Cannon dual axis or berts ratcheting.

porkpie

Anyone with first hand experience with both of these rod holders? I'd like your opinions on them overall, what your preference is and why and also which has the smallest base. I'll probably be ordering online as my local guy doesn't carry either. I have berts track mounts for down easters and am pretty happy with them, but my rocket launcher style holders are scottys and I trust them for pickerel and pike but not much else. Thanks!

Berts have a smaller base. They are both the same width; but Cannons are rectangular while Berts are diamond shaped. The diamond shaped base allows the Berts to be mounted at different angles. Since Cannons are dual axis they don't need to mounted are different angles.

I have both but I need to mount my second track before I mount the Cannons.

How big of an advantage is the ability to rotate the holders for your situation? I plan to mount a track along my starboard gunwale. Being able to rotate the holder would be a big advantage over the Berts which either need to stick up or stick out when I am not using them. My stern mounts holders don't really get in the way so the Berts are fine there.

The Berts appear to be a little more solidly made. I'll have more info next year after I mount the Cannons ;-)

I liked the idea of some adjustability in the base, otherwise I'd have just bought the Berts by now. I use the downeasters on the Berts mounts for dipsys and it's an excellent set up, but I'm planning on running some track across the back of my casting deck to mount cannon ball holders and rocket launchers for junk lines or moving rods further inboard off the riggers instead of having to clear them when fighting a fish off one side. I was thinking it might be nice to be able to move the angle also, just not sure how big a deal it will be.

There is limited angle adjustment with the Berts (if they are mounted in a track). You can rotate the entire holder about 45 deg either way in the track. If you need more than that, then the Cannons may be a better choice. The Cannons are also easier to rotate because you don't have to loosen the thumb screws to rotate the holder.

I have both. Overall, I prefer the Cannon's - 1 hand operation to change angle is a real benefit. The ability to rotate 360 is also great when you are running multiple lines out the back , or off the side. With the Bert's, the only way to change the angle of presentation is to remove and reset. With the Cannon its just a button and a twist.

That being said - 2 issues I had with Cannons - 1 the rod protector rubber tops aren't glued on - they will come off. I have silicon-ed all of mine on now.

2 - I had one of them where the rotating base started to separate and fail. I have heard this happening to others as well. Cannon was great for the rubber top, replacing it at no cost when I called, and Angling Outfitters replaced the one where the base was failing, no cost, no questions asked.Just make sure you keep your receipt for warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I got a couple reasonably priced Berts rod holders used, so that made the decision for me. As an FYI to anyone interested, you can change the angle of the rod holder while it's still in the track, you just have to unscrew the hold downs until they are flush with the bottom of the rod holders then twist. I'm hoping I don't regret not buying cannons.