Are the motorguide wireless control unit trolling motor any good?

bassfighter

I am contemplating of buying a used Motorguide 75lb 24V bow mount wireless control Trolling motor. Any potential issues with the wireless unit?

I read that the wireless control does not respond with some obstruction between the control and the motor, But I do not intend the put the control too far from the motor itself. I also read on line that the hand control seems to work better.

Thanks for any feedback.

Until i got the motorguide x5 with the digital steering motorguides would over rotate and small taps either did not respond or over rotated. I replaced it with the X5 with anchor and could not be happier. It is 100 times better than the older units. I used both the fob and the foot petal from 16 feet away with no issues. It does not over rotate and the anchor is great when fighting a fish and not loosing the weedbed you want to finish fishing in.

Art

funny you should post this....I just happened to be checking mine out and here is an annoying little glitch: To turn the whole unit on you must use the remote/foot control (as far as I can tell!). The little battery (dime shaped thing) in my remote seems to be dead...so now I can't turn the unit on! Since I am heading out tomorrow 5 am looks like I will be without a trolling motor until I can find time to replace this unique little battery.

As far as the communication between the remote and the unit when I have a battery...I would say it is ok, not great. You eventually get used to how sensitive it works. I will be honest, sometimes I don't bother with the control at all (other than to turn it on). I just manually grab the thing by the "head" and point it in the direction I want, after all I am standing right at the front of the boat beside it.

Mine is now 9 seasons old.... man where does the time go. I JUST had to replace one of my foot pedals batteries this summer. My "key fob" and second pedal are on the original batteries. I downrigg for Lakers with mine on calm days... sitting in the back of my 22' Lund and controlling the trolling motor usually with the key fob. Been zero issues, other than you need to keep an eye on the housing screws for tightness.

Mine is now 9 seasons old.... man where does the time go. I JUST had to replace one of my foot pedals batteries this summer. My "key fob" and second pedal are on the original batteries. I downrigg for Lakers with mine on calm days... sitting in the back of my 22' Lund and controlling the trolling motor usually with the key fob. Been zero issues, other than you need to keep an eye on the housing screws for tightness.

^^^ What Wayne says. I bought the same model used from Tybo 2 years back and didn't install it until this fall :(. If I knew what I was missing, I would of installed it sooner. Zero operational issues & can operate from anywhere in my 21' Sylvan.

funny you should post this....I just happened to be checking mine out and here is an annoying little glitch: To turn the whole unit on you must use the remote/foot control (as far as I can tell!). The little battery (dime shaped thing) in my remote seems to be dead...so now I can't turn the unit on! Since I am heading out tomorrow 5 am looks like I will be without a trolling motor until I can find time to replace this unique little battery.

As far as the communication between the remote and the unit when I have a battery...I would say it is ok, not great. You eventually get used to how sensitive it works. I will be honest, sometimes I don't bother with the control at all (other than to turn it on). I just manually grab the thing by the "head" and point it in the direction I want, after all I am standing right at the front of the boat beside it.

Those 'dime shaped things' (CR2032?) are readily available in any hardware or pharmacy stores ;) & my unit operates via fob or foot control independently. Sometimes a re-read of the manual can be very helpful in figuring out 'glitches'. Chances are you bypassed a required set up process??

This the second motor guide on my boat and would not hesitate in recommending their products.

I ran both the 45 and 55 pound models, both were good. The 45 I bought new and never had a single problem with it. The 55 was bought used and right away had to do a major repair on it, but ran great afterwards. Reprogramming a foot pedal or hand fob to a different unit is easy, instructions posted below. Battery is indeed the coin style 2032, they actually sell them at the dollar store. I always kept a few spares in the boat. Never had one run out but for a buck just replaced them anyway at the start of every season. I have since upgraded to a Terrova mainly because of the iPilot feature, but if you can get the Motorguide for a good price it's a solid unit.

Edited by Fisherpete

I've had the wireless 55Lb for 10 years. I've found it a little hard to control if somebody is in between the foot control and the motor. Other than that it's been a great unit. I fish 25-30 days a summer with it and that includes trolling.

I'd like to try the FOB unit. Getting it off the bottom of the boat might avoid the signal problems. Where do I get one of those? Cost?

I have a older 75lb Motorguide 24v wireless and have had the same issues as Rizzo with the over steer etc. I manually steerfrom the head most of the time when in the shallows to avoid the noise. I paid $650 new 6 years ago and it's still going strong so I'm happy with it.

I have used the W55 for the last 5-6 five years with minimal issues.

My unit beeps sporadically and will turn without me pushing the buttons. Not sure where it is getting the signal?

It does respond well to my foot pedal and hand fob and in the beginning I had 2 fobs (they don't float lol).

My unit does not have the built in transducer so that is a PITA as I have to mount my transducer on the motor and the cable has to run loose along the shaft as it slides through the mount.

All in all it is a good unit and I have not had any battery issues.

If anyone can help me out with the unwanted beeping and unwanted directional changes that would be great.