I'm tired of Cogeco, interested in "The Box" NF

Big Cliff

OK so we sign up with Cogeco, Internet is fine, good speed, unlimited. TV, basic package, (oh wait, you want the CTV News channel, that will be an additional $3.00 a month, History channel, Discovery channel, movies...... Just keep adding) . All of a sudden the TV bill is $60.00 a month and I don't have much of anything.

I keep hearing about the "box" for TV and prices seem to be anywhere between $50.00 and $300.00 but I don't know anything about these things so I am asking for help and advice.

Why the huge difference in prices?

Who has one

What make is it

What did it cost

How simple is it to setup/operate

Why did you choose the one you have

If you were doing it all over again, would you buy the same one

Anyone on here sell them

What should I know before spending the money (pros/cons)

Remember guys (and gals) I'm not the brightest bulb in the string so please keep it simple.

All help and comments very much appreciated

Cliff, get a hold of Randy. I had 3 units and sold them all due to llack of use. Make sure for ease of use you get one with a keyboard option to surf the guid better. Today I say hit up youtube and search "how to use kodi"

do you watch live sports? if so, a box is not for you

if you cant live without the national, a box is not for you

tell us about your viewing habits and those of us who are familiar with them can be of better use.

the boxes themselves are all the same in terms of what programming they can show. some do it faster, some have remotes, etc.

you can test drive what a box will do by downloading kodi to your computer and like gbw said, hit up youtube for all the latest on kodi add-ons.

Do you have a dated laptop around? We upgraded my wife's laptop during the boxing week sales and the old one is our " Box " with a wireless mouse as the remote. HDMI cable to the TV and I suggest using a hardwired connection to your modem/router rather than wifi, that did clear up most of the buffering issues we had. If you are willing to install and research the available addons you can usually get most local stations for news and find all the SNet and TSN sports channels, one stream that works this week might not work next week. Having a Windows based computer permanently hooked to the bigscreen has other advantages too.

do you watch live sports? if so, a box is not for you

if you cant live without the national, a box is not for you

tell us about your viewing habits and those of us who are familiar with them can be of better use.

the boxes themselves are all the same in terms of what programming they can show. some do it faster, some have remotes, etc.

you can test drive what a box will do by downloading kodi to your computer and like gbw said, hit up youtube for all the latest on kodi add-ons.

Not true, my son has the box called Red Rino,he watches any live sports,and most any thing thats on any channel,example say you want to watch "the walking dead" you just bring up AMC channel and watch it.He paid $300 for that one got it at the Pickering flea market.

Edited by gaspumper

A lot of those boxes are a rip off. They all rely on Kodi, which is a free app. Eventually it's just going to get killed because of the mass appeal and use. However, it's still going strong for now and as far as I know is legal for the most part [some add-ons function using peer-to-peer sharing which is illegal].

Basically, what Kodi is is software that you install onto your computer or media box in which you have to install add-on packages into. Think of the add-on packages as things like TV channels or even a cable package. They have things like FoodTV as an add-on that link to a variety of pre-recorded Food TV shows; or others like 1Channel that link to a huge variety of pre-recorded TV shows and movies. None of those are live TV, but there are also add-ons you can install into Kodi that provide Live TV programming as well. I don't watch LIve TV so not sure how good they are. There are 100's of add-ons you can get. It's almost like having Cogeco, Rogers and Shaw on your TV and you just choose what show you want to watch from within those selections.

As mentioned, it's not as easy to use as normal cable. Things often don't work and sometimes the add-ons just stop working completely. It's not the best for the non-techy, but it's not horrible either.

To set it up all you need is any computer or device with an HDMI out that runs Android, Linux, iOS or Windows. I use an old computer running Windows for mine. The Raspberry Pi is a good choice. Some of the Android media boxes are decent too, but no way would I pay more than $100 for one.

I am interested in this thread as well. I have cogeco and agree you don't get much for what you pay. Internet is fine however.

