Drop shotting for muskie

Big Cliff

Well first off I HATE MUSKIE! I have never been "mine's the biggest" kind of guy (well ok I'm a guy so perhaps once or twice :whistling: )

I would much rather come home with a nice feed of pan fish or walleye than catch a muskie (no disrespect meant to those that have dedicated their lives to trying to say "mine is the biggest and be able to show a picture of it" :angel: ).

So today I decide it's time for Big Cliff to pick up the fishing rod again, grabbed some worms and a chair (can't stand for very long anymore) and I headed out. First stop was looking for some black walnuts, to late the furry little buggers beat me to it this year.

Found myself sitting on a dock on the Scugog river just down the road from our new place. Set up a drop shot rig baited with some juicy night crawlers, cast out and sat back. It wasn't 2 minutes and fish on. It ran, it pealed line, I thought "I've got a nice walleye" and then it jumped!

Now on 6 lb test line with no leader I know most of you have already figured out what the end result was. Yup there it was gone!

Well it was fun for a couple of minutes, re rig, re bait, cast out again. Perch, double headers and lots of them but all small, biggest was about 8" but ok it was still fishing then wham!. Yup, another muskie, it swam, it ran, same results!

Ended a couple of hours with about 50 perch, one small mouth, and three, yes three muskie all on worms (no, I didn't land any of the muskie, and no, none of them were more than maybe 25 or 30")but it was still a lot of fun!