the musky tackle you'd ever use, a couple tackle boxes, a Frabil/Beckman musky net hybrid and everything in between.

Even tossed a 19' SKEETER deep V, tandem custom trailer & 150 Yammy into the mix

A few fellas on this board got some very nice deals.

So Lew what's it like?

I would feel emasculated without boat and tackle.

So Lew what's it like?

I would feel emasculated without boat and tackle.

Why would anyone feel emasculated for giving up something they had a fortune tied up in and they no longer had the passion for doing it ?

I fished hard for 65 years and now I've had enough.

And besides, I now have an extra 400 sq. ft. in my garage LOL

If you think the Calcutta is too expensive just remember you have 8 lòooooooong months till June opener to save your pennies or find a deal on a used one.

Dont think money is the main issue. I see them online: kijiji, amazon, ebay, etc.

I honestly dont really want a round reel. I wanted a low profile baitcaster, and everyone keeps recommending a round reel.

Dont think money is the main issue. I see them online: kijiji, amazon, ebay, etc.

I honestly dont really want a round reel. I wanted a low profile baitcaster, and everyone keeps recommending a round reel.

I'm not a musky guy but there's gotta be a good reason most are recommending a round reel. They've always been considered a more robust style, which makes sense to me when you deal with the largest predator we have.

Just curious, why so much bias against the round style?

Cheers

I have a calcutta 400 te and the revo toro beast, both of these reels set me back a good pile new but i wouldnt want anything else. I ended up getting the beast to throw 10s as i know i cant get parts for the calcutta forever. The calcutta throws the 10s beautifully but the grind will wear it out over time. The beast also throws 10s quite nicely and i have thrown nothing but during a full day and still had some gas in the tank.

i had my calcutta new on an old 6'6" compre i bought used for $50, i put my money into the reel first and everything else later.

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by Gallie

Calcutta. Without a doubt. I have a 400TE that is my Go to reel. I toss smaller stuff with my Curado 300E, jerkbaits with an Abu Record 60, an Abu 7000i for double 10s and another Abu 7000 for trolling. It took me 3-4 years to accumulate but now I do not need anything other than the odd new bait or leaders and some new line. Buy good gear, it will last and take a lot of use and abuse, cheaper gear will always leave you wanting and always end up needing to be be replaced because it falls apart. Welcome to the musky fray. Have fun.

If you are really only interested in low profile and don't want to break the bank, then get a Revo Toro S. The bigger one with a power handle. I have three Revo Toros, two of the original and a NaCl. They have been very good for me and I think that you will be satisfied with them as well. Andy

Edited by Andy

I had a Curado 300 thinking that the low profile would be nice and allow me to cast more due to less fatigue on my hands. I had a much better day using a buddies Caltutta

because a low-profile reel that does what you want (everything) doesn't exist. the tranx is propably the closest thing, but calling it low profile is a stretch since it is a massive reel. you're getting the same advice by 80% of the posters who have bin der dun dat for a reason.

you're not bass fishing anymore -- get a man's reel. :D

For the beast is the 50 size spool large enough? I also came across the old revo toro NACL 60 in a 6:1 gear ratio. I've read lots of good things on the NACL model that they don't make anymore.

Go with the 60 size. You will be happy you did. I bought the lexa 300 thinking it was enough but returned it after one trip for the 400. The Nacl 60 would be a good buy, if you're buying it second hand, make sure to do a thorough inspection of internals of the reel before purchase.

I have a Revo Toro s61 and a Calcutta 401d, used to have a Cardiff 401a and sold it quick. I was also turned off from the round reels after the Cardiff but I picked up the Calcutta after everyone was recommending it. I use the Revo Toro s for blades only up to double 10's and it feels pretty sturdy when I'm reeling it but I find myself turning to the Calcutta to throw everything else and generally just enjoy using it more. I can also throw blades on the Calcutta but then I wouldn't use the Toro s at all.