Help! Federal regulations question

Dave Bailey

Took a whirlwind weekend trip out to Shediac, N.B., and saw a number of people fishing from the pier. I asked one of a person fishing there needed a license, but he wasn't sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that saltwater is considered federal property, and a provincial license is not needed. If that's the case, next time the gear is getting packed!

hey Dave in BC they generally define the provincial water boundary in the regulations. Anything beyond that boundary requires a salt water license.

Out east they dont need the tidal water license.

My experience is that it was always a clearly defined landmark i.e. a bridge, a sign or something along those lines.

Depends where you are fishing!!!

BC has a saltwater license.

Not sure about the East coast locations.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html

east coast does not. i know quite a few people that make the trip out there for atlantics in the gaspe bay area. also have friends that live in gaspe bay, and have asked them about licensing on more than one occasion in case i happen to find myself in the area :D one can dream.

but its defined landmark similar to our regs here where its 407, highway 2, cnr right of way.

Yeah, no license required for salt water fishing. On our trip to nfld this summer we caught a pile of mackeral off the wharf while waiting for our ferry. Caught hundreds of them, and cod in nfld....no license required there either.

Fresh water is a different game. License required. Cost me about $68 for 6 altantic salmon tags in nfld. Have to fish with a guide or immediate family. I filled 2 tags the one day i went for them.

Brought home about 200lbs of cod that didnt cost me a cent, other than gas in the boat.

S.

When I first started visiting Bro and Sis in laws in Halifax area I found it odd that amongst all of Dave pals none fished. They lived in a new home built on a small lake in Mount Uniak. I could see the Small mouth cruising the rocks along the shore line. None of the neighbours had a rod I could borrow so off the Wall Mart I went. When I asked them about needing a licence to fish they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Apparently they had 1 CO for 1/4 of the province for inland freshwater lakes, most were on the Atlantic. I bought 2 Rappala's and caught one Smallie after another. They love eating fish but no one fished. Fishing to them is something you had to do for a living, not for sport. I did keep a few and fried them in Panko, they loved them.

Would have been nice, but we had to take stuff out to #2 son who just moved out there. Car was packed so tight the windows popped every time I farted.

Lol...i had 3 of us in a terrain, cargo carrier on the roof and a cargo rack in the trailer hitch with the biggest marine cooler loaded with goods both ways....i know what you mean, but we did bring a bunch of fishing gear!