Anyhow, realistically how much GB of internet usage will be used for say a few hours of tv each day? I am guessing one should have unlimited usage with their internet provider for a android tv box.

I am interested in this thread as well. I have cogeco and agree you don't get much for what you pay. Internet is fine however.

Anyhow, realistically how much GB of internet usage will be used for say a few hours of tv each day? I am guessing one should have unlimited usage with their internet provider for a android tv box.

Even the Netflix site has changed settings and now advise you can use 2 to 7 GB of data PER HOUR (SD vs HD viewing).

I know some providers offer $100 for a fast unlimited internet plan and others less but you DO get the best value for the unlimited internet packages when you have ANY TV package with them too.

Cliff I do recall you had an old laptop or did. If you have it still I will clear the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows and load kodi on it for you and show you how to use the 'starter version'. All you need to do is bring the laptop over next week and a few cold beverages to chat over while I get it all set up... G

A few years ago I think you asked the same question and I got a Streaming 101 education. I don't have nearly enough band width rurally here with Xplornet. A pal down the lake has one and they can only use it for movies, then they have to wait an hour for it to download. Find out how much bandwidth you have coming into the PC. I have learned from my brothers lady that makes and sells them live sports isn't good. Netflix yes. I've seen all the Beverly Hillbilly and Get Smart reruns in high school, and memorized them. Oh forgot Green Acres!

I've had them for a very long time. Here's my advice to people...

1) They are NOT plug and play. You don't hook them up and live happy ever after with free TV

2) They are not good for live TV. If you want to watch TV as it happens, news, sports, etc. it can be impossible at times.

3) Tons of movies and shows are available but...some you'll watch in HD without an issue and others either won't work or will be in low def.

4) My opinion is they are great as an add on to cable...NOT a replacement.

5) Lastly, I've had 5+ different models with upgrades in both hardware and software. Find a person you can trust to buy from them. You'll need help or an upgrade sooner or later.

Some of you guys are getting hosed on bills. I pay $100 a month for unlimited internet, landline phone, and shaw direct satellite. If its live I watch it on TV, everything else I watch through my laptop plugged into the TV. Having the computer hooked up to the TV has a lot of great advantages. I have been using it a lot to learn new songs on the guitar, and even guitar lessons on youtube. Laptop to TV, TV to PA system, and plug in the guitar too. I love it. Everyone else in the house hates it, but OH WELL LOL....we are doing a karaoke party in a few weeks all through the same set up for free. There are all kinds of cool things you can do.

S.

spot on

Some of you guys are getting hosed on bills. I pay $100 a month for unlimited internet, landline phone, and shaw direct satellite. If its live I watch it on TV, everything else I watch through my laptop plugged into the TV. Having the computer hooked up to the TV has a lot of great advantages. I have been using it a lot to learn new songs on the guitar, and even guitar lessons on youtube. Laptop to TV, TV to PA system, and plug in the guitar too. I love it. Everyone else in the house hates it, but OH WELL LOL....we are doing a karaoke party in a few weeks all through the same set up for free. There are all kinds of cool things you can do.

S.

and as per "hosed" Shane, thus why I said a bundle of any kind is best

I've had them for a very long time. Here's my advice to people...

1) They are NOT plug and play. You don't hook them up and live happy ever after with free TV

2) They are not good for live TV. If you want to watch TV as it happens, news, sports, etc. it can be impossible at times.

3) Tons of movies and shows are available but...some you'll watch in HD without an issue and others either won't work or will be in low def.

5) Lastly, I've had 5+ different models with upgrades in both hardware and software. Find a person you can trust to buy from them. You'll need help or an upgrade sooner or later.

spot on.. except I somewhat disagree with #4 -- as it depends on your current viewing habits.

we cut cable over 2 years ago, with the combination of a 'box', subscriptions to netflix and nhl gamecenter we miss nothing from traditional cable tv. but it all depends on what you watch. if you like watching the evening news, or are a live-sports junky, i agree, it ain't gonna work.

