Daiwa Lexa 300; Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60; Shimano Curado 300e

Tjames09

Looking at expanding my musky arsenal. These 3 reels all seem to be in the same category.

Id be looking at the 5:1 gear ratios in the Lexa and Toro, the Curado only comes in 6:1.

The Lexa has a short line retrieve of only 23" in the 5;1; where the revo toro 60 has 29" in the 5:1 gear. The Curado is also 28", but using a higher gear of 6:1, could be harder on reeling in double 10's.

If i upsize the Lexa to the 400 it gets considerably heavier at 15oz, but line retrieve increases to 27", but it'd be the heaviest reel out of the 3 options. the 400 would also have double the line capacity of the Curado at 200yards for 80lb braid. The Lexa 300 is more in line with Curado and Toro for line capacity.

Any thoughts or considerations?

Looking at expanding my musky arsenal. These 3 reels all seem to be in the same category.

Id be looking at the 5:1 gear ratios in the Lexa and Toro, the Curado only comes in 6:1.

The Lexa has a short line retrieve of only 23" in the 5;1; where the revo toro 60 has 29" in the 5:1 gear. The Curado is also 28", but using a higher gear of 6:1, could be harder on reeling in double 10's.

If i upsize the Lexa to the 400 it gets considerably heavier at 15oz, but line retrieve increases to 27", but it'd be the heaviest reel out of the 3 options. the 400 would also have double the line capacity of the Curado at 200yards for 80lb braid. The Lexa 300 is more in line with Curado and Toro for line capacity.

Any thoughts or considerations?

If you want the best info listen to Lew... the Muskie Guru...... :worthy:

The Curado is also 28", but using a higher gear of 6:1, could be harder on reeling in double 10's.

What baits do you plan on throwing with this combo?

The curado and double 10s don't mix. All those reels aren't really ideal for large bucktails. The lexa can handle them, you probably want the larger spool. And the Toro winch can as well apparently.. but they are not the ideal if this is a large bucktail combo. If it's an all round combo, then you can go with the two latter reels on a heavy rod and it will get you by.

I have a curado 300 and barely use it anymore. Kinda of a redundant reel for me. I used to use it for topwaters and small jerkbaits, small blades, plastics etc. But I end up throwing those now on a heavier calcutta combo and it feels more sturdy and easier to control fish.

Ton's of info online on those reels mentioned and their capabilities with large bucktails.

What baits do you plan on throwing with this combo?

The curado and double 10s don't mix. All those reels aren't really ideal for large bucktails. The lexa can handle them, you probably want the larger spool. And the Toro winch can as well apparently.. but they are not the ideal if this is a large bucktail combo. If it's an all round combo, then you can go with the two latter reels on a heavy rod and it will get you by.

I have a curado 300 and barely use it anymore. Kinda of a redundant reel for me. I used to use it for topwaters and small jerkbaits, small blades, plastics etc. But I end up throwing those now on a heavier calcutta combo and it feels more sturdy and easier to control fish.

Ton's of info online on those reels mentioned and their capabilities with large bucktails.

Ya ive been googling a lot. Feel like every time I click another link I get polar opposite views. Some people say Abu, some say Shimano, etc.

I think the main purpose of the rod will be throwing large inline spinners like 8s and 10s. It looks like Abu doesnt make the winch anymore, its not listed on there website, just the Toro S and the Toro Beast, but the beast is above my budget.

All the above reels you mentioned will be fine throwing 8's, but will not be good for throwing 10's, and you will probably have some issues with reel failure. You should be able to find a used winch for that price point. I would avoid the Lexa for throwing blades, as the reliability seems to be hit and miss.

All the above reels you mentioned will be fine throwing 8's, but will not be good for throwing 10's, and you will probably have some issues with reel failure. You should be able to find a used winch for that price point. I would avoid the Lexa for throwing blades, as the reliability seems to be hit and miss.

I would have thought the Lexa 400 and revo toro s60 would both be okay for throwing 10s. Low gear, large spool, decent line retrieve.

Another person to check with is Handlebars he makes all his own lures to... check him out handlebarzfishing.com I believe Mike will direct you to the proper reels to use...

very sound advise.

Also I say spend more now on the reel then spend $250 now and $250 in 2 years to replace it..

Stick with Shimano IMO. Calcutta if you can.

S.

That's my opinion too. Not necessarily for performance, but for reliability, durability and longevity.

I use a Curado for muskie and pike fishing. It works better than my Calcutta for medium weight baits, but if I'm throwing the heavy stuff, the Curado feels overwhelmed, that's where I like my Calcutta 400.

Edited by chris.brock

Never used anything but Shimano for muskie fishing. Have a Curado for the small stuff and Calcutta for larger. For casting if having to choose just one to try and cover a range of baits and sizes, I'd go Curado actually...

Tekota 600LC for trolling over the Calcutta 400, every day of the week.

That's my opinion too. Not necessarily for performance, but for reliability, durability and longevity.

I use a Curado for muskie and pike fishing. It works better than my Calcutta for medium weight baits, but if I'm throwing the heavy stuff, the Curado feels overwhelmed, that's where I like my Calcutta 400.

Never used anything but Shimano for muskie fishing. Have a Curado for the small stuff and Calcutta for larger. For casting if having to choose just one to try and cover a range of baits and sizes, I'd go Curado actually...

Tekota 600LC for trolling over the Calcutta 400, every day of the week.

Thanks for the replies guys, my one concern is the 15lbs of drag. The other reels are more like 25lbs of drag. And the curado is a higher gear ratio which could make throwing any spinner blade tougher.

First of all, a reel that can pull double 8s may not be at all suited for double 10s. I have a Curado, great reel, but use it mainly for small to medium bucktails and spinnerbaits. I do not consider it well suited for extended double ten use. Wrong gear ratio.

I personally don't enjoy pulling in double tens. It likely costs me fish, but I go as big as double 9s and use a Toro Nacl with a power handle and it works well.

I think it depends on how often you fish double tens.

If you want to use them all day long, I'd get at least a Calcutta B with a power handle, or save up for a Tranx. You want the lower gear ratio.

If you like switching it up and want to use the reel for a few different lures, I'd try the Toro S with the power handle.

If I were to take a liking to tossing the heavier stuff for extended periods of time, I'd get a Calcutta with power handle.

Edited by Andy

once you get into double 10s above, and you plan on fishing them hard, you almost need a specialized reel ie. tranx, 7000 abu, winch, beast or one of the saltwater non-levelwinds like the trinidad or avet reels

if you don't want to go that route, get a calcutta 400 series.

i use an avet sxj mc. it is round but only about the size of a 6500 series abu. the lack of a level wind is a non-issue for blade baits but you would not want to throw anything that requires slack line (ie. jerkbaits) or doesn't pull very hard. in that sense, it's a one-trick-pony. however, if you're throwing big blades 90% of the time anyway, what's the issue?

Edited by Raf