Broken Lowrance screen

b_cdot

My screen on my HDS 8 is slowly fading black from the corner in. I bought the used boat this year. It's a 2012 and thats when the HDS was mounted. I was told to call Ramakkos in Sudbury or Radioworld in Toronto. Called Toronto first because I am closer. Guy wasn't very eager to help and made me feel as if I was wasting his time. Told me the guy I need to deal with isn't there til December. Called Sudbury and they said I can send in my unit and they would look at it and offer me upgrades at a price with a supposed credit for the unit that is slowly breaking. Has anyone had to deal with this? They said they can't offer a fix only a new unit. Would love to hear any input and possibly what I might be looking at for a new unit. They couldn't give me a price over the phone. Thanks

Years ago the Humming Bird I bought with my boat started developing small crack like things in the screen, mine was out of warranty.

I felt the price of a new screen for it was cost prohibitive, the technology at the time was advancing rapidly and it didn't make sense to spend 50%+ of the original purchase price on repairs to that unit.

Humming Bird offered me a discount on a replacement, but BPS had a cheaper price than their discounted price.

LOL, prices have certainly risen since I bought my last one!

Ernie (ecmilly) had an issue like that and they offered him a "deal" on a newer unit as well. Is it just the glass that pooched or more to it than that? If just glass you MIGHT be able to get a fix from a place that fixes cell phone screens (honestly not sure just offering up an idea here)

Thanks for the input. I did call Navico which is apparently the lowrance headquarters in mississauga and they refered me to ramakkos or radioworld. I did call up a freind of mine who fixes computer and cell phones screens and he said he would look at it. It doesnt sound to promising to hear that they arent really repairable. I wonder why they would do that? To answer your question is the corner and bottom of the screen that has gone black and its slowly getting bigger. The repair guy said it was"bleeding". Once I put the boat away and follow up with the unit I will leave an update for those who have had the same problem. It really is too bad that these units are so hard to fix.

It'll depend how old it is. I know the boats a 2012 but the unit may not be. Call and find out but have the serial number handy.

Either way the unit is out of warranty and Ramakkos said they would offer credit and give choiced towards upgrading at a fee

Hi

The primary reason that any of these units are not serviceable and only replaceable is that when they are manufactured they are sealed and then purged with nitrogen. In order to service the unit the seal would be have to be broken and there is no way to re-seal it and then again purge with nitrogen. If these units were not sealed in this manor they would not be waterproof and would have problems with condensation building up in them as a result they would fail quickly. You may have seen or experienced a unit with visible condensation on the screen, this is a product of a broken seal. The broken seal is often caused by dropping, bouncing jigs off them, and banging them around. Maybe some day in the future the manufacturers will build purge fittings into the case's so they can be disassembled, repaired and then filled with nitrogen to be put back into service.

Cheers

Randy

Would it bw a bad idea for someone to try and fix it then? Lol

nope

I really appreciate the feedback everyone. Thanks. At least I know what to expect. Hope they give me a good deal on an upgrade.

Because even if you got new glass it won't be sealed and will die the first damp day. Good luck and I'm sure they will offer a fare trade