walleye on a topwater?

GBW

I would catch some off the dock in shallow in the evening on Thanksgiving weekend when cottaging on Haliburton, never during the summer. I always understood that they would come shallow in the fall when the frogs migrate to the lakes to hibernate.

Well it IS a kids weekend and we do like to go visit my folks so this time I'm going to pack my fishing gear and not have to rummage through what's in the boathouse... To bad the last section of dock is out as it would have been nice to be able to cast in a few more areas.

Hey Geoff, good thread, never caught one myself on top water. May I suggest a slip bobber, that method would also enable you to determine the depth where you are casting.

Hey Simon, thanks. However I know I can walk 30' out and be only chest deep mid summer and it's all stone/gravel in the area. When the boats done for the season I'm just happy to cast 100000 cast's with hope at one last fish from the spot. I just wasn't sure how good a top water lure would be for walleye as I have never tried it. Now with this thread I have other ideas and options when the boat goes to sleep. ;) I hope all is well up there bud.

Edited by GBW

I don't use top water but when the waves are right using a lure that doesn't go deeper then 1 ft I have caught a lot of walleye and very close to shore. Most people don't fish with conditions like that. But we get lots of fish

Yep, me too. Love catching them this way. Usually at night.