camping at a boat launch?

canoecarrier

Is this legal? Is there a certain amount of distance you need to be ? Recently had an issue with an RV being parked about 20 feet from the launch, with a fire pit about 2 ft from the launch and 2 ft from the water. Boat in the launch, Chairs all over the place . There is some crown land around the lake, can he use that as an excuse? Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

Edited by canoecarrier

Stay as far as possible. It's bad karma to park close. Keep in mind that some people are new at launching boats and may require tons of space.

Since this is the off season there won't be too much traffic, in June-August I'd stay away from the launch area completely.

I have been to a few launches where there are very nice house trailers parked very close. One launch we went to you had to back in between 2 rental cottages, any boat larger than mine would never get in. I had to get out and move a table, chairs and a few bikes. I don't see any legal ramifications as to how far from a launch a residence, permanent or temporary can be. At a place we stay in upper NY state you beach the boat and tie off to the land, woke one morning to head out and there were 3 tents and a beach blanket bingo party set up a few feet from the boats. Buddies boats windshield was smashed out (the owners paid for a new window). I sure wouldn't camp close to one seeing how adept some are at launching as Sterling points out.

I have seen many launches where basically the land ends and the water starts.

We have "rested in our vehicle" (van) for YEARS without any problems, but we always pulled our vans way away from the actual launch area into a corner of the parking lot. Saved LOTS of money on expensive cabins and or tent sites and no reservations ever needed. We came and went as we pleased but always made sure we left the area as clean as we found it, sometimes cleaner.

The gov't launch that was on our lake always had signs " NO CAMPING ".

Sometimes we seen those signs, so we always called it resting in our vehicle officer. I fished all day/night long and don't want to get into a accident on a long ride home. For over 15 years we never had a problem or got kicked out of the parking spot and we did it in a LOT of different launch areas.

Is this legal? Is there a certain amount of distance you need to be ? Recently had an issue with an RV being parked about 20 feet from the launch, with a fire pit about 2 ft from the launch and 2 ft from the water. Boat in the launch, Chairs all over the place . There is some crown land around the lake, can he use that as an excuse? Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

That's standard practice in boat launches that I visited from Kirkland Lake to Timmins. Block the crap out of the boat launch by camping all around it so nobody else can get near it. Some of the jerks had huge RVs and they looked like they had been there for weeks. Not sure the 31 day crown land camping rule applies when you've squatted on a boat launch. Nobody seemed to move them along though so I guess it's legal??? Ignorant but legal!!!

That's standard practice in boat launches that I visited from Kirkland Lake to Timmins. Block the crap out of the boat launch by camping all around it so nobody else can get near it. Some of the jerks had huge RVs and they looked like they had been there for weeks. Not sure the 31 day crown land camping rule applies when you've squatted on a boat launch. Nobody seemed to move them along though so I guess it's legal??? Ignorant but legal!!!

I took a picture when I got there of the Rv, the guy came out at 6 in the morning while I was loaded up and tried to give me a hard time. I let him know what I thought of him and his mess and camping beside the boat launch. People like him ruin it for everyone, was talking to the locals and they were blown away. Won't last long until they put signs up and limit access like other lakes in the area.

I think the whole idea of crownland camping for 31 days needs to be reviewed. The idea was fine 30 years ago when there was lots of unused crownland and fewer people. I think 10 day limits would make a lot more sense. Not that anyone would enforce it anyway.

I think the whole idea of crownland camping for 31 days needs to be reviewed. The idea was fine 30 years ago when there was lots of unused crownland and fewer people. I think 10 day limits would make a lot more sense. Not that anyone would enforce it anyway.

The limit is 21 days.

I've camped at boat launches a few times when there are no other options, so long as it is crown land there are no laws against it, even though some lakes with higher volumes of people have put up signs saying otherwise.

Did it once for one day in early June at Head Lake near Norland. This was mid week maybe 10 years ago and there was nobody around, but we did set up a respectable distance from the launch and it was just one tent and one car. Somebody must have ratted us out because cops came to "evict" us around 11 pm. The officer was great, even apologetic. He saw we were polite, neat and quiet. Asked if we had been drinking, which we hadn't. He then rephrased the question..."You've been drinking right....because if you have I can't force you to leave". We understood. Spent the night, then headed to Pigeon bright and early and found the gem called "Big Island". Stayed there for the next two days of our three day trip.

Did it once for one day in early June at Head Lake near Norland. This was mid week maybe 10 years ago and there was nobody around, but we did set up a respectable distance from the launch and it was just one tent and one car. Somebody must have ratted us out because cops came to "evict" us around 11 pm. The officer was great, even apologetic. He saw we were polite, neat and quiet. Asked if we had been drinking, which we hadn't. He then rephrased the question..."You've been drinking right....because if you have I can't force you to leave". We understood. Spent the night, then headed to Pigeon bright and early and found the gem called "Big Island". Stayed there for the next two days of our three day trip.

The bold text is the sign of a good cop. He knew you were not jerks so he returned the kindness back to you.

He can't force you to leave regardless, unless that launch was in a municipality that has bylaws against camping. A police officer cannot force you to leave crown land?

all depends on where you are

Nothing wrong with long limits here. Moving is a pain

Blocking a launch is rude though

Lots of camping spots here are part of the launch but you still need to sorta leave access if it's the only spot

Edited by Dara