Good morning OFC. Never thought I would be putting together a report that entails Lake Trout but here it goes. I took the last week of September off and rented a awesome little cottage with the family. Prior to leaving I was setup with a nice lead core setup and a pile of spoons as the lake's I've fished for years hold beauty trout in them always knew it just needed to continue to break down the bass year after year. First day of the trip we pulled in and the lake clearly had turned over or was about to. Water was green some sections it was brown very wild conditions and the ultra low water didn't help. Pulled in and ran some water almost came up empty a few small pike and a decent bass.

qd5P9Pf.png

Decent Largemouth

5yWtYLB.png

Mom's turn

hnjisJt.png

That afternoon I put my line down for a troll going 1.4-1.9mph trolling Vision 110+1 jerk baits deep anywhere from 40-100FOW. First hookup and trout I've caught from these lakes was excited as hell and it got crazy from there!

MvEIsGR.png

DP51ZzK.png

End of that day the lake went flat couldn't resist some topwater smallies before putting all the bass gear away for the next morning in search of big Lakers!

And another big smallmouth little over 4lbs. Not a PB but glad to have her!

utszpej.png

New Personal Best for my little brother. 4lb's 5oz he was excited as hell!

GIox3AH.png

I went shallow later that day and found a couple of these nice critters!

BE3n13h.png

Next morning was the start of my Lake Trout week in my eyes. Number 1 before the first sip of coffee.

EgeAwXO.png

Then I got spoiled with this big girl! Such a fun fight. The setup was 9-12 colours of lead core trolling those Megabass jerk baits the smallies usually enjoy. Also ran a bottom bounder 200' back with a small shallow runner above. Not the "standard" but worked for me!

FhkNg6b.png

Next day we got into more! This time my Personal Best Lake Trout was on the line 12-15min fight lot's of bubbles and every fish kicked back strong and healthy. I'll keep one next summer but for this round we let em go so they can grow!

qgHo6uF.png

Jaws

NKxgWk0.png

And another as the sun came up! Solid solid fish

HdEMolK.png

Smaller but great fun really had figured them out for a couple days. The tough days were 1 or 2 fish outings lot's of dinks in between

AqwMQxd.png

The stare down

EZ990vL.png

Promised my brother his first trout. He isn't huge on fishing but will jump in the boat 2 or 3 time a trip. Was happy for him he enjoyed every second. Trolling with the tunes on made it better

3yV4ZOj.png

Another morning another tight line! They were on "Pink" colours baits deep. The GLX Northern Reaction was the best bait this week colour wise.

a1siEEO.png

My second biggest from this pond so far. Can't wait to break 15+lbs and battle a trophy

TsMXZXQ.png

Release shot. Such thick fish across the back

QadWpC6.png

Finally some afternoon action

G4MMs4W.png

Different colours on this one very cool

JizvjKb.png

Finessing these fish was something that took time. My hooks were fine wire and bend slightly often so going to modify the tackle for next season. Happy to catch every one the fish moved shallower once weather came in rather than deeper.

8fEQ7Sn.png

Smaller darker trout. This one gave me a scare at the boat as she got hung up on the motor

EM2CSPr.png

We had a blast this week! Setup was 15lb lead core on a Okuma Cold Water 8'M power rod. We had 20 colours but only needed that 9-12 mentioned earlier. Leader was 10lb Fluorocarbon. The second setup was 50lb braided line to a 1oz bottom bouncer and a 4ft 10lb fluoro leader behind it. Can't wait to get back in 2017 for some largies smallies and lake trout.

Tightlines!

MTBF

pvP5tkf.png

GoPro Edit

https://youtu.be/4rGbXsgAbdM

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Good job! I have never seen the need for lead core or the giant reels that come with it. My summer laker set up is the smallest size convector, 30 lb power pro and a light down rigging rod. Keel weights sink way quicker than bottom bouncers and if I use a small gang troll I will achieve all the depth I need with less than 140' of line out. Damn good avg size for an inland lake too.