I have been cable free for two years and don`t miss Rogers in the least....let me get this out of the way right now....don`t pay 300 dollars for a box especially from a fleamarket vendor....its a 50 dollar box with a fancy cover on it!!!

There is plenty of "free" live tv options and they work fine...USTVNOW is one gives you 7 HD channels 100% free and you can even record...

There are plenty of "aps" that stream live sports and I don`t mean Sports devil and Castaway while they work the quality is subpar....I watched every Bluejay game and Habs game I want in HD with very little problem....You have friends or family with a Shaw account ask if you can "borrow" their account number and download the Shaw go app....

Phoenix

Prosport

Specto

Vidtime

NHL Streams

Sportsnet Now

I use a Real Debrid Account that allows me buffer free links in HD.....if you have a 5mbps internet connection you can stream...

And like others have said if you have android device or windows laptop you can download Kodi and try it before spending money on a box.

If you have any question feel free to PM me....

Gord

Just got my bill from Cogeco and it went from $159.48 last month to $198.81 this month time to cut the ties as this is out of control.... will talk to mt son in law as to get me a box ... FAST.... :devil: This is far the exact same things Iv had for years.... just more problems with cut outs when trying to watch things.... Bull

Edited by Loonietoon

I have our units running as good as our cable provider , live Tv at the same time as the cable provider , most streams in HD , infinite hunting and fishing add ons , LIVE SPORTS even blacked out hockey games and free UFC events , I'll be one of the first to admit that it's not as user friendly as cable or satellite TV , there is a learning curve , but once you've straightened out the curve , it's as easy as pie , we still have cable , mainly because we'd only save 12$/mo by removing it from our bundle , but I haven't watched it in weeks.

No quality live sports is Bull , no 11o'clock news is Bull , no Jeopardy or Judge Judy is Bull ..

DONT PAY MORE THAN 150$$ ...

Message me before you buy one please , wish I were closer , I'd hook you up for about 90$

Randy

spot on.. except I somewhat disagree with #4 -- as it depends on your current viewing habits.

we cut cable over 2 years ago, with the combination of a 'box', subscriptions to netflix and nhl gamecenter we miss nothing from traditional cable tv. but it all depends on what you watch. if you like watching the evening news, or are a live-sports junky, i agree, it ain't gonna work.

From what I see on the Rogers site the NHL game center is $200/year... Seems like a bit much to me. Is that what you're paying if you don't mind me asking?

I have bought 2 additional boxes in the last month...1 was 99 bucks and 1 was 59 bucks and so far the 59 dollar unit is perform just fine....

If your not sure about a box just go to Goggle playstore and download the kodi app on your laptop or tablet and then contact me and I will show you how to set it as was mentioned there is a learning curve I kept my cable for about 6 months with Kodi took me that long to convince the misses we didnt need cable..with the exception of sports live tv is over rated watching a show after it has aired commercial free is great!!!

My wife has no trouble navigating Kodi and she has a list of shows a mile long that she watches....

From what I see on the Rogers site the NHL game center is $200/year... Seems like a bit much to me. Is that what you're paying if you don't mind me asking?

no, we get it 'free' due to it being bundled for 'free' with wife's share everything cell phone plan with rogers

if you connect to the nhl gamecenter site (not the rogers site but the nhl.com site) using a vpn/ip, from say... russia ;), it will be $99USD / year. this is how i did it in years past.

never pay 200.

Edited by Raf

no, we get it 'free' due to it being bundled for 'free' with wife's share everything cell phone plan with rogers

if you connect to the nhl gamecenter site (not the rogers site but the nhl.com site) using a vpn/ip, from say... russia ;), it will be $99USD / year. this is how i did it in years past.

never pay 200.

I just found that out with a bit of googling... I just bought a new house with with the woman and we're going this route when we move in, I'm keeping my current place as a rental and I have the Rogers ignite there so I'll just keep that and get it 'free' woooohooo