My trip to Kashechewan NF

wormdunker

I haven't been around much lately due to working in a remote area in Ontario, My work experience took me to a native reserve named Kashechewan a 1 hour flight north of Timmins. I received a phone call in mid August to hoist modular homes on a rez. I was very interested in the offer due to the remote location & I have never been that far north. I left Niagara area August 14, returned home yesterday. The job was to demolish 30 homes that were inadequate housing due to flooding of the Albany River & build 52 new homes for the natives. Working directly with the native folks was awesome. I've learned a lot about their culture, their habits & of course the fishing & hunting opportunities in such a vast wilderness. The modular homes are fabricated in New Brunswick by a company called Maple Leaf Homes. They are transported to a rez on the east side of James Bay called Wemindji. In Wemindji they are loaded onto a barge which then sails west into James Bay. Another barge from Kashechewan (our job site) sails east to meet the barge from Wemindji. They exchange an empty barge for the one loaded with houses, then they head back to Kashechewan. The houses are then transported to a location near my crane, I hoist them onto their new foundation. There are 52 new houses being constructed at the site. We have 29 homes in place, & 23 left to complete the project. I'm home for a week, scheduled to return this coming week end. I'm happy to report that 93% of the work force are all natives. They have many talents, such as quality carpenters, plumbers, electricians & labourers. Kashechewan houses 2,600 people with a rather large grocery store. A 24 case of water sells for $37.00 (yes thirty seven!!), a 900 g can of Maxwell house is $23.00, dozen eggs $6.00. Luckily I'm in a camp which provides all of our food. Presently the natives are moose hunting. They travel 40 kms down the river to an area which has a rather large moose population. 1 fellow was kind enough to bring into the camp a large tray of moose meat stew with potatoes, onions, & peppers which was very tasty. Fishing is very good with large quantities of pike, whitefish & pickerel near by. They have an indoor arena, church, medical clinic, community centre & their own police force. They also have an elementary school & a secondary school which has 200 students. I'll be flying back to Kash Saturday to complete the project before I return home for Christmas. Hopefully we finish the project before winter hits, as I'm told temps can reach -60 in January!

Sounds like a great experience. We were up that way along the James Bay Highway last summer and the fishing was great at all the drive in spots we hit. Not even one bug bite! The Cree we met at the Village of Chisasibi (?) were all very friendly and happy to see tourists coming to their town. A case of water there was 27 bucks! And they didn't sell Ice anywhere!!

Ridiculous prices for sure WD. Lucky you drink beer not water. Thanks for the read, interesting for sure. How can a person think about making enough to put food on the table, I know there aren't jobs there that can sustain a family at those prices. No one pays that for food there, that's impossible. As HTHM says "Hey look, a can of worms lets open it".

Open a Photo Bucket account and we can see some pics next time you head north. It's so easy even I can do it.

What would a 24 of beer be, $300.00 ?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Sounds like a cool experience. That is criminal for a case of water. We, as canadians should be ashamed of that. How can you justify that much money for 12 litres of water in a country with more water than we know what to do with. That kind of stuff really bothers me about us (canadians). We dont take care of our own people.

S.

Open a Photo Bucket account and we can see some pics next time you head north.

Exactly!

That's a great story but a few pictures would really enhance it for us readers.

Very cool though. I wish I could go up there and do something like that and get paid for it. You're like Bunk, temp working in the far north, except Bunk has great pictures :)

I couldn't afford to work up there at those prices.

I talked to the Dunker while he was up there. He is working for an amazing company. Flew him to the closest civilization so he could order a pizza and a few beers plus a few days fishing. You should give that company a shout out Brian.
-60 C, Come On Man. How do the hydraulics on a crane function at -60? We had major problems with systems freezing in Hamilton at far warmer temps, including steam lines. -60, that is as insane as the price of water or should I say bottled ice.

There isn't any WiFi and virtually no cell service there so it may be a while before he gets back to us.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not arrested? Don't leave us hanging Rick. Did they see your photo at Canada Customs? When the family had the condo in Florida a Lady and I flew down there out of Buffalo for 3 days on a red eye back to Buffalo. We got pulled over at the bridge on the way back at 2 AM. Sitting in the waiting room this woman looks at the wanted photos and says " I know that guy". 5 hours after severe questioning we were back on the road. She was prettier than smart.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not arrested? Don't leave us hanging Rick. Did they see your photo at Canada Customs? When the family had the condo in Florida a Lady and I flew down there out of Buffalo for 3 days on a red eye back to Buffalo. We got pulled over at the bridge on the way back at 2 AM. Sitting in the waiting room this woman looks at the wanted photos and says " I know that guy". 5 hours after severe questioning we were back on the road. She was prettier than smart.

Just after they left standing rock the police were rounding people up and arressting them for criminal trespassing, inciting or engauging in a riot and disorderly conduct.