Lake Kipawa - Critique My Plan of Attack

Sterling

So in my last thread I asked for some advice as to where I should take the wife for a 1 week fishing getaway. Kipawa really stood out, and I'm locked in for the 14th-20th.

We haven't had the opportunity to fish walleye at all this spring/summer/fall, so I really need to put her on some.

A quick study of the lake shows that Kipawa is branchy, deep and big. I'm staying in a bay near the public boat launch on the southern end of the lake (circled in red).

wzl8pLO.png

This time of year I imagine fish will still be in 30-40 FOW. Some have mentioned a potential lake turnover, so the first thing I'll do is verify that the thermocline is there. I have a temperature probe that will do this for me. Honestly I'm not too concerned about a turnover, I think this will happen in November.

The areas marked on the map are either large bowls in the 30-40 FOW range, or sunken islands I plan on hitting in the evening/mornings. Here are some screenies of the areas, in an imgur album.

I plan on trying the following, in order;

1. Troll harnesses at depth (0.5-1mph)
  2. Troll shad raps at depth (1.5mph)
  3. Drag bottom bouncers.
  4. Still fish or drift with leeches.
  5. Do 3 & 4 on humps at night.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Should I switch up the order? I don't know the lake at all. Been there as a kid a couple times but that's it. If anyone could add some tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Sterling

I was there in August for three days. Launched and stayed at a campground right in the town of Kipawa. I got nothing the first two days but on the third I got 9 nice pickerel in three hours. Drifting with the wind along the side of an island in 30 fow. Green propeller jig with a worm did the trick. Your areas all look promising though. I tried the worm harness for awhile but it was too windy and I kept losing contact with the bottom. Good luck

It is a huge system to fish. It was probably 10 years ago that i was there and it was tough fishing. Watch out because the lake gets rough fast and the shoals are very random. I think your approach sounds good and you should bring all your tricks to that lake.

Can't help you with Kipawa but I like the thread... critiquing the plan of attack!

The target daytime depth seems to make sense. Can't go wrong fishing mid lake humps with live bait and I wouldn't fish slow anywhere with a blank screen (that's a given). I bet you could find the larger fish at night up relatively shallow.

Been there last 17 years in late July and always get fish. Some years silly good...others just ok. If you're staying down around the town of Kipawa good luck. Don't hear of great success down there ever. We jig fish 99% of the time and I don't believe I see that in your plan. Different time though. Beautiful lake...very expansive...thousands of spots...but which one is on is the game.Took us about 6-7 years to dial it in. Good luck.

As Ohio Fisherman start shallower and work deeper.

• In my experience a Shad Rap at less than 1.5 MPH is too slow. Don't Pigeon hole yourself to a specific trolling speed, vary the speed the fish will tell you fast or slow. I like a harness slow too. Blow your worms full of air, get a syringe at a pharmacy.
  • That is a big system to work with 1 boat. Ask where at a local bait/tackle shop, they want you to do well. I always look at the racks and see what tackle has less on it, that may be the ticket
  • Try a Lindy Rig and floating Jig head for drifting Leeches etc. I like the Leeches best as live bait for drifting
  • You are wasting valuable time still fishing unless you know you are on a school or it is a hole that has produced
  • Start with trolling covering as much water as possible
  • Work the shores and Islands on the windward side.

With all that structure I would be stumped as to where to start. A few cold beers, some Hi Test and snacks offered to locals and others that have been there before can be better than the most expensive electronics.

I like your approach. A job without a plan is a plan for disaster.

Go get em. And you two stay safe. If the catching is poor the Fall colours will be fantastic. Enjoy.

Probably too late now but good luck on your trip. If the lodge has a main dock with lights on don't discount some shore night fishing. Don't forget the lawn chairs and beer/wine. :) I won best Pickerel of the trip off the dock at Alwaki one year on our last night lol. Twister tail with a salted Emerald if I recall hehe. Cast, slip float, jig or drop shot are all good options.

Have fun. Cheers

Just got off Kipawa yesterday, was moose hunting and not fishing, though. Lake was about 57 degrees and will be more like 54-55 now. Don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding fish. I would start shallow with fairly aggressive presentations first. Last week they were definitely shallow and feeding up.

Also, the lake is down at least 3 feet from summer levels now, so there will be hazards that aren't marked all over the lake. You'll be in the back of Jawbone's bay which is a pretty spot, work with a few people that live down there.

Update guys, water is still 57, not muchluck though. I posted a thread on the kipawa forums, here's a copy of it in case anyone has pointers :

Hi all,

I'm currently camping on the southern arm of kipawa and not having much success. From what I read it seems the southeast arm of the lake is probably a better area? Anyone know of a place to launch?

I've tried pretty much everything in the south end without much success (only 4 so far), including down rigging at 30, harnesses, jigging, etc. Only action was at sundown. Is there something else I should try?

Any tips are appreciated!

I fished there years ago. We stayed near Hunters narrows at white birch point camp. We never had much luck fishing for walleyes during daytime. Sundown was when we would get into them. The few walleyes we did catch during the day were caught downrigging for Lakers. 25 to 30 feet down on 3" spoons. Back then our walleye fishing was heavily reliant on live bait. Worms and leeches. We would typically anchor and jig next to the boat. Lots of known sunset hotspots. I'm sure you have noticed boats stacking up late in the day. We did find a few spots of our own back in coves. But always seemed to do better when we joined the masses in the community holes.

We never even bothered fishing for Eyes during the day when we had our annual spring and fall trips. Early supper and on the water by 6PM. Day was spent fishing for Pike, golfing, hunting for wild garlic was fun or going to the Ballet in the afternoon. Just because we were a gang of Steelworkers didn't mean we weren't cultured.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

if im hunting eyes right now...im finding where they spawn and im dead sticking minnows in their doorway. Id be looking for somewhere the water is flowing into the lake and hitting them where they stage in 12-20 FOW.

You know the spawn in the spring right? lol

they're foraging, I don't think "staging" is the right word

Bingo..........fall fishing has NOTHING to do with fish staging for spawning in 6 months. The walleyes will do different things in different lake all depending on forage of that particular lake in question. Most times after turn over walleyes will be found in deep drop offs feeding on forage which could be miles away from where they will eventually spawn. However, prior to a turn over in early fall, many walleyes are working shallow areas at night frogging.

Bingo..........fall fishing has NOTHING to do with fish staging for spawning in 6 months. The walleyes will do different things in different lake all depending on forage of that particular lake in question. Most times after turn over walleyes will be found in deep drop offs feeding on forage which could be miles away from where they will eventually spawn. However, prior to a turn over in early fall, many walleyes are working shallow areas at night frogging.

Im speaking on experience here...but this is the exact opposite of where I fish my eyes. I let my numbers speak for themselves.

Edited by AKRISONER