Cabela`s

As a comment, i recently boycotted bass pro after visiting and discovering that they stopped carrying the majority of products that I use because they now only want to sell BP branded items.

I figured I would give cabelas a shot this past friday...needless to say after 5 minutes in the store i left empty handed.

No loss here because cabellas to me just seemed like a cheap knock off bass pro...which is really saying something cause BP has turned straight garbage.

Please Sail...dont fail me now.

Edited by AKRISONER

Wonder how things shake out on this side of the border?

They will close the Cabela's locations, then build new BPS store's within a mile of current Sail stores. Once they have crushed Sail, they will close stores that aren't returning enough on investment.

Profit

HH

They will close the Cabela's locations, then build new BPS store's within a mile of current Sail stores. Once they have crushed Sail, they will close stores that aren't returning enough on investment.

Profit

HH

Sail gets my bussiness before BPS and even Cabelas, thats right at my back door. I make a few trips a year down that way, so it,s not like it,s out of my way.

honestly guys, what the hell are you buying at cabella's? Im at a total loss, i went in and unless you like fishing berkley, or cabellas brand...they had literally nothing.

It,s entertainment for my grandaughter. She dosent know the difference.LOL

She loves to look at the animals and play with the screen thing. 1/2 entertainment. ;)

I don't have either close here in Lindsay so I'm not too worried. If I'm heading to Whitby to take my kids 'home' I can then plan a quick visit to SAIL. But the local shops around here (and even the CTC) have what I'm after at a decent price and I don't have to drive an hour or more to get a deal.

They should have stuck with the guide/ outfitter type hunting gear , firearms, hunting clothing and of course the better quality fly fishing equipment they made their name on years ago. Going head to head with Bass Pro with the high volume , mass market, budget type fishing gear was their downfall.

honestly guys, what the hell are you buying at cabella's? Im at a total loss, i went in and unless you like fishing berkley, or cabellas brand...they had literally nothing.

Not everyone buys what you want. I check prices on line and if I don't have to venture to BP or Sail which costs gas and time, I'll buy at Cabelas. I've bought some of my camping gear, fishing and hunting stuff and I'm quite satisfied. Only ever once had to return a defective item that I can't blame them for. Even had them give me the sale price a week after it was over, I'm satisfied.

Edited by Fisherman

well we don't have a sail in our neck of the woods and the closest cabelas is in Winnipeg, the closest bass pro is somewhere in Calgary or maybe there is one in Saskatchewan . we do however have a fishing hole, wholesale sports and proam tackle in Winnipeg that seem to be in the ball park with their prices when compared to the big box stores.

cabelas used to be a cheap alternative when ordering from the states, but with the dollar doing it's thing, that isn't economical now either.

So what is BPS to gain really (other than locations and loss of competition in that manner)? Was Cabela's clothing line and hunting products that much better that it's best to buy the company than make the BPS line better? Sure Mr Morris has DEEP pockets but it's not like they are taking on Shimano to out sell them (at least in my eyes). I can buy budget price gear in bulk from overseas if I really needed to or wanted to. It's not like Cabela's owned Lund and that's why BPS purchased them for the extra companies other than the stores...

So what is BPS to gain really (other than locations and loss of competition in that manner)? Was Cabela's clothing line and hunting products that much better that it's best to buy the company than make the BPS line better? Sure Mr Morris has DEEP pockets but it's not like they are taking on Shimano to out sell them (at least in my eyes). I can buy budget price gear in bulk from overseas if I really needed to or wanted to. It's not like Cabela's owned Lund and that's why BPS purchased them for the extra companies other than the stores...

Cabelas went more mainstream / big box in the last 20 years but oldtimers associate the Cabelas brand with quality hunting and outfitting gear and clothing, it would be much the same as BPS buying out Orvis , they wouldn't want to bring the quality that the name implies and market those products under the BPS brand.