Good job! I have never seen the need for lead core or the giant reels that come with it. My summer laker set up is the smallest size convector, 30 lb power pro and a light down rigging rod. Keel weights sink way quicker than bottom bouncers and if I use a small gang troll I will achieve all the depth I need with less than 140' of line out. Damn good avg size for an inland lake too.

I catch tons of lakers on lead core, and I use the same reel you use on a med rod. I usually get them with 5 or 6 colours out. Lots of fun them lakers!! Those are good sized fish to MTBF....stockers I see. Cool.

S.

O yea didn't need all that line but love the setup. Would like to get a Talora/Tekota combo for next year keep this setup for the passenger. Can't beat lead core nothing to it no clips, wires or weights just let it out and catch em! Here is the GoPro edit I just finished up.

https://youtu.be/4rGbXsgAbdM

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Careful now, once you start with the trolling it becomes addictive. You may never fish for those green carp again! I spend 70-80% of my fishing time trolling with the main or bowmount depending on species. I got my first tekota this year, just do it. Any reel that is smooth like silk with an angry king thrashing on the business end is worth the cash. I'm a convert! Those are some very nice fish, looks like a great week!

Edited by porkpie

Careful now, once you start with the trolling it becomes addictive. You may never fish for those green carp again! I spend 70-80% of my fishing time trolling with the main or bowmount depending on species. I got my first tekota this year, just do it. Any reel that is smooth like silk with an angry king thrashing on the business end is worth the cash. I'm a convert! Those are some very nice fish, looks like a great week!

Thanks for the reply's guys! It is addictive but after 2 real successful bass fishing trips earlier this summer it wasn't hard to keep seated and troll. In the mornings I would use the electric once the sun was up and it was wavy we would use the main engine with the bow mount down to slow the boat down a few points. Bass are still my main focus, next trip will be bass opening week. Might go up d day or two earlier next year get a day or two of trout in then pound the bass most of the week. Although my mornings are going to be Lake Trout 90% of the time that first hour or two anyway.

Reel was oversized yes it's a 20 size Abu. Held 60 or 70 yards of backing plus my 200yds of lead core. Setup only got heavy on big fish 10min+ fights and will make a great combo for my family. However that bottom bouncer technique was quite easy to deal with and something nobody does for them out here. Going to half to stock up on minnow baits now and create a small LT tackle box. I'll buy another 200yd spool of lead core as when the fish go deep in August in those 90-120' ranges id like to be able to let out that 12-14th colour when need be, thinking the Talora 8'M Leadcore rod and a Tekota 500LC...well figure it out that's the fun part!

Thanks for the comments guys!

honest question...why the led core? we troll lakers using mono on moochers...its a riot.

Honestly it was easy to learn and didn't need weights or a down rigger. Didn't think mono on a mooching reel would get 70 or 80 ft down like i needed to be most times through the trip. The lead core was expensive yes but easy to handle and let out. I'm good with knots and connecting it to my fluoro leader was easy and didn't break all trip lasted through it all.

Honestly it was easy to learn and didn't need weights or a down rigger. Didn't think mono on a mooching reel would get 70 or 80 ft down like i needed to be most times through the trip. The lead core was expensive yes but easy to handle and let out. I'm good with knots and connecting it to my fluoro leader was easy and didn't break all trip lasted through it all.

now i get it...i thought you guys were riggin with lead core

now i get it...i thought you guys were riggin with lead core

Was just easy too, had everything at the store I needed to rig up and be successful. Going to read and possibly learn about Steel, Copper, perhaps Planer Boards, Downrigging...For now I'll stick with what I know and bring a spinning rod up with lot's of line. Really want to try my White Swinging Hammer's and Tubes for them vertical jigging.

Was just easy too, had everything at the store I needed to rig up and be successful. Going to read and possibly learn about Steel, Copper, perhaps Planer Boards, Downrigging...For now I'll stick with what I know and bring a spinning rod up with lot's of line. Really want to try my White Swinging Hammer's and Tubes for them vertical jigging.

i say this to everyone who fishes the deep for trouts and zalmons

try a moocher...once you mooch you never go back