I'm tired of Cogeco, interested in "The Box" NF

Big Cliff

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned over the air antenna. I just bought an amplified digital antenna with a supposed "150 mile" range for $69us. Hooked it up and I'm getting 69 channels.

F

R

E

E

!!!

You are fired cable company......

Not sure if it's available up there but I also use the streaming service "sling". For $25/mon I can watch Cleveland Indians and cavaliers games live and my wife can watch those vomit worthy real housewives garbage programs

http://antennadeals.com/HD2605.html

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned over the air antenna. I just bought an amplified digital antenna with a supposed "150 mile" range for $69us. Hooked it up and I'm getting 69 channels.

F

R

E

E

!!!

You are fired cable company......

Not sure if it's available up there but I also use the streaming service "sling". For $25/mon I can watch Cleveland Indians and cavaliers games live and my wife can watch those vomit worthy real housewives garbage programs

http://antennadeals.com/HD2605.html

those have a time and place. However Cliff is after 'more' than a basic set up from the looks of it. Also, where he and I live it's a bit more than that then you need a HUGE tower to get the best signal ($$for the tower). Hence why I offered him to bring me his old laptop (if he still has it) to format the drive and start with a fresh OS and new version of kodi so he can tinker and play it day by day after the fact.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

CTC had digital antennas on about a month ago, bought one, hooked it up couldn't get even one channel. I read the instructions and it said "must be within 25 miles of a transmitter". Took it back.

Geoff, that old laptop I had; well I still have it, it's a little slow but so am I these days. Some of the programs I have on it I can't replace so I'll just keep using it. I do really appreciate your offer though!

We don't watch a lot of TV, we like to watch the news in the evening, there is a couple of series that we enjoy, Quantico, Lethal Weapon, The Blacklist.... For the most part I just download those the next day and we watch them when we want and that is free.

The reason I am interested in an alternative to cable is that I resent paying for channels that I never use and having to pay extra for the ones I do like to watch from time to time; Discovery, History........

Anyway I think my question has been answered; there is no simple plug and play box out there that will replace my cable without me having to run wires and cables, learn new technology, and save me a lot of money.

Antenna - Live programming :w00t: , the wife and I could not go back watching our shows live except for news and sports. With health issues we watch a lot and tend to binge watch , like she will see a series that looks interesting and we will watch a couple of seasons worth of it over a few days. even the current shows we let then build for a few weeks before catching up.

Yep.. good old antenna.. but of the digital kind today. When Jen was in Mt Sinai, for weeks at a time, we just carried in her little flat screen and stuck an antenna in her room window. Pinged off probably 35 channels from the CN tower!

There is actually no digital antenna to speak of. Rather then having main channels on VHF and sub channels being on UHV like years ago, almost all programming is now on UHF so actually is a better picture but not as strong signal as what we are use to on the VHF side of frequencies. Thus, any antenna will get you the proper reception, however because it's not as strong as years ago, you need a antenna properly aimed if you are far away from the station you are trying to draw in. I use two antennas (pointed in different directions) combined on the roof and then one G-6 coax cable running into the house where it's connected to a amplifier and then to several TV's and a Tivo unit to boot.

But if you are close by to your broadcast tower, a simple antenna of any kind will work for the time being. However, you will be limited on how many channels you have to choose from.

It's FREE reception and it don't get no better then this.

I'm getting a gica box soon with an atcs receiver built in that will allow me to attach my Over the Air Antenna. From what i've researched this Gica box 'should' handle it's own upgrades as needed. Costs about 230 buck with that atcs part. I will post back when I get it.

About a month ago I hard wired the laptop running Kodi to our network rather than using wifi, there were days that buffering was an occasional problem but don't think I've seen it once since then, if you are seeing buffering especially on HD maybe try running a cable.I use this guy for installation of new addons, https://seo-michael.co.uk/

Edited by dave524

I'm getting a gica box soon with an atcs receiver built in that will allow me to attach my Over the Air Antenna. From what i've researched this Gica box 'should' handle it's own upgrades as needed. Costs about 230 buck with that atcs part. I will post back when I get it.

FYI....Amazon has the same box for 149...

Ethernet cable is the prefered method of connection....vary often buffering is a result of overloaded servers and hardwired super fast internet will do very little to fix that...with my current setup I get zero buffering for movies and tv I use a debrid service at minimal cost this provides dedicated servers in 1080...720 and SD for live TV you are at the mercy of the servers...I watch the habs game in HD with difficulty...the PPV boxing max was available but the streams were SD and they were buffering as the load on servers is enormous for these events.....

Problem with these boxes is that you'll never get local content and their 'Live' TV leaves a lot to be desired...

Not exactly true anymore Bill. A colleague of mine has a complete server installed and now has 200+ customers paying a very low monthly rate for "cable". He has most of the local channels all in HD. I was quite surprised when I saw them.